News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Disney Irish

Premium Member
First, the quotes I sourced weren't finite or temporary statements. They were absolute. /sith

Second, the fact that they've spent a billion dollars on a land with two attractions that have characters and situations set firmly in that timeline.

Primary examples being the fact that Rey, Finn, Poe and Kylo are alive and well within the Resistance in the ROTR attraction and the fact that the battle between the Resistance and First Order is on going. The Sequel Trilogy is likely going to conclude with at least one of those characters or circumstances coming to an end. They're not going to overhaul the entire land 7 months after it debuts because the films have passed its point in continuity. The same way it's a specific place in space it is also a specific place in time.

Just know that I actually agree it'll be stuck in this specific time period for at least the first couple of years. And if you go back to one of my previous posts I actually make the same point of them not updating the land quickly enough to be on the same continuity as the movies post EP9.

However the fact that you posted they made specific statements saying such made me question this. Because I still don't see where they made a specific statement saying this. From what I can tell you are inferring that this is the case rather than actually having a specific statement to refer to.

So we're on the same page, I just wanted know where you got this information from, and now I know you don't have actual information but rather inferred the information.

zooey

Just know that I actually agree it'll be stuck in this specific time period for at least the first couple of years. And if you go back to one of my previous posts I actually make the same point of them not updating the land quickly enough to be on the same continuity as the movies post EP9.

However the fact that you posted they made specific statements saying such made me question this. Because I still don't see where they made a specific statement saying this. From what I can tell you are inferring that this is the case rather than actually having a specific statement to refer to.

So we're on the same page, I just wanted know where you got this information from, and now I know you don't have actual information but rather inferred the information.
Same way HP is stuck with those kids at school and Voldemort running around. Once they’re built they don’t progress the timeline. I’m not sure why youd ever think they would.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Same way HP is stuck with those kids at school and Voldemort running around. Once they’re built they don’t progress the timeline. I’m not sure why youd ever think they would.

Because that's what the reporters were told on their recent tour. They could change things to advance the timeline or even go back in time to the original trilogy.

But... that flies in the face of how to retro-fit RotR to make that happen without huge costs. It also flies in the face of WDW's usual inertia and not wanting to spend money on changes unless it will bring in a proportional extra income.

So, despite what the reporters' tour guides said... it'll be highly unlikely the time frame of GE will ever change, even though they could theoretically change it.

drod1985

Because that's what the reporters were told on their recent tour. They could change things to advance the timeline or even go back in time to the original trilogy.

I think that could be misconstrued from a lot of the quotes flying around. Here are some pulled from io9's "77 facts" article.

First - Pablo Hidalgo of the Lucasfilm Story Group said “Should Star Wars jump around in time, as it is oft wont to do, we know how Batuu is represented in that time frame,” but this isn't necessarily in reference to the parks, its moreso in reference to the additional canon materials Lucasfilm publishes that involves Batuu/Black Spire. Books, Comics, TV Shows, etc. They've got its history mapped out so they know what it looks like in different periods. That's both the context of Pablo's role in the company and the implied context of the quote.

However, the land is prepared to change. VP of Development Carrie Beck said “There are things that exist within the land that suggest there are stories still waiting to be told. And those things can be integrated with some of the stories that may go into the future.”

Chris Beatty, Executive Creative Director for Imagineering, also said "We’ve also built in the ability as this land grows, as new characters come on board, as new stories come out, as we see how our guests react to the land, the ability to open new spaces and flex spaces. So we built in the ability, in the future, to build the land out more. So we already in our heads kind of know a little bit of what’s next.”

If you take these quotes along with the previous quotes I sourced it's pretty easy to infer that yes, the land is set firmly between TLJ and IX, but there's definitely room for the story around Batuu and Black Spire Outpost to evolve and grow in the coming years. I'd expect that to be realized via the in-land story and missions surrounding ancillary characters like Dok-Ondar and Harkos.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Just to be clear I never thought they would progress in the timeline. I even stated that I personally believe it'll be stuck between EP8 and EP9 forever. Someone else made that statement that SW whole deal was maintaining continuity throughout all mediums.

The only reason why I questioned it was because the poster stated that LucasFilm specifically came out and said something specific about this topic. So I wanted to know where that information came from, and of course it was just the poster inferring something from the EW article and from some twitter posts. There is no clear statement from LucasFilms or Disney on the effect the films/books will have on the land in regards to timeline.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think that could be misconstrued from a lot of the quotes flying around. Here are some pulled from io9's "77 facts" article.

First - Pablo Hidalgo of the Lucasfilm Story Group said “Should Star Wars jump around in time, as it is oft wont to do, we know how Batuu is represented in that time frame,” but this isn't necessarily in reference to the parks, its moreso in reference to the additional canon materials Lucasfilm publishes that involves Batuu/Black Spire. Books, Comics, TV Shows, etc. They've got its history mapped out so they know what it looks like in different periods. That's both the context of Pablo's role in the company and the implied context of the quote.

However, the land is prepared to change. VP of Development Carrie Beck said “There are things that exist within the land that suggest there are stories still waiting to be told. And those things can be integrated with some of the stories that may go into the future.”

Chris Beatty, Executive Creative Director for Imagineering, also said "We’ve also built in the ability as this land grows, as new characters come on board, as new stories come out, as we see how our guests react to the land, the ability to open new spaces and flex spaces. So we built in the ability, in the future, to build the land out more. So we already in our heads kind of know a little bit of what’s next.”

If you take these quotes along with the previous quotes I sourced it's pretty easy to infer that yes, the land is set firmly between TLJ and IX, but there's definitely room for the story around Batuu and Black Spire Outpost to evolve and grow in the coming years. I'd expect that to be realized via the in-land story and missions surrounding ancillary characters like Dok-Ondar and Harkos.

However with this said, and you admit you're inferring without having a direct quote to them actually confirming something, this is Disney Parks we're talking about.

They have made statements before about the "ability" to make changes but never do. For example, TSMM was suppose to be able to make changes, but its been stuck in the same mode since it opened.

So we'll see if over time as the canon changes will the land change along with it. And will it be quick enough to do so. I don't believe it will, what you see at opening will likely be how it is for at least several years.

Old Mouseketeer

However with this said, and you admit you're inferring without having a direct quote to them actually confirming something, this is Disney Parks we're talking about.

They have made statements before about the "ability" to make changes but never do. For example, TSMM was suppose to be able to make changes, but its been stuck in the same mode since it opened.

So we'll see if over time as the canon changes will the land change along with it. And will it be quick enough to do so. I don't believe it will, what you see at opening will likely be how it is for at least several years.

Actually, I believe they did change out one game in TSMM. I think there was some talk during construction of the opportunity for seasonal overlays, but since it continues to have high ridership, I don't think they'll see any justification.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Actually, I believe they did change out one game in TSMM. I think there was some talk during construction of the opportunity for seasonal overlays, but since it continues to have high ridership, I don't think they'll see any justification.
So one minor change for an attraction that is 11 years old. For an attraction that supposedly can be changed at will, that doesn't bode well for SW:GE to have changes to stay within the larger SW continuity.

Anyways, its what I expected so I don't really care if they do update the continuity after it opens.

Last edited:

JD2000

A source very close to me, who does not actually exist, and is just me guessing, told me to expect the reservation period to be almost identical to how AP previews for Pandora worked. You get an entry time and two hours to do everything. Just one ride permitted to enjoy Smuggler's Run. And just one reservation for the entirety of this period (you read that right). And Rise of the Resistance opens June 24th.

:p

fctiger

Waiting for both rides to be open.

For us, what we decided is to try our luck and see if we can make a reservation when it opens. We have APs and live 25 mins away with flexible work schedules so it won't be hard for us to go if we actually do end up getting a chance in June. But if that doesn't work out then will probably just wait until they both open and will literally spend the entire day if we have to to do them both.

I can't wait until we hear how the reservation system will work. We have no intentions of trying for the first day but we figure with three weeks to try, it would be crazy to think we won't be able to get a slot somewhere if you sign up early. I'm guessing you will be able to sign up online when it does happen.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Original Poster

But... that flies in the face of how to retro-fit RotR to make that happen without huge costs. It also flies in the face of WDW's usual inertia and not wanting to spend money on changes unless it will bring in a proportional extra income.

So, despite what the reporters' tour guides said... it'll be highly unlikely the time frame of GE will ever change, even though they could theoretically change it.

I agree, from the sounds of things RotR is the 'problem' attraction that fixes themselves to a narrow time period.

Hondo and the MF could theoretically be changed with a few lines of dialogue to occur during a huge period of time during Star Wars canon. Especially since Han didn't have access to it for so many years.

Jones14

I guess my question is, why does having the land set between films constitute it being “out of continuity”? That’s not how continuity works.

Out of continuity would be when something within the land contradicts the period of events and the places it is attempting to convey. An example is that Gringotts is set during Voldemort’s rule, but the rest of the land seems to sit somewhere around the fifth movie.

Assuming Kylo Ren dies in IX, that doesn’t make the land “out of continuity”, it just means he can’t die in Rise of the Resistance, because the story isn’t at the point where he dies yet.

It’s the same principle as Rogue One, or any other in-between movie in the series. They’re not out of the continuity, they’re just showing you what happens before you get to the end.

ThistleMae

I don’t let things that shouldn’t matter in the grand scheme of things get in the way of enjoying the land versus others. ;)
I hope the "others" just like to vent, but end up enjoying the ride and the park nonetheless. However, you will get your negative Nancies, who are never satisfied no matter what the discussion. Glass half empty people are everywhere!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom