News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I hate to break it to you but this is the Galaxy's Edge thread, if you wanna go talk about SOLO go to the threads already made about it and stop filling this one up just because there isn't much news atm.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I hate to break it to you but this is the Galaxy's Edge thread, if you wanna go talk about SOLO go to the threads already made about it and stop filling this one up just because there isn't much news atm.

I hate to break it to you, but this thread has been all over the place since the first day with everything randomly related to Disney and the parks. :)

britain

I hear what you’re saying, but it’s not like we’re sharing lengthy reviews in the middle of the Pixar Pier thread. Having said that, I will refrain from adding further Solo thoughts here.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Who knows whether they mean seasonal tourist summer (Memorial Day to Labor Day), school summer vacation (July & Aug), astrological summer (Jun 21 - Sep 21), fiscal summer (Jul, Aug, Sep)...?

Well, if there's any doubt when summer starts for Disney, put them aside: It's Memorial Day weekend...

Memorial Day Weekend Marks the Start of an Incredible Summer at Walt Disney World Resort

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – (May 25, 2018) The fun is heating up at Walt Disney World Resort with all-new entertainment and more set to debut Memorial Day weekend rounding out a simply incredible kick-off to summer.

Phroobar

Hide the stash man! It's the Laww!
ffa5a3167b93f3c4a2832c0c265c0af7--freak-out-funny-videos.jpg

Professortango1

Exactly, I don't know why anyone would want it to flop first of all. Secondly, why thinking one movie flop will cause a change in course on current Star Wars plans.

I understand the dedsire for failure. Entertainment follows trends so when you see trends that you feel hurt the art you love, you hope they fail so these destructive trends might end. That's why so many root for Pixar Pier and even Toy Story Land to fail.

With films, this push for franchises and milking every penny out of a franchise even if there is no story needing to be told, many long for the days when movies started with a good idea for a story rather than creating similar content to be consumed like fast food.

l will see Solo, but I'm not hyped. I just saw a Star Wars movie less than a year ago. I feel like the movie is just going to string together moments aludded to in the original trilogy. Friends have said it was okay. Not horrible, not great, just fine. Not every movie needs to be life changing, but for awhile each if the Star Wars films were a major cinfematic event. Now, it's just another film franchise pumping out films on a schedule.

TROR

Not every movie needs to be life changing, but for awhile each if the Star Wars films were a major cinfematic event. Now, it's just another film franchise pumping out films on a schedule.
Yep. I remember seeing The Force Awakens with my friends. It was a ton of fun waiting in line for hours and being so excited to see this new installment of this franchise I love. Now? I have a chance to see Solo for free and I might not even take it. That's not a good thing and I know I'm not the only person who feels this way.

Ismael Flores

Just saw solo I really enjoyed it it was fun lots of action great backstory for solo and chewy I wouldn’t mind seeing it again and probably will.

Theater I went was not packed but I couldn’t get tickets for anything until 9:40 when I got there at 7.
I thought I would not have a problem since it’s playing in quite a few screens every 30 minutes

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I understand the dedsire for failure. Entertainment follows trends so when you see trends that you feel hurt the art you love, you hope they fail so these destructive trends might end. That's why so many root for Pixar Pier and even Toy Story Land to fail.

With films, this push for franchises and milking every penny out of a franchise even if there is no story needing to be told, many long for the days when movies started with a good idea for a story rather than creating similar content to be consumed like fast food.

l will see Solo, but I'm not hyped. I just saw a Star Wars movie less than a year ago. I feel like the movie is just going to string together moments aludded to in the original trilogy. Friends have said it was okay. Not horrible, not great, just fine. Not every movie needs to be life changing, but for awhile each if the Star Wars films were a major cinfematic event. Now, it's just another film franchise pumping out films on a schedule.

To use the analogy I used before, wishing something fails because you want it to stop is like wishing someone crashes their car so there will be less cars on the road. In the end it doesn't change anything.

As for Solo, I think you are going to be surprised. Is it a masterpiece of a film, no. But is it enjoyable, yes. As you said not every film needs to be life changing. But at the same time an enjoyable film is still an enjoyable film. Because at the end of the day going to watch a film is about escapism, escaping life for that 2+ hours. Solo does that, allows you to escape for a period of time.

dweezil78

To use the analogy I used before, wishing something fails because you want it to stop is like wishing someone crashes their car so there will be less cars on the road. In the end it doesn't change anything.

As for Solo, I think you are going to be surprised. Is it a masterpiece of a film, no. But is it enjoyable, yes. As you said not every film needs to be life changing. But at the same time an enjoyable film is still an enjoyable film. Because at the end of the day going to watch a film is about escapism, escaping life for that 2+ hours. Solo does that, allows you to escape for a period of time.

I'm excited to see it. My only issues, thus far, are that the character types in commercials all seem so obvious. Like I fully expect both Woody and Emilia to somehow screw over Han at some point. Maybe one of them will actually be redeemable, maybe one dies saving him in the end... that sort of thing. I hope I'm wrong! Other than that, looks like a fun popcorn flick. What else can you expect from a movie that really should be called "When Han Met Chewie (and Lando)?"

britain

I'm excited to see it. My only issues, thus far, are that the character types in commercials all seem so obvious. Like I fully expect both Woody and Emilia to somehow screw over Han at some point. Maybe one of them will actually be redeemable, maybe one dies saving him in the end... that sort of thing. I hope I'm wrong! Other than that, looks like a fun popcorn flick. What else can you expect from a movie that really should be called "When Han Met Chewie (and Lando)?"

Yes but couldn’t you tell that Vader was the bad guy? I count the predictability of the twists as vital ingredients in any “Star Wars takes ‘genre X’ and puts it in space” film. The fun is seeing HOW it checks those genre boxes.

Okay, no more film commentary from me. Shutting up!

dweezil78

Yes but couldn’t you tell that Vader was the bad guy? I count the predictability of the twists as vital ingredients in any “Star Wars takes ‘genre X’ and puts it in space” film. The fun is seeing HOW it checks those genre boxes.

Okay, no more film commentary from me. Shutting up!

Big difference between a clear protagonist and antagonist (who was marketed as such) and uninspired, predictable character development. But again, I haven’t seen the movie yet and could very well be wrong!

Professortango1

That's a poor analogy. People don't want one less film in theaters, they want studios to stop pushing franchises beyond their artistic potential and greenlight more original films. That would be like wishing for a safety recall to correct an issue you discovered.

Also, a car crash is a violent tragedy which affects people on a personal level. Injury, death, financial hardship. A movie underperforming at most results in higher ups being let go. This isn't the norm, and these individuals are established enough to not be in any financial danger. A bomb movie means investors don'tmake money. The impact is spread across a multitude of people who knee the risks.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's a poor analogy. People don't want one less film in theaters, they want studios to stop pushing franchises beyond their artistic potential and greenlight more original films. That would be like wishing for a safety recall to correct an issue you discovered.

Also, a car crash is a violent tragedy which affects people on a personal level. Injury, death, financial hardship. A movie underperforming at most results in higher ups being let go. This isn't the norm, and these individuals are established enough to not be in any financial danger. A bomb movie means investors don'tmake money. The impact is spread across a multitude of people who knee the risks.

The analogy works because the car in this case in Star Wars not all films. They want less Star Wars films to be made hence the analogy of less cars on the road as a result of the crash.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom