News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

SuddenStorm

Cue the uproar from parents upset that little Jimmy can't drive the falcon... because they've heard from reviews that unless little Jimmy sits in the front, he sits in the back not able to see well and doesn't do anything...

Screw the parents, cue the uproar from 21 year old SuddenStorm for waiting 5 hours in line and losing the front seat to little Jimmy... ;)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
An interesting idea. But I'm willing to bet the lottery will be:

"How many in your party?"

"2"

"Seats 4 and 5 please"
Cue the uproar from parents upset that little Jimmy can't drive the falcon... because they've heard from reviews that unless little Jimmy sits in the front, he sits in the back not able to see well and doesn't do anything...

And that is why I think there might be a lottery system.

Another thought is what if they can't fill all 6 seats? Is there seats less important than others that can remain empty?

MoonRakerSCM

As I mentioned and my friend says, he'll wait for 5 hours, end up in the back, and little jimmy will spend the 3.5 minutes smashing the ship into the wall.

SuddenStorm

And that is why I think there might be a lottery system.

Another thought is what if they can't fill all 6 seats? Is there seats less important than others that can remain empty?

A lottery system won't solve the problem of people being unhappy about their assignment- or the impact a poor pilot can potentially have on the experience.

Perhaps they'll have an autopilot mode for vacant seats or guests who suck at their assignment?

Last edited:

180º

I'm less clear on the numbers for the trackless ride system. It's like a scaled-up version of Mystic Manor. My biggest concern is the single shuttle at the beginning versus the dual stretching rooms at Mansion.
Recall that each stretching room must spend half its time resetting, which shouldn’t be an issue with the shuttle turntable. I expect that once one shuttleful of guests is loaded, it will rotate them away, immediately delivering an empty side of the turntable ready to accept guests. Say the shuttle holds as many guests as a stretching room. Without the need to reset, one turntable has the throughout of two stretching rooms.

And just for fun, if the preshow design were up to me, I’d split the turntable into three sectors with one loading, one dwelling in a preshow, and one unloading at the same time. That way you can spend more time in the shuttle than just the amount of time it takes to spin the thing around without sacrificing capacity.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
A lottery system won't solve the problem of people being unhappy about their assignment- or the impact a poor pilot can potentially have on the experience.

Perhaps they'll have an autopilot mode for vacant seats or guests who suck at their assignment?

It may not solve the problem, but it'll be more fair than just a CM choosing the seats. Its like everyone trying to get the front seat of a coaster. You can't have everyone waiting for the front seat.

Another thing is maybe there is an instructional area that you must go through first during your time in the queue. Sort of like flight school and your results are stored on a card like the Power Card from D&Bs. And if you score high enough you can stand in line to be the pilot.

Using the Power Card type system could also be the way to have the interactive portions work, not sure if someone brought up a similar idea previously in the thread.

mickEblu

(This is relevant because of the crowd modifications ahead of sw:ge) Just stumbled upon a video of Gilroy Gardens. Ultimately, this is the epitome of the type of "charm" people are afraid disneyland is losing right now as they engineer it for crowds. A victim of its own success. Fantasyland ought to be more like Gilroy Gardens (and the esplanade, please). But the only way to do that now would be through multileveling; rides are getting bigger, show buildings are getting bigger. Instead of divvying up the land as either environment/onstage and show building, they need to spend double the money to bury the ride buildings like Pirates, so that whenever they have the chance to, new square footage can be BOTH show building and onstage.

DLP's tom sawyer island equivalent is the swiss family robinson treehouse/pirate caves in adventureland. The main difference is that those caves/treehouses process thousands of people an hour, because there are small access points all over Adventureland. While TSI is a nice escape for those disneyland guests who use it, it does take a large footprint, and eventually Disney may have to consider awaking the Lafitte Caverns/catacombs project that Eddie Sotto proposed in the 90s to get more people onto the island and out of the rest of the park. Perhaps the path over by hungry bear can be the tunnel location, and another by big thunder where the mine train from natures wonderland tunnel sits unused since New Orleans Square is too crowded.

Interesting. Never heard of that project. Was it going to be a walk through?

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I think when we distill all the opinions down to one idea, we’re left to say that riding the Millenium Falcon will either be awesome or lame depending on where you land in the cabin and who is riding with you.

This already shows the potential to be one of the most divisive attractions ever.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Do people still have a fun time on Toy Story Mania or Astro blasters, when it's your first time and you kind of suck at it?

If there is still some individual scoring component, that can lessen the blow somewhat.

brb1006

No kidding. TDA has no one to blame but themselves and their short-sighted and small-vision business plans of the last 15 years for this situation they've gotten themselves into with Star Wars Land.

But it wasn't always that way for Disneyland investment, even for several decades after Walt was gone.

1955-65 = 16 New Attractions (Astrojets, Mine Train, Mules, Skyway, Alice In Wonderland, Columbia, Canoes, TSI, Matterhorn, Monorail, Submarines, Motorboats, Flying Saucers, Treehouse, Tiki Room, Mr. Lincoln)

1966-1976 = 9 New Attractions (Small World, Pirates, PeopleMover, ATIS, CoP, Mission To Mars, Haunted Mansion, Country Bears, America Sings)

1977-1987 = 6 New Attractions (Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, New Fantasyland, Pinnochio, Captain EO, Star Tours)

1988-1998 = 8 New Attractions (Splash Mountain, Toontown, Roger Rabbit, Indiana Jones Adventure, Rocket Rods, Honey I Shrunk The Audience, Innoventions, Small World Holiday)

1999-2009 = 5 New Attractions (Haunted Mansion Holiday, Winnie The Pooh, Buzz Lightyear, Finding Nemo Submarines)

2009-2018 = 0 New Attractions (Nothing new added to Disneyland ride roster, only rehabs and small tech improvements to existing rides)

2019 = Star Wars Land (First all-new rides in 14 years! Last all-new ride was Buzz Lightyear in 2005)

They haven't added a new ride to Disneyland for 14 years by the time Star Wars Land opens?!? God help them!

TDA and their Burbank masters get a pass for a couple of those years for having to save a failed DCA and open Cars Land and two other new rides in that park (Mermaid and the Trolley), but that doesn't help the situation at Disneyland itself. TDA has no one to blame but themselves, and all the previous TDA Presidents who clocked in for their temporary gig in the revolving door of the TDA Presidential Suite for the last 10+ years; Eddie Grier, Georgie Kalogridis, Mikey Colglazier.

And now poor Joshy Dimaro has to try and prevent civil disturbance from breaking out on the Big Thunder Trail next summer because of the previous incompetence. There's really nothing else to say but... God help them. God help them all.
Could this also explain why Disneyland stuck to running the same parade for years?

brb1006

However, Star Wars has been part of Disneyland for half of it's existence. Star Wars was considered a "Disney movie" from the day it was released even though Disney never had anything to do with it. It can be argued that Star Wars and George Lucas actually SAVED Disneyland since Disney couldn't come up with a property it owned that people cared enough about to visit the park. It is Star Tours that brought the crowds back to Disneyland and made it relative to older people. Before that, Disneyland was a place parents took their kids because they had to. No one went there without children. Indiana Jones and Star Wars brought investment back to the park. Galaxy Edge fits perfectly with Frontierland and looks completely stupid at DHS. Star Wars at it's core is nothing but a western in space. But this has all been said many times before.
What do you mean it looked stupid at DHS? At least at ain't the Magic Kingdom.

Phroobar

What do you mean it looked stupid at DHS? At least at ain't the Magic Kingdom.
You go from a city to a space planet and back to size of toy in some giant's backyard in a few steps. It doesn't fit anywhere in there unless you pretend it's just a huge set. Going from cheap to highly themed and back to cheap crap again is lame. It looks stupid and pathetically small. I'm sure the tourists will love it but what do they know?

Stevek

You go from a city to a space planet and back to size of toy in some giant's backyard in a few steps. It doesn't fit anywhere in there unless you pretend it's just a huge set. Going from cheap to highly themed and back to cheap crap again is lame. It looks stupid and pathetically small. I'm sure the tourists will love it but what do they know?

Not much on that side of the park really blends in...Indy to Star Tours to Muppet Vision to Galaxy's Edge and then TSL. None of it fits together. Pretty much everything North of that area (entry, Sunset Blvd, Chinese Theater, etc) works well together with the exclusion of Rock N Rollercoaster

brb1006

Not much on that side of the park really blends in...Indy to Star Tours to Muppet Vision to Galaxy's Edge and then TSL. None of it fits together. Pretty much everything North of that area (entry, Sunset Blvd, Chinese Theater, etc) works well together with the exclusion of Rock N Rollercoaster
That might be to due DHS originally designed as a Studio Park before turning into a theme park.

Phroobar

That might be to due DHS originally designed as a Studio Park before turning into a theme park.
Which sucks and is cheap. That was DCA 1.0 and Six Flags thinking too. They are pretty much rebuilding the entire park. They should ditch the "working studio" idea for something that blends from one area to another better. It's a cheap cop-out.

brb1006

Which sucks and is cheap. That was DCA 1.0 and Six Flags thinking too. They are pretty much rebuilding the entire park. They should ditch the "working studio" idea for something that blends from one area to another better. It's a cheap cop-out.
DHS has already ditched the "Working Studio" idea for years now. Which is why they demolished the Tram Tour and Streets of America.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom