News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

180º

Well to be fair 2 and 3 are still up in the air and #1 I kind of took as Hyperbole. It’s also a fluid situation that can change. And just cause CMs didn’t “want” to work SWL doesn’t mean they could turn it down... unless they want to lose their job. There are plenty of projects I didn’t want to work at my old job but I worked on every single one of them. Lol
This. There is actually some truth to SWGE’s undesirable reputation among cast members. I don’t think it’s as bad as Westsider thinks it is, but he didn’t just make it up. So yeah, hyperbole.

As for the other two, we’ll see. I respect and revere our own insiders here, but most of the ones shooting down Westsider’s claims aren’t specifically connected to Disneyland ops. Westsider has been correct enough in the past that I can’t totally overlook what he says.

lifeisgoodboy

Disneyland expanding parking, changing visitor rules to prepare for 'Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge'

Link to ABC7 story.

PARKING:
The park is adding a Pixar Pals parking structure with more than 5,000 spaces. It's slated to open by the end of July and will include an electronic parking system to help people find spaces quickly.

The existing Toy Story lot will also add more than 2,000 additional spaces, with more entrances.

Security screening will be set up before guests board the Toy Story parking shuttle, so they won't have to wait for screening in the Esplanade area during busy times.

STROLLER SIZE:
Currently, strollers are allowed with dimensions no bigger than 36" by 52." That allowable dimension will change to 31" by 52."

Disneyland will also enforce the "no wagons" policy inside the park to help with crowd flow.

SMOKING:
Disneyland and California Adventure currently each have one designated smoking area. Those areas will be eliminated and smoking will only be allowed outside the secure areas of the Esplanade.

That essentially will make Disneyland a smoke-free resort as of May 1.

GALAXY'S EDGE ADMISSION AND RESERVATIONS:
Reservations - at no extra charge - will be required to visit the Star Wars attraction when it first opens until June 23.

After June 23, a boarding pass system with group-based admission times will be established so that people won't have to wait in line for "Galaxy's Edge."

There use to be a cigar store on main street

britain

T
This. There is actually some truth to SWGE’s undesirable reputation among cast members. I don’t think it’s as bad as Westsider thinks it is, but he didn’t just make it up. So yeah, hyperbole.

As for the other two, we’ll see. I respect and revere our own insiders here, but most of the ones shooting down Westsider’s claims aren’t specifically connected to Disneyland ops. Westsider has been correct enough in the past that I can’t totally overlook what he says.

There’s two ways a rumor like “Months late! Like November late!” could have legitimacy while previously they were expecting a mid-summer opening:

1) A single important thing needs replacing. Like ripping out a defunct Yeti, and its concrete base. Maybe reordering and remanufacturing all new trackless vehicles from a different vendor?

2) Frustratingly slow progress when tweaking many variables in a complex system can cause employees to leak “Bah! This is taking forever! First this thing breaks which leads to that thing not working, which triggers this... I’m not making any promises to management. This could take til November at this rate!”

The first is a logical statement based on the realities of construction / manufacturing. The second is an emotionally fueled reaction to taming a very complex system.

We’ve heard a few rumblings that could indicate either of these scenarios could be the truth. I’m hoping it’s the latter.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
T

There’s two ways a rumor like “Months late! Like November late!” could have legitimacy while previously they were expecting a mid-summer opening:

1) A single important thing needs replacing. Like ripping out a defunct Yeti, and its concrete base. Maybe reordering and remanufacturing all new trackless vehicles from a different vendor?

2) Frustratingly slow progress when tweaking many variables in a complex system can cause employees to leak “Bah! This is taking forever! First this thing breaks which leads to that thing not working, which triggers this... I’m not making any promises to management. This could take til November at this rate!”

The first is a logical statement based on the realities of construction / manufacturing. The second is an emotionally fueled reaction to taming a very complex system.

We’ve heard a few rumblings that could indicate either of these scenarios could be the truth. I’m hoping it’s the latter.

As a real-time embedded systems engineer, I can tell you that coordinating tasks and timing can be a challenge for a small system, let alone a complex system like RotR, even for the best of the best engineers. You can only test your code to a certain degree until you get the full system up and running, and even then there are just too many circumstances to foresee until the rubber meets the road in full testing.

While Disney has done plenty of timing scenarios on attractions and has a few trackless systems under their belt, it seems like this is the most intricate trackless timing system they've attempted to date. Even IJA after 24 years still goes down a lot because of timing issues. I've had to create from scratch the design for a reduced instruction set processor in school and it took me hours to track down an issue in the Verilog code because I misspelled something wrong. Look up priority inversion and the Mars Pathfinder project and how it completely died while on Mars because of one single line of wrong code.

They'll get it working and it will be great. I just get frustrated when non-technical people say negative things and think that Disney engineers should be perfect and that problems can't arise.

P.S. while I replied to you @britain none of this was directed toward you, but to the public in general.

britain

As a real-time embedded systems engineer, I can tell you that coordinating tasks and timing can be a challenge for a small system, let alone a complex system like RotR, even for the best of the best engineers. You can only test your code to a certain degree until you get the full system up and running, and even then there are just too many circumstances to foresee until the rubber meets the road in full testing.

While Disney has done plenty of timing scenarios on attractions and has a few trackless systems under their belt, it seems like this is the most intricate trackless timing system they've attempted to date. Even IJA after 24 years still goes down a lot because of timing issues. I've had to create from scratch the design for a reduced instruction set processor in school and it took me hours to track down an issue in the Verilog code because I misspelled something wrong. Look up priority inversion and the Mars Pathfinder project and how it completely died while on Mars because of one single line of wrong code.

They'll get it working and it will be great. I just get frustrated when non-technical people say negative things and think that Disney engineers should be perfect and that problems can't arise.

P.S. while I replied to you @britain none of this was directed toward you, but to the public in general.

Nice insight, thanks! I guess I really could have summed up my thoughts as...

1. It's a known problem that definitely takes a specific number of months to fix. (Hardware)
  2. It's an unknown problem that could very well take many unknown months to fix. (Software)

BrianLo

Original Poster
I'll continue comparing it to past products since that really hasn't failed me yet (the May opening was FORETOLD)...

There was +++++++++++ more panic from very reliable people about Shanghai's ability to open half its attractions on time. All told everything did.

This is an Iger legacy project, that does hold an important distinction.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This just popped up in my youtube recommendations... I don't know why...

Your cookies betray you.

Phroobar

This should answer your question:

So basically Disney doesn't know how it will work either. My guess is their servers will go DoS and all reservations will be gone within the first two minutes. So good luck in getting those reservations. Somehow FreshBaked Disney and MiceChat will end up with every reservation and declare the land a failure because they are the only ones there.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So basically Disney doesn't know how it will work either. My guess is their servers will go DoS and all reservations will be gone within the first two minutes. So good luck in getting those reservations. Somehow FreshBaked Disney and MiceChat will end up with every reservation and declare the land a failure because they are the only ones there.

I'm sure they know how it'll work. I'm assuming the announcement will be made soon (maybe next week, hmm) when the reservations will be open. Interesting that Celebration is next week, coincidence, maybe.

fctiger

I suspect as long as you make reservations the first week is open and your schedule is WIDE open I can't see how people can't get a spot somewhere. I mean if they let in 10-20 thousand in a day (when you factor in they will be able to squeeze in more since everyone is on a limited time period and the park will be open 16 hours) and 21 days, thats the potential for a lot of people. I don't see it filling up that quickly even after hotel guests reach their quota. Yes the first weekend will probably sell out opening day but I doubt its going to be a crazy rush that fills up in hours. Especially if you're not a local and have to plan these things out a bit if you're just too far away. My guess is its not going to be hard to get a reservation just as long as you can settle for any day and time and maybe limited on people who will go (that's going to be the REAL question, how many people can you reserve at once?).

All that said, I'm prepared to be totally wrong. ;D

Phroobar

I suspect as long as you make reservations the first week is open and your schedule is WIDE open I can't see how people can't get a spot somewhere. I mean if they let in 10-20 thousand in a day (when you factor in they will be able to squeeze in more since everyone is on a limited time period and the park will be open 16 hours) and 21 days, thats the potential for a lot of people. I don't see it filling up that quickly even after hotel guests reach their quota. Yes the first weekend will probably sell out opening day but I doubt its going to be a crazy rush that fills up in hours. Especially if you're not a local and have to plan these things out a bit if you're just too far away. My guess is its not going to be hard to get a reservation just as long as you can settle for any day and time and maybe limited on people who will go (that's going to be the REAL question, how many people can you reserve at once?).

All that said, I'm prepared to be totally wrong. ;D
I just hope they handle their servers correctly. I can see people attacking them or trying to reserve more than they should. For example, San Diego Comic Con had to build an elaborate ticket system with lottery that sells out within a couple of hours and they let in 20k per day. It could be a total disaster.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Another unknown is if it will be tied to an admission ticket or annual pass, allowing Disney to limit repeat visits.

I’m not sure what you mean. Your reservation is just that a reservation to enter the land at a specific time, there is no standby, so no ability for repeat visits. Because valid admission is required to even get into the park, let alone the land, its obvious it’ll be tied to your ticket just like a FP.

fctiger

I just hope they handle their servers correctly. I can see people attacking them or trying to reserve more than they should. For example, San Diego Comic Con had to build an elaborate ticket system with lottery that sells out within a couple of hours and they let in 20k per day. It could be a total disaster.

Sure I guess something could happen like that. But the difference is CC is a few days once a year deal and everyone is hip to how crazy it is just to get inside that thing now.

As far as SWL, it will be sitting there the next 50 years or so and getting to see it the first three weeks isn't going to be the be all and end all to everyone so my guess is sure people who HAS to see it when it opens will be trying to make a reservation for it like crazy but I think most will just be patient and wait for it to die down a little (or just go the day it opens for everyone). Or wait for ROTR to officially opens. If that ride opened the first month it would probably be a more do or die thing. Again I expect to be proven utterly wrong lol.

TBH we had already decided to wait out for the craziness to die down but now want to make a run for the reservation. But if I wrong and it does sell out in five hours or something, we'll stick to our original plan and just wait a few months or see line up is trending this summer.

Also I read on MiceChat Disney is now working on the idea of a queueless wait system (or basically a FP for everyone) for both the rides and to get into SWL itself. So they are really trying not to make it the chaos everyone is predicting. If that's true then thats a really great option to try early on too.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom