News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

TP2000

What I have gleaned over the past decade is that there is actually a fairly strong commitment high up at the resort. I have heard of days when live performers and M&Gs were cut because of rain, wind, or fire and there was great concern at the very top and thatTDA and WDPR still see live entertainment as a critical component of the Disney Parks experience. That's why on a given day at DL you could have over 300 performers and over 700 personnel combined, including shows, bands, parades, and characters (but not including guest groups).

For SW:GE I don't think it's mainly a budget issue--I think it's mainly related to crowding and safety and the unpredictability thereof. Major infrastructure requires at least a five-year lead time with around three years alone for construction. Below the top tier of Entertainment offerings (new parade/fireworks/theatrical) that may be reduced to less than a year, especially when a lot of the preplanning is already done. I don't really know what the scope of their original vision was. There was talk of a live show in the (cancelled/postponed?) table-service restaurant adjoining the Cantina. There were online rumors of articulated (moving head) aliens, although I never picked up anything from my Bothans. There were permits for practical bridges and a prefab spaceship for stunt performers.

Thank you, that seems to put that Micechat rumor about entertainment cuts into a more understandable light.

It also reminds me of the Al Lutz story arc from years ago, that many mid-level executives/managers in TDA knew to do the right thing, but that higher ups in Burbank could often screw that up for them. And/or when Jay Rasulo was in charge and installed that failed One Disney system where Orlando called the shots for Anaheim for several years, it was the swamp creatures who made some bad decisions for Anaheim.

When they first announced Star Wars Land, they made quite a big deal about the supper club restaurant, and how interactive the droids and characters would be in the land. Three years ago Disney released several official pieces of concept art just for the supper club. Interesting to see that all cancelled or cut, at least for the opening year. And since they turned the supper club into a parking lot, it will be at least 2022 until we see a fancy restaurant open there.

DHS-Star-Wars-Dinner-Club-Rendering-2015.jpg

Last edited:

Stripes

If this is the view from Big Thunder it’s disappointing that that they would leave the rockwork supports exposed.
I mean if the trees grow a little more it could hide it, but yeah. It’s not as noticeable during the day, but during the night it’s pretty obvious with all of the lighting.

Darkbeer1

Why does every single white man over 55 dress exactly like this? This could be a pic of my Dad.
As a white male over 55, because it is comfortable and doesn't cost a lot.

Right now I am wearing a LA Galaxy Soccer Jersey (at the game), comfy Urban Star Jeans and black walking shoes with grey socks.

Around the house, grey sweats and a T-shirt is common. Shoes usually not worn.

Castle Cake Apologist

As a white male over 55, because it is comfortable and doesn't cost a lot.

Right now I am wearing a LA Galaxy Soccer Jersey (at the game), comfy Urban Star Jeans and black walking shoes with grey socks.

Around the house, grey sweats and a T-shirt is common. Shoes usually not worn.

Hell, I'm only 31 and some weeks you're lucky if I change out of the sweats and into the jeans before going to the store on Saturday!

Old Mouseketeer

Thank you, that seems to put that Micechat rumor about entertainment cuts into a more understandable light.

It also reminds me of the Al Lutz story arc from years ago, that many mid-level executives/managers in TDA knew to do the right thing, but that higher ups in Burbank could often screw that up for them. And/or when Jay Rasulo was in charge and installed that failed One Disney system where Orlando called the shots for Anaheim for several years, it was the swamp creatures who made some bad decisions for Anaheim.

When they first announced Star Wars Land, they made quite a big deal about the supper club restaurant, and how interactive the droids and characters would be in the land. Three years ago Disney released several official pieces of concept art just for the supper club. Interesting to see that all cancelled or cut, at least for the opening year. And since they turned the supper club into a parking lot, it will be at least 2022 until we see a fancy restaurant open there.

DHS-Star-Wars-Dinner-Club-Rendering-2015.jpg

Thanks for the history refresher--it's good perspective. My memory is clouded by how much I have been exposed to in the last 1-2 years. Your point is well-taken. It's entirely possible that Chapek and Burbank reigned in more ambitious live, interactive entertainment plans. Looking at it from the suits' perspective, they're sitting on a billion-dollar-investment times two coasts. Most of the infrastructure investment is locked in--the supper club is the easiest thing to cut. It's the riskiest component and most likely to have problems (other than a mega-ride with bleeding-edge technology). I haven't heard a bit about what transpired behind the scenes.

I hope after they can gauge the crowds (and get RotR running) they will develop more entertainment offerings. And I would love to see that dinner show! (If I can afford it. LOL)

mickEblu

So when do we think that dinner show will open? Maybe part of some Phase 2 in the future that may or may not include a third attraction?

Darkbeer1

>>Thirsty interstellar travelers visiting Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will be shocked when they see a hairy one-eyed space squid pop up in the murky water of a glass cistern tank feeding a Disneyland drinking fountain.

The audio-animatronic Dianoga will “live” in the pipes of the drinking fountain and nearby bathroom in the Black Spire Outpost village on the Star Wars planet of Batuu, the setting for the new 14-acre themed lands coming to the Anaheim theme park and Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida.<<

Just saw a Stars Wars Land commercial, the LARGE, emphasized Tag Line...

"Beginning June 24th, NO RESERVATIONS REQUIRED"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom