News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

George Lucas on a Bench

The most shocking thing is the amount of cuffing on jeans that clearly don't fit JJ Abrams and especially Steven Spielberg. It looks absolutely atrocious on the 'Berg. Like he only had a pair of jeans for someone with a completely different body type. What?

Old Mouseketeer

This doesn't prove that stunt performers will or won't be in GE, but this permit was from last summer:

BLD2018-02794Disneyland - SW - DL Frontierland Expansion - Bldg 10070 - New per-fabricated ship has one stunt performer only. Anchored to existing pad. Foundation under permit BLD2017-02850

So at one time there was at least a plan to have stunt people there.

I wonder if this is for the TIE fighter which seems to be just a little elevated off the ground. I doubt it would be the one way up high above Docking Bay 7. It would be interesting if it was the Falcon itself--Disney did tease "a familiar furry character in and about" the Falcon.

Hawg G

Over on MC a poster called LilMonsterPageant (He claims to be a CM) had this to say. Take it for what it's worth:

Entertainment Cancelled in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
Yesterday, 09:58 PM

I rode Smuggler's Run twice during their recent CM testings, and I think it's gonna be out of control popular. I'm not a gamer, so I didn't get that much into the actual ride, but just walking into the Millenium Falcon was awesome, and the queue is beyond belief!!

But being in the land and wandering backstage nearby was painful for many of us in Entertainment, because there was supposed to be so, so, so, soooooo much more to the land when it opens. According to several very knowledgeable Ent CM's it got cut by Bob Chapek in several rounds of cost cuttings over the last three years. After riding the Falcon the second time I learned the following stuff was cut and why----

The Dinner Show - This was supposed to be the big fancy sit-down restaurant next to Oga's Cantina. The Cantina was just supposed to be the small lobby lounge for the Dinner Show, like how Carthay Circle has its lounge downstairs. The Dinner Show would have been audience interactive and had AGVA performers, singers, musicians, and a small army of Tech Services CM's running the show, like a swanky Star Wars version of the Hoop De Doo Revue in World.

The space for the restaurant is still there as a paved parking lot now, and will be used as overflow queue line for the Falcon ride. The dinner show was one of the first things Chapek cut because it would cost a lot to keep running and operating, and Chapek doesn't like to set the bar high on stuff. According to Ent. management, Chapek likes to lower the bar as much as he can and then raise it later if enough people complain.

Oga's Cantina is TINY!!!!! and it's going to be hard to get in there, and they don't want you to stay long.

The Droids - These were cut out of the land entirely over a year ago, and the line that it's because of "overcrowding" is totally false. The real reason the droids were cut is because they would be operated remotely by Ent. CM's backstage who would be classified by the union as Puppeteers, and Puppeteers have a higher pay scale than many other Ent. CM's. This was easy for Chapek to cut because he got to it just before fabrication was to start, so he saved on fabrication costs over two fiscal years and saves on the cost of the Puppeteer payscales now.

This was also why they cancelled the Disney Jr. puppet show in DCA and turned it into a dance party, because a Puppeteer payscale is very high. A droid interacting with an audience has to be controlled by a union Puppeteer, so goodbye to all the droids that WDI planned for!!!.

The Land Performers - When we were going into Smuggler's Run, the overhead walkways and bridges nearby in the land were pointed out to me. This is where Ent. had interactive performances planned that would have gone along the rooflines and overhead walkways around the western half of the land. The show concept was going to use stuntmen, AGVA performers, and Tech Services to run it, and all of those classifications have upper payscales in the union contract, especially stuntmen. So Chapek cut them, but says he may approve adding them back later.

Ent. management also says that Chapek is fascinated by making the ride ops and foods and stores CM's get into the "Show" with their Batuu language. He's hoping that the ride ops and shop cashiers and foods CM's will be entertaining enough that you won't miss AGVA performers and professionally trained entertainers. It's much cheaper to pay a ride op to ham it up than it is to pay a professional singer/dancer/actor, plus the Tech Services that run their equipment and backstage support!!!

Also, the Smuggler's Run CM's told us they were supposed to be assigned to Rise of the Resistance, but Resistance is so screwed up and so behind schedule that they have nowhere else to go. They can't get the Resistance ride to run for more than 15 minutes at a time, before it breaks down for two or three hours!!!

I'm going back to the land next week for more rides and previews, I'll see what else gets mentioned!!!

It's unreal how cheap Disney is. This is the most guaranteed home run opening for any park expansion ever. It will be packed for months/years. And Disney is STILL so damn cheap they only spent the bare minimum needed. This is why I MUCH prefer Universal. They add the little things, needed or not. There is always a bus driver outside Diagonal Alley, even if no one is talking to him. Disney would have someone watching over, counting interactions, and as soon as they got below a threshold, he'd be gone

As they've been doing for decades now, Disney doesn't care about wowing guests any more. Simply giving them the minimum needed to make most of them happy, and that's it. If most idiots visiting WDW think 3 rides a day is a good enough deal, that's all they now deliver.

They've altered the deal, pray they don't alter it any further.

Castle Cake Apologist

It's unreal how cheap Disney is. This is the most guaranteed home run opening for any park expansion ever. It will be packed for months/years. And Disney is STILL so damn cheap they only spent the bare minimum needed. This is why I MUCH prefer Universal. They add the little things, needed or not. There is always a bus driver outside Diagonal Alley, even if no one is talking to him. Disney would have someone watching over, counting interactions, and as soon as they got below a threshold, he'd be gone

As they've been doing for decades now, Disney doesn't care about wowing guests any more. Simply giving them the minimum needed to make most of them happy, and that's it. If most idiots visiting WDW think 3 rides a day is a good enough deal, that's all they now deliver.

They've altered the deal, pray they don't alter it any further.

It's good to see that you troll the Disneyland forum too with the exact same drivel.

TROR

Star Wars is a historical cinematic achievement with groundbreaking special effects and took the best of cinema and entertainment and made it into one amazing spectacle of a film. The Last Jedi is a tv writer trying to be edgy and doing something different because it’s different.
The Last Jedi is kino

SirWillow

Yeah, it says they have no taste in fashion.

Or it says that they are at a point in life where they are far more concerned with being comfortable than giving a rip what other people think about how they look.

I get it. I'm rapidly starting to approach that stage myself. If people are concerned with how I dress, that's their problem, not mine. If they don't like my shoes, so what? My feet are comfortable and that's far more important to me. :p

mickEblu

when the first thing you obsess over is what someone is wearing.. it says more about you than them.

Who’s obsessing? When you come to this determination from one post from a stranger in a chat room that also can say something about you. We analyze things here. That’s what we do all day. We took a break from analyzing SWL to giving our opinion on the fashion of some Hollywood moguls. Nobody is losing any sleep over what they wear or judging them for it.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Or it says that they are at a point in life where they are far more concerned with being comfortable than giving a rip what other people think about how they look.

I get it. I'm rapidly starting to approach that stage myself. If people are concerned with how I dress, that's their problem, not mine. If they don't like my shoes, so what? My feet are comfortable and that's far more important to me. :p

Heck I’m almost there now at 36. Not cuffed up mom jeans with clunky new balances there but almost there. The days where I step it up are becoming fewer and far between. I think marriage and children and sitting in traffic probably have something to do with that.

Touchdown

They are better dressed then I am at theme parks, my standard apperal is park t shirt, cargo shorts, white socks and sneakers. Granted I step it up a little at Disney and Universal with a park polo shirt from time to time but otherwise the outfit is unchanged and wins no fashion awards but tends to be a very popular look. Anyone critiquing how these multimillionaires wear to a park should take a hard look in the mirror.

That said, I don’t understand Steven’s sneaker choice, that’s a bit crazy but whatever makes him comfortable, I say go for it!

mickEblu

They are better dressed then I am at theme parks, my standard apperal is park t shirt, cargo shorts, white socks and sneakers. Granted I step it up a little at Disney and Universal with a park polo shirt from time to time but otherwise the outfit is unchanged and wins no fashion awards but tends to be a very popular look. Anyone critiquing how these multimillionaires wear to a park should take a hard look in the mirror.

That said, I don’t understand Steven’s sneaker choice, that’s a bit crazy but whatever makes him comfortable, I say go for it!

No but when Joan Rivers did it she got paid millions and everyone laughed. Some of y’all are way too sensitive.

fctiger

Heck I’m almost there now at 36. Not cuffed up mom jeans with clunky new balances there but almost there. The days where I step it up are becoming fewer and far between. I think marriage and children and sitting in traffic probably have something to do with that.

You're not 'almost there' at 36 lol. YOu are 30 years away from retirement age. Those guys are senior citizens. But I have no issues with how they dress though, its a bit ridiculous of much attention is being paid to it in this thread, but this is the internet. Boredom brings on all kinds of conversations.

mickEblu

You're not 'almost there' at 36 lol. YOu are 30 years away from retirement age. Those guys are senior citizens. But I have no issues with how they dress though, its a bit ridiculous of much attention is being paid to it in this thread, but this is the internet. Boredom brings on all kinds of conversations.

Lol I meant to say I’m almost dressing like them some days at 36. Right, boredom can do that. In real life I wouldn’t look twice at a senior citizen dressed like that. Then again these aren’t your ordinary seniors.

Anyway I hope I look like Bob Iger at his age. Not so much the other two.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom