News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Regarding the setup to pay - I guess confusing is a better word than strange. The marketplace shops are very small so I'm not sure why they placed the cashiers along the entrance/exit of the store. What this means is that the only place to line up to pay is outside the store along the main pathway. It just felt weird to walk out of the store with unpaid merchandise in order to line up for the cash register.

The falcon does indeed have steam that comes out from underneath, I would say every 5-10 minutes -- although I didn't exactly time it. It's really cool. In the very first part of the queue, you get to walk really close to the falcon (almost underneath it).

The cantina doesn't really have a dedicated queue space. People were lined up outside the door and along the wall, with the line wrapping back around through the walkway.

The land wasn't too full. The walkways are VERY wide in most areas so it didn't feel full even with lots of people there. My time slot was 7-11PM and by 9:30ish it was beginning to really empty out. When I first got in the land there was a 45 min waits for Smuggler's Run. But again the longest wait overall was for the Cantina! Smuggler's Run had a 10 min wait by the time I left.
thanks for the info. follow up question, when you say you line up under the falcon do you mean the front portion or the back side of the falcon for the queue? also what is showing on the screen inside the cockpit of the falcon as you walk in it??

mickEblu

Can anyone who has been on the Falcon explain to me how they make up for the limited motion? I’m trying to imagine how they can make up for the fact that this thing apparently moves less than Star Tours but it’s
known for being the fastest ship in the galaxy that does all sorts of flips and inversions when we see it in the movies. Pushing buttons?

I can’t help but feel that some of these great reviews of the ride are influenced by the buzz of being in an amazing new land, walking past a life size Millennium Falcon into an elaborate queue with a Top 3 Disney animatronic, into a replica of the chess room and then ending in the famous cockpit. Not a knock anyone as it’s human nature but I wonder how many feel that it will still be exciting after the honeymoon phase? Another way to put it- how fun will this ride be for non Star Wars nerds?

Also does the fact it look more like a video game take you out of the moment or are most people so excited to be sitting in the Falcon that they don’t care? You have all these huge props, an amazing AA, a real physical world build up and then you step into the cockpit and you re looking at what appears to be a video game on a relatively small screen.

Last edited:

sponono88

thanks for the info. follow up question, when you say you line up under the falcon do you mean the front portion or the back side of the falcon for the queue? also what is showing on the screen inside the cockpit of the falcon as you walk in it??

The queue entrance is located next to the the front left section of the falcon. After going in you walk around the back of the falcon, so you pretty much do a half circle around it before going inside a warehouse (not sure of the official name).

Old Mouseketeer

Regarding the setup to pay - I guess confusing is a better word than strange. The marketplace shops are very small so I'm not sure why they placed the cashiers along the entrance/exit of the store. What this means is that the only place to line up to pay is outside the store along the main pathway. It just felt weird to walk out of the store with unpaid merchandise in order to line up for the cash register.

The falcon does indeed have steam that comes out from underneath, I would say every 5-10 minutes -- although I didn't exactly time it. It's really cool. In the very first part of the queue, you get to walk really close to the falcon (almost underneath it).

The cantina doesn't really have a dedicated queue space. People were lined up outside the door and along the wall, with the line wrapping back around through the walkway.

The land wasn't too full. The walkways are VERY wide in most areas so it didn't feel full even with lots of people there. My time slot was 7-11PM and by 9:30ish it was beginning to really empty out. When I first got in the land there was a 45 min waits for Smuggler's Run. But again the longest wait overall was for the Cantina! Smuggler's Run had a 10 min wait by the time I left.

And the merchandise stalls in the souk/marketplace raise an interesting issue. This idea of more than a half-dozen stalls is counter to Disneyland's history over 60+ years. When Disneyland opened it was on a much smaller scale than we are used to today. Smaller rides, shops (not stores), food service, and even restrooms. Oh yeah, and castles (worldwide). So the souk with it's small stalls with individual cash registers and awkward queues to pay is troubling. The current model is large retail spaces with centralized payment stations. It's an economy of scale that has become standard. The stalls and their wares were charming. But I'm not sure how well they will fare under the pressure of opening season crowds. My fear is that it will prove to be unmanageable.

Hawg G

Can anyone who has been on the Falcon explain to me how they make up for the limited motion? I’m trying to imagine how they can make up for the fact that this thing apparently moves less than Star Tours but it’s
known for being the fastest ship in the galaxy that does all sorts of flips and inversions when we see it in the movies. Pushing buttons?

I can’t help but feel that some of these great reviews of the ride are influenced by the buzz of being in an amazing new land, walking past a life size Millennium Falcon into an elaborate queue with a Top 3 Disney animatronic, into a replica of the chess room and then ending in the famous cockpit. Not a knock anyone as it’s human nature but I wonder how many feel that it will still be exciting after the honeymoon phase? Another way to put it- how fun will this ride be for non Star Wars nerds?

Also does the fact it look more like a video game take you out of the moment or are most people so excited to be sitting in the Falcon that they don’t care? You have all these huge props, an amazing AA, a real physical world build up and then you step into the cockpit and you re looking at what appears to be a video game.

ALL these reviews are from people enjoying a very empty land. One said the SR wait was 10 minutes at the end of their window. That says a couple things. Most people weren't interested in reriding it, even KNOWING this was the shortest line they'll have for years, and there was nobody there in general. I'd imagine reviews from people waiting 3 hours will be a bit different

Last edited:

mickEblu

ALL these reviews are from people enjoying a very empty land. One said the SR wait was 10 minutes at the end of their window. That says a couple things. Most people weren't interested in deriding it, and there was nobody there. I'd imagine reviews from people waiting 3 hours will be a bit different

While I don’t think it’s the only factor, this certainly would contribute greatly to the positive reviews.

Old Mouseketeer

ALL these reviews are from people enjoying a very empty land. One said the SR wait was 10 minutes at the end of their window. That says a couple things. Most people weren't interested in deriding it, and there was nobody there. I'd imagine reviews from people waiting 3 hours will be a bit different

What a great selective interpretation. There have been several posts from people (including myself) who rode multiple times. I enjoyed it more the second time and I have talked to people who have ridden it even more times who said the same thing. Most people I have talked to waited anywhere from 20-45 minutes. The only ones I know of who waited 5-10 minutes used the single rider line.

As to waiting 3 hours, this can be true of any new major attraction. What have people thought who waited that long for Indy, or Star Tours, or Racers, or Avatar (or Harry Potter)? New rides have long lines! OMFG, I just gave out a major spoiler!!! And new lands are crowded! Oh nozzzz! People demanded their money back by the tens of thousands because Harry Potter and Avatar were crowded. Oh wait, they didn't.

Hey, I've got an idea--how 'bout you go and visit it for yourself after it's open and THEN post your opinion based on actual experience, rather than conjecture. Yes, I got lucky. I got to visit it in previews and uncrowded. But IMO, it's gorgeous and will still be amazing, even when packed to the gills. I only got to see Pandora for the first time last fall. Even with pre-booking FastPass, I couldn't get FoP and had to wait 90 minutes for FoP every time, and the land was very packed even at opening. And guess what--I loved it! Even in the middle of a crowd the land was fantastic. Even with a long line, the ride was sensational. I predict most people will feel the same about SW:GE.

jamesv159

I should clarify I did the ride once in the general standby line and two times in Single-Rider. For single-rider, you skip pretty much everything up until the chess room.

For the regular standby line, the line splits into two separate groups at Hondo's room. I only did one side but I'm positive both sides are mirror images of each other. With regard to exiting the falcon, you just go back out through the same ramp you came in. I'm not sure if that answers your question!
Thanks for the update! I can't wait to see it next week!

Old Mouseketeer

What a nicely written trip report, of course I have some questions:

1.) Did you go into Oga’s? If you did how was Rex’s music? How were the drinks?
2.) Rise of the resistance resistance forest area was their interesting noices coming from the caves? I heard that from a podcast wanted to verify. They said they heard Bantas (or other equivalents) also some Wookiee.
3.) Any info on legacy sabers or droid depot? Did you feel them? Are they super high quality?
4.) Did the cast members really use the dialect they have been touting for a while?
5.) What does the “manual” gunner control entale? Is it like a new Hope with Luke on the gunner seat?

EDIT: 6.) Does your performance on the falcon affect your reputation in the land?

Sorry for all the questions just super excited.

(I’m definitely using this as a good bye)

Bright Suns!

6. We did check out a datapad (Disney smart phone because we couldn't use our own) to try out the PlayDisney app, but didn't make much use of it and didn't link it to our experience. So I'm not sure how that is going to work. Honestly, I don't think everything is locked in yet. These CM previews are part of the testing for the land and I thought, under those circumstances, the CMs did VERY well. Opening a traditional land is a big deal. But this was definitely a factor greater and I was impressed by how everyone was dealing with it. Sorry I can't speak to the whole "reputation" thing because I think it's intriguing.

Stevek

So for those of us that are prone to motion sickness, I can’t ride Star Tours, will we likely have challenges riding the falcon.

Rich T

Just wanted to add my experience for consumption and my 2 cents

DO EVERYTHING, if you are a star wars fan my recommendation is to do everything.

Droid building:
I was not super keen on building a droid and I was going to buy DJ-R3X instead (I didnt but when I go back I will) but it was easily one of my favorite things. The experience of doing it and watching him come to life was fantastic, you can also buy a backpack that your droid will fit in rather then the box they give you which I did and was worth every penny to me. Something about the droid no ones seems to have mentioned unless I missed it, the droids interact with each other as well as with the land as you walk through it. The personality chips are designed to interact more in certain parts of the lands as well.

Savi's Workshop:
By far my favorite experience, and it is an experience itself. Waiting in line they show you the pieces you will be using since you have to make a selection on what group of parts you wish to use when you build. You pay before going into the queue and wait about 15 minutes as each set is about that time length. Going into the shop you stand at almost something like a round table where about 15 builders build their sabers. A CM will then tell you about sabers and some history about them as well. I can't stress this enough, as a fan getting to chose my kyber crystal and build my saber was fantastic to me and worth every penny. The materials themselves are heavy and feel like metal my only issue with them is the accents don't all feel as nice as the legacy sabers, but that's really more of a nitpick than anything.

Dok Ondar's:
Speaking of legacy sabers they are sold at Dok Ondar's and there is a line for them I waited about 15 minutes to buy mine. They have a large assortment of different sabers from the movies and tv shows. Some feel better and look better than others, so my advice would be to chose the one you feel is of quality to you. Also something to keep in mind the hilt is the hilt by itself, you can purchase a blade and kyber crystal with it as well if you chose, but the blade from savi's is not the same for the legacy sabers. As far as the shop goes its a fantastic shop, the Dok Ondar animatronic is great, as far as interacting with him I'm not sure they were allowing that yet as I didn't and didn't see anyone else.

Smugglers Run:
I personally didn't ride it as I can have issues with small spaces and the cockpit is quite small in my opinion, my wife however did ride it and she enjoyed it not being a star wars fan. The queue itself is thoroughly detailed and the waiting area before getting on the ride is truly amazing. The Hondo Onaka animatronic is also great.

Overall I felt transported to star wars, everything that did truly does make it feel that way in my opinion. Even the way the doors open to the little sounds you hear walking through the land and I can't wait to go back on the 31'st. If anyone has any other specific questions I will try my best to answer
"Worth every penny."
Dude, you are Disney's dream customer. I'm glad you had a wonderful time. My goal is to enter and exit SWGE and enjoy as much as I can without spending a dime, but I don't mean that as a knock at SW fans; there are non-Disney-owned properties that I'm sure could empty my wallet if they ever became a theme park land. :)

sponono88

These a 7 second video posted on youtube of the ride. Not sure if it's real or not.

It's definitely real! I wonder if that was a CM that recorded it or a guest of a CM. If it was a guest, would the CM that accompanied him/her still get fired?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom