News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

SWGalaxysEdge

Did you get this info about Nein Nunb in Star Wars Galatic Phase Book and Travel Guide book on pg 155.

..no, from Mike himself, today.
mikeQuinn_010319-2.png

SWGalaxysEdge

Interesting information from Barron's. Thanks to Ken Coates for pointing this out! - By Jack Hough (Barron's)

* This is talking about the Disneyland version

Barron’s recently spent an afternoon touring Galaxy’s Edge—a first for the press this late in construction—with executives from construction, operations, and “imagineering,” or creative design, along with a Star Wars expert in a holiday R2-D2 sweater. Here are some scattered notes from that visit, including previously unreported details, some of which might be subject to change.

(1) Visitors will enter Galaxy’s Edge through one of three entrances near the park’s Fantasyland, Frontierland, and Critter Country themed areas, with the expansion turning what are now dead ends into a circuitous route.

(2) Building exteriors in Galaxy’s Edge are designed to look weathered from the first day of completion

(3) Galaxy’s Edge will open in Disneyland this summer, perhaps by early June. (not confirmed!)

(4) At the Disneyland site, there are about 600 workers now, down from a peak of 1,000 to 1,100. During our visit, one team was preparing to weld joints and seams to cover screw heads on the Millennium Falcon, which was recently assembled from the contents of 93 crates. Another was lifting an ornamental radar dish to a control tower. Another was attending to the ceiling in Oga’s.

(5) Access to the construction site is strictly controlled; some key executives say their family members haven’t been able to visit. Laborers are told background stories of the areas they build to help instill pride in the work.

(6) For real trees, a team of horticulturalists has taken pains to choose and obtain—and protect—particular species. One sign for the crew on a potted tree awaiting transplanting read, “The cost to replace this tree is $9,000. Please respect all trees and keep this area clean.”

Millennium Falcon : Smuggler's Run
------------------------------------------------
(1) The attraction entrance will be subtly marked, so as not to disrupt the look of the land.

(2) Visitors will fly the ship in groups of six, and see the real-time results of their actions, such as knocking over a spire during takeoff. The flight will be different each visit.

Rise of the Resistance (ROTR)
-----------------------------------------
(1) Visitors waiting in line for this attraction will wind through highly themed interiors that evoke rundown rooms the Resistance has repurposed as a base for operations against the First Order.

(2) Groups of guests might be “captured” at one point and ordered along by the enemy, before making their escape aboard a trackless troop transport.

Oga's Cantina
-------------------
(1) Oga’s is relatively small for aesthetic reasons, and is likely to be popular. To maximize capacity and keep visits from becoming all-afternoon affairs, most guests will stand.

(2) There will be a handful of booths with seating around the outer edge of the restaurant; no decision has been made yet on whether or how these can be reserved.

(3) We heard a mention of a "Fuzzy Tauntaun", named for the furry snow lizards ridden in Empire Strikes Back, although it’s unclear if that’s a hypothetical drink or a planned one, and the menu is still being decided.

Other Retail
-----------------
(1) Shops will be supplied from a common stockroom, and restaurants from a common kitchen, to increase efficiency.

(2) One shop will feature droids that visitors can customize through an interactive experience. A droid that is made to be, say, afraid of stormtroopers might signal its fear when one comes close. Droids owned by members of the same group might recognize each other when they meet. Prices have not been set. The shop might also sell a full-size R2-D2 for well-heeled fans, perhaps costing thousands.

(3) There will be another shop presided over by Dok-Ondar, a collector who is briefly mentioned in Solo. This character, likely animatronic.

Full article source -> https://www.barrons.com/articles/he...kYveSBHo9W8bamRChDMQ3i_HYkqdAB-2Qai75wqDQFsnA

SSG

Star Wars at Disney ParksMore Star Wars at Disney Parks Stories

euoiurhbnmby98u095313-624x351.jpg

Fri, January 4, 2019
Sneak Peek of New ‘Star Wars: Pirate’s Price’ Book Features Millennium Falcon Arrival on Planet Batuu
by Thomas Smith, Editorial Content Director, Disney Parks

Today, StarWars.com shared an exclusive look from a new book called “Star Wars: Pirate’s Price” that we think many of you will enjoy checking out. This just-released excerpt gives readers a first taste of an exciting new story in which the infamous galactic pirate, Hondo Ohnaka, comes into possession of the Millennium Falcon and brings her to the planet Batuu.

As regular Disney Parks Blog readers know, guests will be able to visit Batuu themselves when Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge opens this summer at Disneyland Park and this fall at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. You just may find yourself in the middle of your own adventure with Hondo and the Millennium Falcon at the village of Black Spire Outpost on this very same planet.

Star Wars: Pirate’s Price” by Lou Anders will be released on January 8. You can learn more about Batuu and the upcoming book right now by reading the excerpt at StarWars.com, and pre-order your copy today!

SSG

Star Wars at Disney ParksMore Star Wars at Disney Parks Stories

euoiurhbnmby98u095313-624x351.jpg

Fri, January 4, 2019
Sneak Peek of New ‘Star Wars: Pirate’s Price’ Book Features Millennium Falcon Arrival on Planet Batuu
by Thomas Smith, Editorial Content Director, Disney Parks

Today, StarWars.com shared an exclusive look from a new book called “Star Wars: Pirate’s Price” that we think many of you will enjoy checking out. This just-released excerpt gives readers a first taste of an exciting new story in which the infamous galactic pirate, Hondo Ohnaka, comes into possession of the Millennium Falcon and brings her to the planet Batuu.

As regular Disney Parks Blog readers know, guests will be able to visit Batuu themselves when Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge opens this summer at Disneyland Park and this fall at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. You just may find yourself in the middle of your own adventure with Hondo and the Millennium Falcon at the village of Black Spire Outpost on this very same planet.

Star Wars: Pirate’s Price” by Lou Anders will be released on January 8. You can learn more about Batuu and the upcoming book right now by reading the excerpt at StarWars.com, and pre-order your copy today!

A bit bigger picture:

MF Trip.jpg

SSG

Between what films does this land even take place? If the First Order is already an established presence in the galaxy then it must be post TFA, yes? But if Hondo is in possession of the Falcon then it's likely pre TFA, yes? But if it's pre TFA then will there be none of the heroes from the new trilogy like Rey in the land? My immersion's been ruined and I haven't even stepped foot inside Galaxy's Edge yet
If the Falcon goes from Crait to Batuu, Chewie and Rey could have taken it there after TLJ.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
So this confirms the land is set after The Last Jedi, then? Odd. I wonder if any reference to the Falcon having been modified will be made in EpIX. Doubtful, though I'd admire them if they gave the cockpit two extra seats for engineers in the movie.

I'm guessing that the land will be concurrent with the movies, so since it opens this summer it will be between Episodes 8 and 9. This gives them the freedom to modify/add experiences based on what's happening in the movies....not just Ep. 9 but anything after like Johnson's new trilogy.

Looks like you deleted your previous post, but if Wookies can live for over 100 years, so can Weequays. Hondo can very much still be alive.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
If the Falcon goes from Crait to Batuu, Chewie and Rey could have taken it there after TLJ.

There are rumors that Batuu might at the very least get a mention in Ep 9. Obviously with a permanent residence in Galaxy's Edge, the they will probably need to take some liberties on the Falcon's story.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I believe there's a little time jump to IX. So, Hondo's 'ownership' of the MF could be temporary and it gets back to the heroes by the time IX starts.

SSG

Not that a huge backstory is required but it looks like: The Resistance is all but wiped out in TLJ. The remnants travel to the backwater of Batuu to regroup. It’s a smuggler’s planet and out of the way, and Chewie has contacts there. While the Resistance gathers recruits and rebuilds, the Falcon takes on jobs to finance the cause. AND THEN A STAR DESTROYER APPEARS.

Something like that

TP2000

Star Wars Land opens "in June" per Bob Iger. From another article in Barron's today where Bob had a long interview about investment in the Parks, Iger said this...

"When Star Wars opens in Anaheim in June and in Florida later in the year, that’s adding capacity." -Bob Iger, January 2019

https://www.barrons.com/articles/di...ark-plans-and-learning-from-kodak-51546599600

Place your churro bets now, kids!

I'm putting two churros on Saturday, June 15th. :cool:

Last edited:

DLR>WDW

Star Wars Land opens "in June" per Bob Iger. From another article in Barron's today where Bob had a long interview about investment in the Parks, Iger said this...

"When Star Wars opens in Anaheim in June and in Florida later in the year, that’s adding capacity." -Bob Iger, January 2019

https://www.barrons.com/articles/di...ark-plans-and-learning-from-kodak-51546599600

Place your churro bets now, kids!

I'm putting two churros on Saturday, June 8th. :cool:
The weekend of June 21st seems likely to me. Deluxe Passes begin their summer blockout period, and allows plenty of time for Signature AP previews and paid events.

TP2000

I just read the other article in Barron's, the same magazine that was given the first media tour of Star Wars Land and had a long sit-down interview with Bob Iger. I'm changing my churro bet for the opening date of Star Wars Land, based off the information given in the other Barron's article that narrows the opening date to "perhaps early June".

I'm now placing two churros on Saturday, June 8th, 2019.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom