News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Incomudro

I agree! (I don't think you're being sarcastic....) I might be alone, but "interactivity" is overrated. Immersion to me is more passive. Again, that's just me.

You're correct, I'm not being sarcastic.
Star Tours is still a great ride to me, and the Falcon Ride given the land it's in, cue, new technology etc. would certainly be a great ride if the crew were 100% passive passengers.
I know there's a heavy emphasis by Disney regarding our involvement in the voyage - but I have no doubt that our involvement wouldn't be necessary for a great ride.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Agreed. Team-based games of skill are for home video gaming where time and pricing are not a factor, or for competition-based stand-alone experiences (paintball, escape rooms) where you know you're paying money for something that requires skill. It's NOT a scenario for a mass-market Disneyland attraction that Joe Public and his family have spent a ton of money and waited three hours in line to ride.

Well I would say go in prepared to have it fully interactive with full control, and be happy when its nothing more than just pushing some buttons and levers.

mickEblu

A reporter who got a preview of GE and the elements and background of it was interviewed. Probably nothing you haven't heard before but a lot of it was new to me. And its fun to hear a first hand experience of what she saw and learned. Anyway have a look.

Thanks for sharing.... the interviewer is NICE!

Rich T

Well I would say go in prepared to have it fully interactive with full control, and be happy when its nothing more than just pushing some buttons and levers.
I'm taking the opposite route: I'm going in expecting choose-your-own-adventure simplicity that doesn't really require any input at all but still gives a fun ride...and I'll be very pleasantly surprised to find more than that. :)

Of course, this is all subject to change once the reviews start flooding in-- But I've been burned once before by my own expectations for the "3 Endings!" finale of Horizons. :D

Rich T

From the pictures I've seen, the shops will not be anything like Star Trader. And to me, the idea of having plush dolls of characters from the movies in the park does not break immersion because these plush dolls simply represent legendary characters that people in that universe would have heard about and may admire as heroes or villains or whatever and therefore give toys representing them to their kids (or as gifts for themselves). I would assume that if the Star Wars movies were real that at least some of these stories would have reached the Outer Rim planets...especially since some of those characters have visited the planet multiple times, and there is currently both a Resistance and First Order presence there.
I applaud your excellent creative reasoning, but I really think many SW super-fans are putting more thought into this than the Imagineers did--and are building up very unrealistic expectations. This is Disneyland. You're going to be surrounded by hordes of fellow theme park customers wearing Captain Marvel shirts and playing Fortnite on their phones. No matter how detailed the surroundings, no one is going to actually feel like they're anywhere but a well-designed theme park environment. And there's nothing wrong with that. But this is not the SW planet in Ready Player One.

bclane

I applaud your excellent creative reasoning, but I really think many SW super-fans are putting more thought into this than the Imagineers did--and are building up very unrealistic expectations. This is Disneyland. You're going to be surrounded by hordes of fellow theme park customers wearing Captain Marvel shirts and playing Fortnite on their phones. No matter how detailed the surroundings, no one is going to actually feel like they're anywhere but a well-designed theme park environment. And there's nothing wrong with that. But this is not the SW planet in Ready Player One.
You might be right...but I'll be crying to many tears of joy to see through my rose colored glasses to notice that I'm not actually on Batuu. :)

drod1985

I applaud your excellent creative reasoning, but I really think many SW super-fans are putting more thought into this than the Imagineers did--and are building up very unrealistic expectations.

There is a middle ground. And what the Imagineers have cooked up (as @bclane summarized) is totally reasonable. Anybody expecting anything more than that is only setting yourself up for disappointment.

Epcot_Imagineer

Can someone help me with a Vader-style funeral pyre for @SWGalaxysEdge? Their information was great, but stopped posting a couple pages back as they thought people here were making fun of their various postings. Hopefully we can resurrect them as a Force Jedi so that we can still receive info on the boards from the beyond.

shortstop

Can someone help me with a Vader-style funeral pyre for @SWGalaxysEdge? Their information was great, but stopped posting a couple pages back as they thought people here were making fun of their various postings. Hopefully we can resurrect them as a Force Jedi so that we can still receive info on the boards from the beyond.
He’s probably hanging out somewhere with Hans, Constance, and @GiveMeTheMusic

fctiger

This is what people have to remember, end of the day its still a theme park. I don't care how 'immersive' you make a land, as long as everyone in it still dressed in their modern day clothes and has their phones to look up sport scores, reruns of Park and Rec or the latest in the Middle East you will never be completely immersed. I been to practically every Disney theme park on the planet including TDS multiple times and that's probably the most immersed Disney theme park ever designed. And yet I never forget I'm still in a theme park no matter what they do to make you think other wise. SWL won't be any different. Some people are just becoming a bit too obsessed over the concept and taking it to an extreme.

GE is not a real living environment. It's set up to tell a very elaborate story, but that's what it still is, fiction, and not an actual living breathing area. You're suppose to believe you are in the setting, but it can't ever make you believe its a true to life setting either if you show up in skinny jeans and pay for your blue milk in American dollars or Apple Pay. That illusion has already been broken literally the second we step in it as ourselves. In other words, accept its a land in a theme park and not a actual land. You have to make some concessions.

Phroobar

This is what people have to remember, end of the day its still a theme park. I don't care how 'immersive' you make a land, as long as everyone in it still dressed in their modern day clothes and has their phones to look up sport scores, reruns of Park and Rec or the latest in the Middle East you will never be completely immersed. I been to practically every Disney theme park on the planet including TDS multiple times and that's probably the most immersed Disney theme park ever designed. And yet I never forget I'm still in a theme park no matter what they do to make you think other wise. SWL won't be any different. Some people are just becoming a bit too obsessed over the concept and taking it to an extreme.

GE is not a real living environment. It's set up to tell a very elaborate story, but that's what it still is, fiction, and not an actual living breathing area. You're suppose to believe you are in the setting, but it can't ever make you believe its a true to life setting either if you show up in skinny jeans and pay for your blue milk in American dollars or Apple Pay. That illusion has already been broken literally the second we step in it as ourselves. In other words, accept its a land in a theme park and not a actual land. You have to make some concessions.
Like that is a bad thing.

fctiger

Sorry if this has been answered already, any notions if Rise of the Resistance will be open by the end of July?

Disney is saying nothing beyond it won't open at opening so for now your guess is as good as ours. If I was a betting man it would be open before then but then I've lost a lot of money betting in the past. ;)

ThistleMae

This is optimism. :) The ride’s going to be great. What it’s not going to be is Microsoft Flight Simulator. The Imagineers would not design one of the most important rides they’ve ever worked on to be an experience that an unskilled guest (99 percent of those who’ll ride) could muck up.
I totally agree with you actually. It's going to be great, but it's not going to be like a video game where you get to control your vehicle.

ThistleMae

I'm taking the opposite route: I'm going in expecting choose-your-own-adventure simplicity that doesn't really require any input at all but still gives a fun ride...and I'll be very pleasantly surprised to find more than that. :)

Of course, this is all subject to change once the reviews start flooding in-- But I've been burned once before by my own expectations for the "3 Endings!" finale of Horizons. :D
I'm taking this view as well. I don't think it's going to be super interactive. I think the land will be cool and so will the rides, but actually controlling the moves the ship will take, not likely to happen. But...if it's more than the button pushing, stick moving around or whatever, I would definitely be impressed. I'm going to like the ride no matter what. I was super thrilled at the way they designed FOP. Because of the shape of the seats, like riding a motorcycle, I felt that when I leaned right or left, I was riding the banshee. Best ride ever, IMO.

Phroobar

Right. But some people just won't be satisfied till they're actually shot by a bounty hunter after a botched smuggling mission. 🤷🏻‍♂️
If that is true then they need one of these.
41d11IcPL%2BL.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom