News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Phroobar

60f883ad24b0b6df4d30f480619a1003e0b7dbd8_hq.jpg

truecoat

I loved MiceChat back in 2011 when’s DCA was being fixed. Cars Land updates from Mintcrocodile have been replaced by Galaxy’s Edge updates by SILA and Yensid.

Yes, I followed that forum religiously...for 5+ years maybe? It was pretty unique in that so much of an active theme park was being transformed and you could see the changes every day. Visiting Christmas 2012 was pretty special to see all these changes first hand and finally ride RSR!

BubbaQuest

In general is MiceChat looked at as unreliable or negative forum? Not sure of the history.

During the DCA 1.0 days, MiceAge/Chat was probably the most insightful and critical (in a good way) website about the Disneyland Resort.

I still read occasionally, but mainly stopped because of the heavy Pixie Dust forums. Lots of personal attacks from both sides in those forums.

However I don't think the entire site should be ignored. To make it relevant to this thread, I think they were the first ones to have any real information about the reconfiguration of Rivers of America for a rumored Star Wars Land. It may not have been 100% accurate, but it was clear that Disney was talking about some major backstage changes.

I look at the website as a "blue sky" far future insider information/rumor site. I don't assume everything to be 100% accurate or 100% guaranteed. There are a lot of people that try to discredit the entire site because one sentence in one article 5 years ago was not 100% correct. Sometimes make me wonder if there is a coordinated effort to discredit the whole site because they often are the first to leak insider information.

ThistleMae

Getting advice about a ride is so super subjective. I once asked a CM about the Mummy ride at Universal...I don't like coaster type rides. He told me it was a mild thrill ride. Ugh....not so much. Hated every second of it, closed my eyes the entire time. But...if thrill rides don't effect you...definitely try all the rides you want. You just never know. To me, the Harry Potter themed land is so authentic, I don't even care about the rides. I love the train ride over.

Old Mouseketeer

Just a thought:

If they set a one alcoholic drink per guest, per day; the limited seating at the cantina would be less of an issue.

Not much less, I think. Assuming the rumored capacity of the Cantina to be 100 people and a turnover of 15 minutes per drink, that's 400 people served per hour (a really optimistic estimate IMO). If the Cantina is open from 11am to 11pm (final call before park closing) that's a maximum of 4800 guests for the whole day. Let's say park attendance is 60k and half of those are adults. Now assume only one third would be interested in our overpriced pre-mixed libations. Those 10,000 people are still more than double our theoretical 4800.

Limiting service to one drink per guest could help and there are many ways to set these variables (mine are by no means reliable). But I think they will be unable to meet anything close to the demand.

But this just reinforces in my mind the wisdom of using a reservation (timed-entry) system for the first few weeks. There's just no other way to safely manage the crush of guests into the back corner of the park. However, it raises another question about crowd management on the approaches to the three entrances to SW:GE. I wonder if there will be a queue for Falcon standby extending out one of the entrances. Or maybe the outdoor portion of the RotR queue can be borrowed for extended Falcon queue?

TP2000

Not much less, I think. Assuming the rumored capacity of the Cantina to be 100 people and a turnover of 15 minutes per drink, that's 400 people served per hour (a really optimistic estimate IMO). If the Cantina is open from 11am to 11pm (final call before park closing) that's a maximum of 4800 guests for the whole day. Let's say park attendance is 60k and half of those are adults. Now assume only one third would be interested in our overpriced pre-mixed libations. Those 10,000 people are still more than double our theoretical 4800.

15 minutes per person spent in the Cantina is not just really optimistic, it's just impossible. @Curious Constance could get one of those slurpee things at a 7-11 she raves about in under 15 minutes, but the Cantina is a different animal.

Using Trader Sam's and their service and business model as the closest current example, it would seem that 30 minutes per person-per drink is the most optimistic you could get. Although most customers would be closer to an hour and two drinks per visit.

Although, if I had to book a month in advance I'm going to make this count and have two drinks and an appetizer and I would expect to be there for an hour taking it all in, chatting with the bartender, pouring over the menu, watching Rex do his show and play his songs, seeing what happens to the machinery when someone orders the big fancy drink, etc., etc.

With that, there are two scenarios Disney could go with; the super efficient 30 minutes per visit ("Sir, you have to leave now") or the less structured 60 minutes per visit.

Super Efficient One-Drink & No-Appetizer 30 Minute Visit = 200 customers per hour
14 Hour Operating Day = 2,800 customers per day

More Relaxed Two-Drink & One-Appetizer 60 Minute Visit = 100 customers per hour
14 Hour Operating Day = 1,400 customers per day

The reality, especially for the first year when all the fans and AP's will want to linger and explore, is somewhere in between those two numbers. Either scenario is terrifying from a crowd control and customer service perspective. God help 'em, it's going to be messy! :oops:

All that said, for the opening night I will be very upset if they don't invite "the bearded guy" and get this fabulous WDW CM to recreate her schtick with a Star Wars theme. Now that he had his first drink a few years ago, the bearded guy needs to experience the Cantina!

Last edited:

Bongocrab88

But this just reinforces in my mind the wisdom of using a reservation (timed-entry) system for the first few weeks.

Totally agree. They need to have something in place given the small capacity.

Honestly the biggest problem will be getting people out of the bar, even with a drink limit. I see this being more of an issue for DL as opposed to WDW given the huge amount of local traffic we receive. Would it make sense to cycle groups in and out in mass? Purchasing a wristband before entry, good for 1 drink after the hour window they clear everyone out for the next batch.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That’s not how Disney/Lucasfilm have said GE is working.

That is exactly how Disney/Lucasfilm said GE is working.

They also said they have the ability to allow certain aspects of the park grow/change over time. Those changes will more likely be to the Batuu/Black Spire story elements rather than the story elements connecting to the ST.

Can you please provide the exact quote on where they said it was going to be stuck between EP8 and EP9 for an extended time.

drod1985

Can you please provide the exact quote on where they said it was going to be stuck between EP8 and EP9 for an extended time.

Source 1 (which I already provided in a previous post): Entertainment Weekly

Your visit is meant to feel like part of the galactic timeline, set somewhere after the events of The Last Jedi and shortly before this December’s Episode IX.

Source 2: Matt Martin, Lucasfilm Story Group

8xpij543wzy11.jpg

+Various quotes from Trowbridge and other Disney/LFL employees about the land having the ability to evolve

Old Mouseketeer

15 minutes per person spent in the Cantina is not just really optimistic, it's just impossible. @Curious Constance could get one of those slurpee things at a 7-11 she raves about in under 15 minutes, but the Cantina is a different animal.

Using Trader Sam's and their service and business model as the closest current example, it would seem that 30 minutes per person-per drink is the most optimistic you could get. Although most customers would be closer to an hour and two drinks per visit.

Although, if I had to book a month in advance I'm going to make this count and have two drinks and an appetizer and I would expect to be there for an hour taking it all in, chatting with the bartender, pouring over the menu, watching Rex do his show and play his songs, seeing what happens to the machinery when someone orders the big fancy drink, etc., etc.

With that, there are two scenarios Disney could go with; the super efficient 30 minutes per visit ("Sir, you have to leave now") or the less structured 60 minutes per visit.

Super Efficient One-Drink & No-Appetizer 30 Minute Visit = 200 customers per hour
14 Hour Operating Day = 2,800 customers per day

More Relaxed Two-Drink & One-Appetizer 60 Minute Visit = 100 customers per hour
14 Hour Operating Day = 1,400 customers per day

The reality, especially for the first year when all the fans and AP's will want to linger and explore, is somewhere in between those two numbers. Either scenario is terrifying from a crowd control and customer service perspective. God help 'em, it's going to be messy! :oops:

All that said, for the opening night I will be very upset if they don't invite "the bearded guy" and get this fabulous WDW CM to recreate her schtick with a Star Wars theme. Now that he had his first drink a few years ago, the bearded guy needs to experience the Cantina!

Totally agree. I was intentionally trying to make the most optimistic estimate possible for arguments sake. I agree with the Trader Sam's comparison, but I would temper it with Cove Bar, pre-expansion.

Now if we could just get them to expand cocktail service to Tropical Hideaway and offer an AP special (look over here--bright shiny thing! Ooohhhh!)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Source 1 (which I already provided in a previous post): Entertainment Weekly

Source 2: Matt Martin, Lucasfilm Story Group

8xpij543wzy11.jpg

+Various quotes from Trowbridge and other Disney/LFL employees about the land having the ability to evolve

Yes I know all that, and we all understand where it is in the timeline when it opens. But where does it say that it will be actually be stuck in that timeline for an extended period of time?

drod1985

But where does it say that it will be actually be stuck in that timeline for an extended period of time?

First, the quotes I sourced weren't finite or temporary statements. They were absolute. /sith

Second, the fact that they've spent a billion dollars on a land with two attractions that have characters and situations set firmly in that timeline.

Primary examples being the fact that Rey, Finn, Poe and Kylo are alive and well within the Resistance in the ROTR attraction and the fact that the battle between the Resistance and First Order is on going. The Sequel Trilogy is likely going to conclude with at least one of those characters or circumstances coming to an end. They're not going to overhaul the entire land 7 months after it debuts because the films have passed its point in continuity. The same way it's a specific place in space it is also a specific place in time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom