News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Old Mouseketeer

From the latest video from the wonderful ShesInLosAngeles, we can easily confirm that the last quadrant of the battle escape building, the big open space, is the First Order Star Destroyer hangar. I've flipped the concept art so you can see how well the angles match up: View attachment 217286 View attachment 217287

WOW!!! Really great catch. I bet this gets you your Geek First Class medal!

JoFu

I can see the photopass thing but when did they add a IASW greeting? Is it like ET? For the photopass don't they just scan your wrist band or ticket to like the picture?
On ride photo pass... when you ride a ride with photos and you have a magic band the photos are linked to your account without your doing anything additional. For IASW, I haven't been there in a while, but it looks like they turned it off last fall. It would show your name at the end with a farewell message. I think they did it on HM too.

RMichael21

I can see the photopass thing but when did they add a IASW greeting? Is it like ET? For the photopass don't they just scan your wrist band or ticket to like the picture?
Most times, you scan your Magic Band after exiting the attraction and it links it to your MDE. However, there are a few exceptions. Frozen, for example, links it automatically to your MDE (without tapping any touchpoint after the attraction). The photo just appears.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What long range elements are in use today for the magic band?

Disney hasn't disclosed. Remember, not all 'features' will be consumable by the customer. Features like crowd monitoring, movement, etc are all features that would never be directly seen/consumed by the customer. Same with the longer range RFID tag.

BrianLo

Original Poster
From the latest video from the wonderful ShesInLosAngeles, we can easily confirm that the last quadrant of the battle escape building, the big open space, is the First Order Star Destroyer hangar. I've flipped the concept art so you can see how well the angles match up: View attachment 217286 View attachment 217287

One of the important details from this concept art is that we are on a First order star destroyer... in space.

That provide a lot of clarity to the details that @marni1971 and @JediMasterMatt etc have dropped. First Marni has outline where the actual ride mechanism takes place leading to the presumption that this huge bay is actually a queue room.

We have a large crashed engine cylinder that we believe the resistance has set up in, sitting outside.

Based on all that I figure queue progression goes as such - covered open air extended queue - resistance pre show with mission briefing - queue through cave filled with resistance fighters - queue leads into first order stolen transport ship - pre-show (and probably one of the real kickers of a pre-show where we are transported into space) - large docking bay queue space as seen in concept art above - ?third pre-show with instructions from First Order (have we offloaded as potential civilian recruits?) - board the resistance transport vehicles.

Now some kitchen sink thoughts I have:

-The force field into space will obviously be a giant screen. Will they use some parallex effects/musion? Will we even see an effect where a tie fighter takes off and leaves through a brief opening in the screen to space?

-How involved will our transport into space be? Perhaps that's where MiceAge got a bit of mixed signals with getting on and off the 'ride'? It could be as simple as Toyko's Centre of the Earth elevators, or will we get a bit more of a seated preshow with some actual simulation?

Purely based on how everything is laid out though I think what is particularly novel about the potential layout is that the pre-shows could be a bit more evenly distributed amongst the queue. Instead of a clustered pre-show at the end of the wait we could see a wait - preshow - 20-30 wait - pre-show -20-30 wait - preshow - wait to board.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

I think this picture does a good job of showing just how massive this building has become.

upload_2017-7-23_9-29-54.jpeg

Last edited:

britain

One of the important details from this concept art is that we are on a First order star destroyer... in space.

That provide a lot of clarity to the details that @marni1971 and @JediMasterMatt etc have dropped. First Marni has outline where the actual ride mechanism takes place leading to the presumption that this huge bay is actually a queue room.

We have a large crashed engine cylinder that we believe the resistance has set up in, sitting outside.

Based on all that I figure queue progression goes as such - covered open air extended queue - resistance pre show with mission briefing - queue through cave filled with resistance fighters - queue leads into first order stolen transport ship - pre-show (and probably one of the real kickers of a pre-show where we are transported into space) - large docking bay queue space as seen in concept art above - ?third pre-show with instructions from First Order (have we offloaded as potential civilian recruits?) - board the resistance transport vehicles.

Now some kitchen sink thoughts I have:

-The force field into space will obviously be a giant screen. Will they use some parallex effects/musion? Will we even see an effect where a tie fighter takes off and leaves through a brief opening in the screen to space?

-How involved will our transport into space be? Perhaps that's where MiceAge got a bit of mixed signals with getting on and off the 'ride'? It could be as simple as Toyko's Centre of the Earth elevators, or will we get a bit more of a seated preshow with some actual simulation?

Purely based on how everything is laid out though I think what is particularly novel about the potential layout is that the pre-shows could be a bit more evenly distributed amongst the queue. Instead of a clustered pre-show at the end of the wait we could see a wait - preshow - 20-30 wait - pre-show -20-30 wait - preshow - wait to board.
I was going to write the same thing. I am guessing that guests will get onto that blue and white ship in the cave next to Poe's black x-wing (the one that kind of looks like a mini Corellean Corvette). Through some simulated means involving that circular room (the one the fresh baked guys have dubbed the supercollider) we take off, fly through space, and then get trapped by a star destroyer, essentially reliving the very first scenes of A New Hope. When we get off that ship, we will be on the star destroyer, and we will be as bug eyed as Poe was in Force Awakens.

Hmm.... it's quite possible that this preshow flight simulator will be VERY similar to Star Tours, hence the lack of need to incorporate Star Tours into the land.

sedati

I was assuming the battle would begin in that big room. In the concept art you see other destroyers, imagine the Resistance beginning an attack seen through the hanger opening, everything kicks into high alert and we're off.

alias8703

There is a ride vehicle in the concept art making this clearly not part of the queue.

TP2000

Star Tours has a ride vehicle in the queue.

Good point. And it was put there on purpose to establish for the Star Tours audience what they would be traveling in and why.

I imagine these "fleet transports" vehicles may show up in the queue or pre-show so that the audience has a point of reference before they jump in one themselves later on in the show. It would be neat to see one in use full of Stormtroopers in the pre-show or queue, before we get in one ourselves later on.
20050493_10212641941777399_1669882632_o-800x500_c.jpg

sedati

I found some washrooms! (breaking news, not really)

DSC_7834-X3.jpg

See the two cave-like openings in the very Western edge of the rock work?
Nice find, but they seem way to close to those right at the Hungry Bear. I think the ride entrance is at the nearby turret, and those caves may be where the line goes indoors. Just speculating, we won't know for a while.

George Lucas on a Bench

Well, it looks to me like there's a clear separation between the winding path to the left and the wider main path in the center. I can't tell if the wider path meets up with the cave, but the winding path must. It's very weird. Since there's nothing around the winding path, it leads me to believe it's either an extended queue, an exit path or a winding path to a bathroom.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Nice find, but they seem way to close to those right at the Hungry Bear. I think the ride entrance is at the nearby turret, and those caves may be where the line goes indoors. Just speculating, we won't know for a while.

Ah, good call on Hungry Bear!

Actually, since it seems like a separate path that deviates from part of the turret I'll redact that guess and propose another one. It's possible that the left side of the turret under the tarp is the standby (therefore using that extended, extended, extended queue section) OR based on where it sits it could actually be used to corral guests into a backstage area to enter the land in the initial days/weeks when it runs capacity.

DSC_7185-X3.jpg

DSC_7622-X3.jpg

I'll draw partially out where I can see some ride entrances and exits in a moment...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom