News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

SWGalaxysEdge

Sure... even though Poe’s black and orange x-wing was destroyed in Ep 8, as was Kylo’s mask, but both appear to be in fine shape in the promos for Galaxy’s Edge.

But whatever.

..I just assumed he got a new one. They show a blue one
galaxyedge1.jpg
in the model.

Curious Constance

I still have a pumpkin on my avatar, that’s how long it’s been. So I’m way out of the loop, but hey everyone! Any word yet on Star Wars Land opening date? We are vacationing to So Cal beaches/Legoland (before my son is too old to enjoy it) this year with no plans to go to Disneyland. I could see being convinced to make a one day pit stop though provided it’s before SWL opens. I don’t want to deal with a mob. Next year we will probably take a more DL resort specific trip because my daughter is amazing and is in the highest concert band at her school as a freshman which means that she gets to make trips two trips to DL to perform with her band at the park. It’s always been my dream to see her perform at the parks!!! I’m already misting up thinking about it. 😍

TROR

I still have a pumpkin on my avatar, that’s how long it’s been. So I’m way out of the loop, but hey everyone! Any word yet on Star Wars Land opening date? We are vacationing to So Cal beaches/Legoland (before my son is too old to enjoy it) this year with no plans to go to Disneyland. I could see being convinced to make a one day pit stop though provided it’s before SWL opens. I don’t want to deal with a mob. Next year we will probably take a more DL resort specific trip because my daughter is amazing and is in the highest concert band at her school as a freshman which means that she gets to make trips two trips to DL to perform with her band at the park. It’s always been my dream to see her perform at the parks!!! I’m already misting up thinking about it. 😍
Been wondering where you've been at. Welcome back. June 21st seems to be the word on when the land will open.

mickEblu

I don’t understand. How were you getting through the brutal weeks without news of Dumbo hedge walls and planter removals to keep you afloat? Do understand how much you missed?

TP2000

Let’s hope it’s June 21 because that would work out perfectly for me!

Hello old friend! So nice to see you again.

Bog Iger went on record yesterday in Barron's as saying Disneyland's Star Wars Land will officially open "in June". We got a month, but no day from Bobby. Barron's was given exclusive access to a tour of the land at Disneyland, and then had a sit-down talk with Bobby about it, as the first media outlet given that courtesy.

Then in a related article in Barron's, the magazine author theorized that the land would open "in early June".

Later in the day, one of those theme park website guys who blog about new bus stops and remodeled snack bars in Orlando (I honestly can't remember who it was? But supposedly he's someone prominent in the Orlando blogging community?) announced that he'd heard from his "sources" that June 21st-23rd was going to be a media event for Disneyland's Star Wars Land, which would likely place the grand opening date on the weekend of June 29th.

We don't have an exact date, but at least we now know it's June. I put two churros on June 8th, because I'm a gambler in life and love.

Curious Constance

I don’t understand. How were you getting through the brutal weeks without news of Dumbo hedge walls and planter removals to keep you afloat? Do understand how much you missed?

Yes, I do. And I’m expecting you to sum it all up in one post for me. I mean the Dumbo hedge must have gained, what? a 16th of an inch of growth in these last few months, maybe an 8th!?

Curious Constance

Hello old friend! So nice to see you again.

Bog Iger went on record yesterday in Barron's as saying Disneyland's Star Wars Land will officially open "in June". We got a month, but no day from Bobby. Barron's was given exclusive access to a tour of the land at Disneyland, and then had a sit-down talk with Bobby about it, as the first media outlet given that courtesy.

Then in a related article in Barron's, the magazine author theorized that the land would open "in early June".

Later in the day, one of those theme park website guys who blog about new bus stops and remodeled snack bars in Orlando (I honestly can't remember who it was? But supposedly he's someone prominent in the Orlando blogging community?) announced that he'd heard from his "sources" that June 21st-23rd was going to be a media event for Disneyland's Star Wars Land, which would likely place the grand opening date on the weekend of June 29th.

We don't have an exact date, but at least we now know it's June. I put two churros on June 8th, because I'm a gambler in life and love.

It's almost guaranteed that they will host a couple weekends of premium cost events before it opens to the public, wouldn't you say? I guess they couldn't occur prior to a media day though, could they? Hmmmm. Geez, why are they taking so long to announce the date? People need time to plan trips. There is airfare to secure, vaction time to coordinate between spouses and work, hotels to book, tickets to buy, reservations to make. Oh wait, I forgot, they don't care about out of town visitors! Silly me!

Yes, I'm just as bitter as ever folks! :D

fctiger

It's almost guaranteed that they will host a couple weekends of premium cost events before it opens to the public, wouldn't you say? I guess they couldn't occur prior to a media day though, could they? Hmmmm. Geez, why are they taking so long to announce the date? People need time to plan trips. There is airfare to secure, vaction time to coordinate between spouses and work, hotels to book, tickets to buy, reservations to make. Oh wait, I forgot, they don't care about out of town visitors! Silly me!

This isn't uncommon though. Most new lands they don't make official until a few months before opening. Pandora wasn't announced to officially open at DAK until about 3 months before it did. CL at DCA it was also about three months prior. Toy Story land at DHS was a bit longer window but still only by four months. And WDW is a much bigger vacation spot than DLR is.

And actually I think they do this because they ARE thinking about out of town visitors and they wait until they are absolutely, positively sure everything will be ready on time before they make it official. They don't want to announce a date 6 months ahead of time and everyone starts making plans, use vacation time, etc and then they realize they may miss the target date and delay it. That would definitely upset people way more then being told last minute. So they play it safe for a reason.

And of course I always find this thinking a little funny because the land isn't going anywhere! So whenever they announce it and it's not enough time to go right at opening,, they can just come later. They aren't going to miss anything although I know for the hardcore Disney/Star Wars nuts they want to be there to say FIRST!!!!!

And for big fans I can't blame them, but the thing will be sitting there for next 30-50 years minimum, they can wait a few extra months to see it. Probably be a little less busy too.

Last edited:

SWGalaxysEdge

Keep in mind if June 21 is the official opening date, that does not preclude some soft or preview shenanigans creating a mad house. Welcome back by the way.

..I talked to Mike Quinn (Nein Nunb) a few days ago, if he'd heard anything about being invited to the VIP opening yet and he said he had not heard anything. He said he will be invited since he has a role in the RotR attraction. If he gets a date before someone here finds out, I will share.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Unless they're a big SW fan, I'd think most out-of-town visitors would wait until July/August anyways. This is in order to avoid the rabid fans that will crowd the land for the first couple of weeks.

And welcome back after your forum vacation... ;):p:cool:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's almost guaranteed that they will host a couple weekends of premium cost events before it opens to the public, wouldn't you say?

Except... Disney has never done that before.

Disneyland has twice had a paid night-before openings. And WDW has never done that: not for Pandora, not for TSL. For Pandora, WDW had early openings for CMs, APers, and DVCers. For TSL, they were under too much of a time crunch and offered exclusive access to APers and DVCers a few month later.

Now, what WDW does do is early morning and late night hard-ticket events -- and a lot of them. Based on past experience I expect WDW to:
  • have daily morning EMH for several months
  • give APers and DVCers limited early access time, or several exclusive night times
  • have near nightly DHS After Hours for several months

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom