News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

fctiger

This was a great article. Thank you so much for posting. And I know I'm not on Disney boards as much as others here but is that concept art of the Spider-Man ride the first official image we have of this land?? Its the first time I'm seeing it but boy did it make me smile.

As far as the global expansion, it is pretty amazing. I don't think it's been this much expansion with the parks since between 1998 though 2005. That was actually a huge period of Disney building because not only did they add new parks but they turned 1 day theme parks into resort experiences. But during that time they built five new parks: DCA, AK, TDS, HKDL and WDSP. And before 2001, WDW was literally the only resort that had more than one park to visit. By 2002, it was now four two park resorts. Of course at this time a lot of people complained how bare and cheap a lot of these parks were and they were right, but I think that was partly due to the fact they were building so many of them around the same period. And of course they thought people would just be happy to have an additional park. They clearly miscalculated.

But looking at what they adding now shows how expansive their plan is. But for people who hate the direction the parks are going in, I've said it before if you don't like this direction, understandable, but this is clearly the future now. I'm shocked they didn't show all the plans going on inside TDL and TDS but those parks are also getting a lot of big branding stuff, especially TDS. And that park was originally done like Epcot at the time which relied on actual mythology more than just Disney movies, but that has been changing for awhile.

But for global Disney fans, there is going to be tons to look forward to.

Old Mouseketeer

Whenever I'm inside dca, the only thing I can think is "I could be at Disneyland right now"

I disagree. I'm a Disneyland kid--I grew up two miles south of the DL Hotel. DL was my backyard. But I enjoy spending time in DCA--I love the open space and easier pace. It feels less cramped and hurried. The crowd size seems more manageable. Whether I'm eating at the wharf or Boardwalk Pasta, I know I can have a relaxed meal. There's so much that I love at DL Park. But it's a lot harder to get to. It's less a "park" and more an urban environment.

britain

John Williams Writing the score for GE (plus bonus construction video):

THIS is the best video of the bunch. Great new music! Great new images! Including FINALLY a shot of the Falcon IN the land!!!

1542472987946.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They claim this one was shot in the attraction - I'm not so sure. If it was, then kudos to WDI for nailing that CGI prequel feel.

When they were showing off that the graphics package can do, they showed something similar to this that was real-time animated rendering. Don't know if this particular shot was a recorded scene or not. But imagine: you could have a "Turtle Talk with Crush" -type attraction with that level of realism and the characters responding in real-time.

britain

When they were showing off that the graphics package can do, they showed something similar to this that was real-time animated rendering. Don't know if this particular shot was a recorded scene or not. But imagine: you could have a "Turtle Talk with Crush" -type attraction with that level of realism and the characters responding in real-time.

Right - but it's not as impressive a feat as building an actual ride set that looks like it was made in CG! o_O

Snow Queen

The Rise of the Resistance one is underwhelming with it's real time rendering look, but the much more visibly tactile Falcon video is exciting, and the John Williams one gave me what I wanted. I like the sound of his new theme at the start.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom