News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

SSG

Wow. That would be like me taking out my hate for GOTG:MB on Chris Pratt.

chris pratt oh snap GIF

solidyne

I remember (because I'm so old) back around 1978... Mark Hamill said in an interview (probably Starlog magazine--it was all SW fans had back then) that he went into a Toys R Us around Halloween of '77 to check out the SW costumes for kids. He said they were all sold out except for row upon row of Luke Skywalker costumes no one wanted featuring the cheap plastic mask of his face. "There were rows and rows of me."
Aww poor baby.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I mean... fans have taken it out on the actors... Kelly Marie Tran quit social media because of it. As well, when you put a lot of effort and time into a character, it can be very damaging to have 1000s of people essentially bashing your work.

Social media (and internet as a whole really) has been both a blessing and a curse to society. It gives people a voice that never had one before, but it also gives people the ability to tweet/post every insane thought that vomits out of their head every 10 seconds while remaining mostly anonymous.

SuddenStorm

To be fair, I think nearly all fans just hated the character. Anyone who did give the actor himself a hard time is the worst kind of nerd.

This. I've seen tons and tons of Jar Jar and Rose jokes (who I assume @Evan-500 was referencing, I haven't really been following the thread the last day or two), but haven't seen anything that was directed towards the actor.

Part of participating in a film is opening yourself up to criticism of your performance, character, or the film itself. Every Jar Jar joke I've seen has been in good fun, and I've never seen anyone that said anything derogatory about the actor that portrayed him.

That said, I understand the negative toll on your mental health seeing a character you spent time portraying made fun of endlessly. I hope that as a fanbase, they also don't allow personal attacks on any of the actors in Star Wars.

SuddenStorm

I mean... fans have taken it out on the actors... Kelly Marie Tran quit social media because of it. As well, when you put a lot of effort and time into a character, it can be very damaging to have 1000s of people essentially bashing your work.

In the case of Tran, when she quit Instagram/social media- the overwhelming response online was "Racism and attacks on the actress herself within Star Wars fanbase in unnacceptable". Like Irish Bruh said, it gives people a voice who otherwise wouldn't have one and in some cases, probably shouldn't.

SuddenStorm

Wow. That would be like me taking out my hate for GOTG:MB on Chris Pratt.

The comparison I'd use would be personally attacking Pressler and Harris vs attacking their professional decision making in regards to Disneyland. I think the fanbase unanimously dislikes what they did to Disneyland, but I don't think anyone would attack their appearance, race, or personal traits.

Which I hope is the case in Star Wars- I'd hope that any attack on Jar Jar/Rose wouldn't extend to the people that portrayed them.

SuddenStorm

Unfortunately that is what happen. Too many fans took those characters as a personal slight and verbally attacked the actors directly on social media for "killing" their franchise.

Perhaps I'm ignorant or just missed it... but I spent lots of time on Reddit in 2018 and never saw any attack on Tran herself, or any attacks on the guy that portrayed Jar Jar.

Not saying it didn't happen, since there's always people who feel the need to unnecessarily attack others, but I worry that it's an extremely small minority of people that should be disregarded and not taken seriously and give a bad name to all the other Star Wars fans.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Perhaps I'm ignorant or just missed it... but I spent lots of time on Reddit in 2018 and never saw any attack on Tran herself, or any attacks on the guy that portrayed Jar Jar.

Not saying it didn't happen, since there's always people who feel the need to unnecessarily attack others, but I worry that it's an extremely small minority of people that should be disregarded and not taken seriously and give a bad name to all the other Star Wars fans.
Even a small minority that uses race to attack is one too many.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I agree, but I worry that the story has been portrayed in such a way to make it sound like the Star Wats community has a meaningful portion of people who resort to such attacks.
Well that same can be said about a lot of things in life, or any fandom for that matter. The vocal minority is what gets covered by the media no matter the topic. Its unfortunate but the old saying is true, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease", meaning the loudest and most vocal gets the most attention.

bclane

I agree, but I worry that the story has been portrayed in such a way to make it sound like the Star Wats community has a meaningful portion of people who resort to such attacks.
It's definitely not the majority of the Star Wars fanbase that is attacking the actors themselves imo, but there was a considerable amount of hate poured on on Tran, Best, Lloyd, etc. It's truly a shame that people can be so hateful.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's exactly what I'm thinking too. None of this stuff is worth my money, it all just seems a tad too vague and nerdy looking. I wouldn't display it anywhere, or want to look at it.

Most of it looks like the resin cast crap they had in the fake prop area at DHS. You can be nerdy if its impressive or real looking.. fake and nerdy... no bueno.

Rich T

It's definitely not the majority of the Star Wars fanbase that is attacking the actors themselves imo, but there was a considerable amount of hate poured on on Tran, Best, Lloyd, etc. It's truly a shame that people can be so hateful.
That's the dark side of fandom, whether it be films, comics, sports, video games or theme parks. Some people lose all perspective (or never had any to begin with). It's sad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom