News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

SWGalaxysEdge

Who wants to see a great "insider" picture of the Smuggler's Run attraction?
Shhhhh don't tell anyone

ridescreen-july2018.png

mickEblu

Are we looking at 5 cockpits there?

I think so. I know their are supposed to be 4 turntables with 7 pods each. That’s definitely one of the pods we’re looking at. I just don’t recall anyone mentioning how many cockpits are in each pod. Looks like it’s 5.

EDIT: It can’t be 5 cockpits per pod. That would mean 840 people could ride at the same time (4 turntables x 7 pods x 30 people (6 people per cockpit). If that were the case the rider throughput would be way higher than 1800 people per hour. Each pod must be one cockpit then.

Last edited:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I think so. I know their are supposed to be 4 turntables with 7 pods each. That’s definitely one of the pods we’re looking at. I just don’t recall anyone mentioning how many cockpits are in each pod. Looks like it’s 5.

EDIT: It can’t be 5 cockpits per pod. That would mean 840 people could ride at the same time (4 turntables x 7 pods x 30 people (6 people per cockpit). If that were the case the rider throughput would be way higher than 1800 people per hour.

Yeah, it's one cockpit per pod, you're just seeing temporary scaffolding so they can reach areas for painting or whatever they are doing.

mickEblu

Yeah, it's one cockpit per pod, you're just seeing temporary scaffolding so they can reach areas for painting or whatever they are doing.

Right makes sense. Imagine that rider throughput if they could have squeezed even two cockpits per pod? Of course I don’t if that’s physically possible and I’m guessing that would diminish the ride experience they re going for

mickEblu

Has to be one cockpit per pod because the actions of one cockpit determine the footage projected in the pod.

That’s right. I wasn’t thinking about the interactive element. I think losing or limiting that element for twice the rider throughput per hour would have been a good tradeoff. It also would have had the added benefit of making them focus on one solid ride experience instead of video game rendering.

Of course that’s assuming that the interactivity is the only thing thats stopping them from having more than one cockpit per pod.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
That’s right. I wasn’t thinking about the interactive element. I think losing or limiting that element for twice the rider throughput per hour would have been a good tradeoff. It also would have had the added benefit of making them focus on one solid ride experience instead of video game rendering.

Of course that’s assuming that the interactivity is the only thing thats stopping them from having more than one cockpit per pod.

If you look at the behind-the-scenes footage Disney released at Christmas, the Falcon's windows go back as far as a little bit behind the front seats. Those screens need to be pretty big to cover that area. To me, that's the main reason it's one cockpit per pod.

I think if they sacrificed the interactiveness for more capacity, then the attraction becomes what a lot of people originally assumed it would be.....just another Star Tours type simulator. The interactiveness is what sets it apart from that.

mickEblu

If you look at the behind-the-scenes footage Disney released at Christmas, the Falcon's windows go back as far as a little bit behind the front seats. Those screens need to be pretty big to cover that area. To me, that's the main reason it's one cockpit per pod.

I think if they sacrificed the interactiveness for more capacity, then the attraction becomes what a lot of people originally assumed it would be.....just another Star Tours type simulator. The interactiveness is what sets it apart from that.

I guess we’ll have to see. Interactiveness just for the sake of interactiveness isn’t necessarily a good thing. If the whole thing looks like a video game it’ll take me out of it.

I think there is plenty of other stuff that can set it apart from Star Tours. The ride system being one of course. I’m expecting that we ll be able to move in ways that Star Tours just can’t. Second, the lore of the Falcon and being able to walk inside of it and sit in the cockpit.

If you gave me the option of one solid, thrilling ride experience with top notch visuals vs the option of a super interactive ride with ride experiences that can vary from just good to great with video game like visuals I’d go with the former.

SWGalaxysEdge

Back to the Smuggler's Run... from my #SWGECA contact today...
"...since we still are testing, for us it’s one step forward and two steps back, it’s not the ride vehicles or other mechanics just having programming problems right now ..."

Then they added, regarding the ADA pods...
"...In addition to the 28 that rotate on the track, there are 4 non rotating pods fixed that are used for guests with disabilities that accommodate wheelchairs for transfer. 1 for each of the 4 sections/turntable areas...."

Then I asked about how many people the ADA pod holds...
"...The same as the other pods. It’s exactly the same cockpit. The ADA riders have to transfer to the seats..."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom