News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

SWGalaxysEdge

Falcon progress at Hollywood Studios. I know this is a DisneyLand forum, but I wanted you to see the progress of the Florida Falcon.
This was taken earlier today during a overhead helicopter flight. A little blurry because I zoomed in the original picture.
Photo credit :mad:bioreconstruct (twitter)
04.png

Stripes

But a whole third of the building is that First Order hangar - one show scene. I’m just saying, keep expectations in check and you’ll be happy.
I've done the measurements. The total ground space of the show building is 75,000 sq ft. The ride is 45,000 sq ft on two levels. (20,000 sq ft for hanger and 10,000 sq ft on two levels for maintenance among other things.) 90,000 sq ft in total ride space. That is right in line with the ride space in Shanghai Pirates which is also at nearly exactly 90,000 sq ft in ride space. By comparison, the entire DL Pirates show building is 65,000 sq ft.
Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 11.43.39 AM.png

Bear in mind, a lot this area is queue, restaurants, shops etc. but I don't have a blueprint of the ride, so I'm not going to try to guess just how much isn't ride space.

Also, not sure if you knew: the hanger is part of the queue.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yeah, there is no way we could expect guests to transfer mid-ride.
People (especially today) are... I'm trying to pick a non offensive term... "dense" and not alert.
They're often a physical mess too.
I don't expect much out of them, and I'm certain Disney is aware of that.
One boarding is more than enough of a psychological and physical workout for most to manage.

Asking them to do so Is similar to the backlot tour... or the haunted mansion . The latter is probably more akin

Jones14

Based on Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, American Adventure, Horizons, World of Motion, Kilimanjaro Safaris and of course, Universe of Energy.
If I’m not mistaken, the ride is rumored to be roughly the same length as Haunted Mansion, so it’s not like it’s gonna be a short ride.

SWGalaxysEdge

"Rise of the Resistance"(RotR) - news.

Disneyland Paris released a report about the future of the park. One "rumor" for them was the addition of 2 new attractions including "Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway" (DHS is getting it this year)

Disney released this image as part of the talk. Notice the ride vehicles are similar in size and capacity to the RotR attraction at #SWGalaxysEdge - They are using a lot of screen projections as well as physical sets.

Might be a preview of what kinds of things to expect on our Star Wars ride experience. (no, not Mickey! - lol)
MaMRR-ridecar.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
"Rise of the Resistance"(RotR) - news.

Disneyland Paris released a report about the future of the park. One "rumor" for them was the addition of 2 new attractions including "Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway" (DHS is getting it this year)

Disney released this image as part of the talk. Notice the ride vehicles are similar in size and capacity to the RotR attraction at #SWGalaxysEdge - They are using a lot of screen projections as well as physical sets.

Might be a preview of what kinds of things to expect on our Star Wars ride experience. (no, not Mickey! - lol)
View attachment 340866

Yes, it's been well known that both rides will use an LPS (local positioning system) for its ride vehicles, similar to the wonderful Mystic Manor and the dreaded Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin rides.

MMRR will use "2.5 D" to create 3D effects. It will be heavily projection based with some physical sets and audioanimatronics.

RotR will rely more heavily on sets and animatronics and just about every ride-based physical effect. It will also have a much larger scope, such as being in a two story room with AT-ATs.

mickEblu

Read this from Westsider from the site we dont speak of... Rat Talk. A lot of it is regarding concerns that many have shared on the topic of SWL capacity/ operations but I believe he has a good rep/ some inside info and goes into a bit more detail.

"Management is already having a difficult time getting people to apply to go to GE. They need hundreds of CM's just for attractions, but very few people applied. The problem is that the Test and Adjust crew has been there for a year now, and they know all the problems the rides will face. Management also had a hard time getting quality candidates to fill the middle managers and front line management spots, and TDA filled the management teams with some very inexperienced candidates. There are respected DL managers with decades of experience who said "No way in heck!" would they go to GE, and that has filtered down to the hourly CM's with seniority too. The smart CM's are staying away.

The whole concept is going to be a nightmare and there will be a lot of associated problems to deal with. The capacity of both rides is way too low. Millenium Falcon gets 1800 an hour with all four turntables running with every seat filled, even though only two of the six seats are the "pilot" positions and everyone is going to want to be the pilot instead of a dumb helper in the back row. The ROTR ride is closer to 1500 an hour, and that's assuming the thing works. There are multiple ride systems in ROTR, if one ride system stops or faults, the entire thing is closed. Right now they can't get the entire ride to work for more than 15 minutes at a time without stopping for hours to reset and fix.

People who have seen the stores and dining are alarmed at how small and cramped things are, especially the much hyped Cantina. The Cantina has a half dozen small booths, and one dozen bar stools to sit at, that's it. There will be standing space, but not a lot. You can't fit more than 100 people in the Cantina at a time. If you average a 30 minute visit, that would be 3,000 people per day who could visit the Cantina. Disneyland already easily gets 60,000 people per day. Do you wanna be the guy who has to tell 57,000 people they can't get in each day?

There is a fast food location, think a Batuu version of Boardwalk Pizza n Pasta over at DCA, and several small ODV type carts that are highly themed. That's it for dining in the land.

The hyping and opening of GE could ruin Disneyland for years to come. More and more CM's are really starting to worry what it will mean for their ride or location even if they don't transfer to GE."

NateD1226

Read this from Westsider from the site we dont speak of... Rat Talk. A lot of it is regarding concerns that many have shared on the topic of SWL capacity/ operations but I believe he has a good rep/ some inside info and goes into a bit more detail.

"Management is already having a difficult time getting people to apply to go to GE. They need hundreds of CM's just for attractions, but very few people applied. The problem is that the Test and Adjust crew has been there for a year now, and they know all the problems the rides will face. Management also had a hard time getting quality candidates to fill the middle managers and front line management spots, and TDA filled the management teams with some very inexperienced candidates. There are respected DL managers with decades of experience who said "No way in heck!" would they go to GE, and that has filtered down to the hourly CM's with seniority too. The smart CM's are staying away.

The whole concept is going to be a nightmare and there will be a lot of associated problems to deal with. The capacity of both rides is way too low. Millenium Falcon gets 1800 an hour with all four turntables running with every seat filled, even though only two of the six seats are the "pilot" positions and everyone is going to want to be the pilot instead of a dumb helper in the back row. The ROTR ride is closer to 1500 an hour, and that's assuming the thing works. There are multiple ride systems in ROTR, if one ride system stops or faults, the entire thing is closed. Right now they can't get the entire ride to work for more than 15 minutes at a time without stopping for hours to reset and fix.

People who have seen the stores and dining are alarmed at how small and cramped things are, especially the much hyped Cantina. The Cantina has a half dozen small booths, and one dozen bar stools to sit at, that's it. There will be standing space, but not a lot. You can't fit more than 100 people in the Cantina at a time. If you average a 30 minute visit, that would be 3,000 people per day who could visit the Cantina. Disneyland already easily gets 60,000 people per day. Do you wanna be the guy who has to tell 57,000 people they can't get in each day?

There is a fast food location, think a Batuu version of Boardwalk Pizza n Pasta over at DCA, and several small ODV type carts that are highly themed. That's it for dining in the land.

The hyping and opening of GE could ruin Disneyland for years to come. More and more CM's are really starting to worry what it will mean for their ride or location even if they don't transfer to GE."
I'm calling it now that one attraction is going to close for the day ON opening day.

mickEblu

I don't exactly think ride shut downs in January for a June opening qualify as scandalous... yet.

Usually we are still at the 'nothing will be finished in time for opening' phase this far out, so call me optimistic.

I agree. I didn’t share to say the sky is falling. Only to share what seems to be a detailed post based on insider knowledge.

mickEblu

Yup, I think the dining capacity is the more scandalous. I thought there was going to be a table service of sorts, or at least in the be our guest/potter venue style.

Yeah they re should have been one nice sit down place and that cantina situation sounds ridiculous.

SWGalaxysEdge

...wow. I need to look into this with my contacts and see what their take is. I've got a contact directly working on RotR too.

lifeisgoodboy

I've done the measurements. The total ground space of the show building is 75,000 sq ft. The ride is 45,000 sq ft on two levels. (20,000 sq ft for hanger and 10,000 sq ft on two levels for maintenance among other things.) 90,000 sq ft in total ride space. That is right in line with the ride space in Shanghai Pirates which is also at nearly exactly 90,000 sq ft in ride space. By comparison, the entire DL Pirates show building is 65,000 sq ft.
View attachment 340789
Bear in mind, a lot this area is queue, restaurants, shops etc. but I don't have a blueprint of the ride, so I'm not going to try to guess just how much isn't ride space.

Also, not sure if you knew: the hanger is part of the queue.

I hope this right for Disneyland pirates ride square feet :
Number of show buildings:
2 (112,826 square feet)

Here is the link: http://pirates.wikia.com/wiki/Pirates_of_the_Caribbean_(ride)

Here is the link for the blueprints for Disneyland pirates ride:

http://www.alanhague.com/he/images/pirate1.jpg

http://www.alanhague.com/he/images/pirate2.jpg

Incomudro

"Everyone's" not going to want to be pilot.
I don't know what the portion of families is vs random groups - but families will readily give the pilot seat up to either someone in charge - father/mother, or let one of the kids do it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom