News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

fctiger

Sounds like a good idea. I wonder how many others will be watching SW movies (or acting them out) while in line waiting....

Well that is definitely the plan! And we done this before with other big rides at opening. We watched Finding Nemo in line when FNSV opened in 2007 and both Cars movies when RSR opened (although the line only ended up being 90 minutes when it was posted at 130 minutes when we first rode it but also covered Mater's which was an hour too). Its just a fun way to get into the spirit and time does fly. But those were around two hours and under. As said we're prepared to go up to five but who knows when we go it may not be anything close to that but we are bringing the movies either way. ;)

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Speaking of "breaking the illusion", brother, I can tell you such stories.

Like when Walt Disney announced Disneyland and he said we would fly with Peter Pan. Well, fella, let me tell you -- I didn't fly anywhere, I was suspended from the ceiling in a fiberglass frigate (completely out of scale, I might add) while moving on a factory conveyor belt over some robot puppets. RIP-OFF!!! It was fake! All Fake! I was supposed to "use my imagination" or "put things in context"? Buddy, I didn't pay to go there and work, they're supposed to do all that for me.

And don't get me started on that whole "Rocket to the Moon" crap! When we "left Earth", to experience zero gravity, I tossed a quarter in the air and it fell and hit a baby in the eye. Baby starts bawlin', everyone's looking at me like I'm the bad guy. I start shouting, tell everyone the trip is fake, and they start yelling at me, and get this -- I didn't get my quarter back.

I think the only real thing in the park is the actor playing Lincoln. He's amazing. I've seen him a few times over the years and he's able to give the exact same performance each time I go. Pal, that's some dedication right there, amigo.

Anyway...

Point is, Disney may have stated that Galaxy's Edge is the most immersive and detailed display of theming they've ever done, and that may very well be true -- for them. But it's still a Disney theme park, you're not going to be transported like Schwarzenegger in Total Recall to a place where you can't distinguish reality from the outside world. You'll see price tags on merch, someone is going to ask you for a credit card to pay for your "Ronto Burger" or "Mynock Buffalo Wings" or "Roasted Rancor Meatloaf", you'll find T-Shirts, plush toys...you might even be able to buy a Coke somewhere (maybe not, but I wouldn't be shocked if they did offer soft drinks at some nook). Just like the rest of the Park, only in next-level highly-themed restaurants and shops. Did you really think otherwise? If so, I don't know what to tell you.
No I didn't think otherwise but one thing I was NOT expecting was shops similar to STAR TRADER in a land that is supposed to be the most immersive ever. and seeing normal price tags and watto and yoda plush dolls in these shops count to me as another little item to note on so far how Disney does not get STAR WARS and how unwell planned out the theme of the land was to begin with.

fctiger

A reporter who got a preview of GE and the elements and background of it was interviewed. Probably nothing you haven't heard before but a lot of it was new to me. And its fun to hear a first hand experience of what she saw and learned. Anyway have a look.

ThistleMae

Well that is definitely the plan! And we done this before with other big rides at opening. We watched Finding Nemo in line when FNSV opened in 2007 and both Cars movies when RSR opened (although the line only ended up being 90 minutes when it was posted at 130 minutes when we first rode it but also covered Mater's which was an hour too). Its just a fun way to get into the spirit and time does fly. But those were around two hours and under. As said we're prepared to go up to five but who knows when we go it may not be anything close to that but we are bringing the movies either way. ;)
I'll definitely watch the last one that's currently out on DVD...as I haven't seen it yet, my sister has it. That won't be till this summer. Then I'll just wait for the newest one to come out. We wont be going to WDW till 2020, so hoping both rides will be open by then and FP+ will be active for those rides.

Incomudro

This is optimism. :) The ride’s going to be great. What it’s not going to be is Microsoft Flight Simulator. The Imagineers would not design one of the most important rides they’ve ever worked on to be an experience that an unskilled guest (99 percent of those who’ll ride) could muck up.

For sure.
The ride would be great if - like most rides - if we had no input at all.

Last edited:

Rich T

I agree! (I don't think you're being sarcastic....) I might be alone, but "interactivity" is overrated. Immersion to me is more passive. Again, that's just me.
Agreed. Team-based games of skill are for home video gaming where time and pricing are not a factor, or for competition-based stand-alone experiences (paintball, escape rooms) where you know you're paying money for something that requires skill. It's NOT a scenario for a mass-market Disneyland attraction that Joe Public and his family have spent a ton of money and waited three hours in line to ride.

Rich T

But you’re immersed in the real world while you interact with it all the time.
You don't have to pay $125 and wait in line for three hours to interact with the real world. And you don't stomp to Guest Services and demand a refund because Billy Bob Jr. couldn't understand the Falcon controls.

Phroobar

You don't have to pay $125 and wait in line for three hours to interact with the real world. And you don't stomp to Guest Services and demand a refund because Billy Bob Jr. couldn't understand the Falcon controls.
Don't be makin' fun of Billy Bob.

10.jpg

PB Watermelon

No I didn't think otherwise but one thing I was NOT expecting was shops similar to STAR TRADER in a land that is supposed to be the most immersive ever. and seeing normal price tags and watto and yoda plush dolls in these shops count to me as another little item to note on so far how Disney does not get STAR WARS and how unwell planned out the theme of the land was to begin with.

Here's a novel idea...why don't you just wait and see the place yourself before passing such negative judgement...or are you one of those who bristle at the very existence of Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland in the first place and will pounce on any sort of detail not to your liking to justify three years worth of pessimism?

bclane

From the pictures I've seen, the shops will not be anything like Star Trader. And to me, the idea of having plush dolls of characters from the movies in the park does not break immersion because these plush dolls simply represent legendary characters that people in that universe would have heard about and may admire as heroes or villains or whatever and therefore give toys representing them to their kids (or as gifts for themselves). I would assume that if the Star Wars movies were real that at least some of these stories would have reached the Outer Rim planets...especially since some of those characters have visited the planet multiple times, and there is currently both a Resistance and First Order presence there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom