News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Stevek

I am thinking of Flight Simulator rides, and can't think of more than one or two that have been removed (or moved to another location). And plenty still in operation. And one that is SBNO.

Agree with Rich T that Star Tours is still popular and a classic attraction.
I am a major SW nerd and it pains me to not be able to ride it. Literally takes less than a minute and I’m ready to puke.

Darkbeer1

I am a major SW nerd and it pains me to not be able to ride it. Literally takes less than a minute and I’m ready to puke.
Sorry to hear that.

After my coma, I have noticed things have changed in my after ride condition. Still ride the wildest and craziest coasters and similar attractions. Mainly need a longer recovery time. No nausea, just getting my head straight.

Can't wait for CoasterCon

fctiger

New Star Tours isn't very good.

I personally love it and ride it every chance I get. Everyone in my family does. And its funny how people proclaim rides are bad and yet these same rides are super busy. Old Star Tours was getting 10-20 minute waits even in its last year even in the busy seasons. This one gets up to an hour wait in the same period.

TROR

I personally love it and ride it every chance I get. Everyone in my family does. And its funny how people proclaim rides are bad and yet these same rides are super busy. Old Star Tours was getting 10-20 minute waits even in its last year even in the busy seasons. This one gets up to an hour wait in the same period.
I can almost guarantee that has more to do with the revival of Star Wars and not the remodel of Star Tours.

Also, to judge the artistic merit of an attraction based upon wait times doesn't make any sense.

BasiltheBatLord

The only attraction at DLR that makes me nauseous is California Screamin' for some reason. I can do RnR in Florida multiple times in a row but for whatever reason the one little loop on Screamin' makes my head go loopy.

SuddenStorm

Star Tours at the end of it's run was 23 years old.

The Adventures Continue is 8. Let's see how Adventures Continue is doing in 15 years.

fctiger

I can almost guarantee that has more to do with the revival of Star Wars and not the remodel of Star Tours.

Also, to judge the artistic merit of an attraction based upon wait times doesn't make any sense.

I was talking about actual popularity only and that people seem to generally love the ride, hence why its busy. "Artistic merit" is highly subjective, especially when it comes to theme park rides.

mickEblu

Yup and the whole random scenes thing too. Doesn’t mean the attraction is better. It just means someone was “smart” to cater to a growing AP market and generation that need something new every 3 seconds.

Give me one solid experience over a bunch of randomness any day. Like TOT compared to GOTG.

fctiger

Star Tours at the end of it's run was 23 years old.

The Adventures Continue is 8. Let's see how Adventures Continue is doing in 15 years.

I agree. But so far its doing really well and no sign of slowing down. And the reason why its not being replaced like so many thought it would when GE showed up. If anything it may generate even more interest now.

TROR

I agree. But so far its doing really well and no sign of slowing down. And the reason why its not being replaced like so many thought it would when GE showed up. If anything it may generate even more interest now.
It's on the cutting block.

SuddenStorm

Wait, did anyone really think they were gonna get rid of Star Tours right as they open their biggest park expansion of all time that's also pitifully low on capacity?

The extent I've seen are innocent questions speculating about the fate of Star Tours, but no one worth listening too was ever "I think it's going away in 2019 because x, y, and z."

Everything in the park is doing really well with no signs of slowing down. I'd bet good money, if the original ride was still running it'd be about as popular as Adventures Continue, simply because the park is doing millions more visitors a year than it was in the 2000's.

SuddenStorm

Art is objective.

Yep. Sure, you can like different flavors of art and different aspects of themed design, but to say "art is subjective" is a cop out when you're not able to properly defend and articulate your stance. Within themed design, there are definite levels of quality among every aspect of an attraction, and if you look at the overall experience between Star Tours and Star Tours 2, you can very easily judge them against eachother since they're incredibly similar.

It's like how Walt's "Disneyland will never be complete" line has been paraded as an excuse for every decision Disney makes.

fctiger

Yup and the whole random scenes thing too. Doesn’t mean the attraction is better. It just means someone was “smart” to cater to a growing AP market and generation that need something new every 3 seconds.

Give me one solid experience over a bunch of randomness any day. Like TOT compared to GOTG.

But some people really like it. Others don't, thats fine, but its not a consensus. And it has nothing to do with the AP market. The new Star Tours is now in every resort that had the old one and it seems to be immensely popular everywhere. Its why they all have it now.

fctiger

Wait, did anyone really think they were gonna get rid of Star Tours right as they open their biggest park expansion of all time that's also pitifully low on capacity?

The extent I've seen are innocent questions speculating about the fate of Star Tours, but no one worth listening too was ever "I think it's going away in 2019 because x, y, and z."

Everything in the park is doing really well with no signs of slowing down. I'd bet good money, if the original ride was still running it'd be about as popular as Adventures Continue, simply because the park is doing millions more visitors a year than it was in the 2000's.

Yes, quite a few people. Some on this board as well. The argument was all Star Wars attractions should be themed in the new SWL and Star Tours would now somehow be out of theme even though its been there for 30 years. That argument made no sense to me either lol. I know, I argued it with a few people on here and other boards.

The old ride was getting 10 minute waits in the summer before it ended. I imagine it may be a little more popular today with the Star Wars resurrection but I don't think anything close to what the new ride is getting. It was really starting to feel run down. They could've try to clean up the film but I'm not sure that would've made a huge difference.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom