Disney Irish

Premium Member
Political propaganda in DL, smh
if-you-join-the-darkside-you-get-star-wars-gal-5216090.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The media promotion begins.

The West Coast press junket starts today. It's at Lucasfilm, then Walt Disney Imagineering in Glendale, then at Disneyland. #SWGalaxysEdge #SWGECA

I thought Bob said they weren't gonna do much promotion.

I would think that applies to advertising buys. Press junkets are to control the message the press gets out. You don't want them reporting inaccuracies.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
The media promotion begins.

The West Coast press junket starts today. It's at Lucasfilm, then Walt Disney Imagineering in Glendale, then at Disneyland. #SWGalaxysEdge #SWGECA

I thought Bob said they weren't gonna do much promotion.

This is Bob's exact quote taken from the transcript:

"And I would say by the way, on the marketing expense side, don't expect much. I'm thinking that
maybe I should just tweet, "it's opening," and that would be enough. I think we're going to end
up with incredibly popular and in-demand product with these two new lands. They are large, they
are beautiful and they're extremely innovative, and they obviously leverage the popularity of the
Star Wars brand. And I think that we're going to have absolutely no problem gaining attention for
them or to them, and it's not going to take much marketing to do that. That's a signal that I just
sent to our parks and resorts people to keep that budget really low."

While I'm sure he's being somewhat facetious about the land promoting itself, which is pretty much true.....there's such a buzz about the lands from blogs, news sources, social media, word of mouth, the fact that it's Star Wars, etc., it seems he's more referring to not needing to spend much on marketing. It doesn't necessarily mean they won't market it.

If they advertise and promote on Disney owned properties, like Lucasfilm, the resorts, ABC, Disney Channel, Disney XD, etc., they won't need to spend large amounts of money. They easily could have had a spot during the Super Bowl, but why spend the money?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Do we know the percentage of each tier of annual passholders?
Disney doesn't release those figures.

Is the blockout of deluxe enough to keep crowds reasonable?
It depends on when you're specifically asking about and what you consider reasonable.

If you're asking about the first few days, no, I expect 3-6 hour waits. If you're asking about a couple weeks to a month after opening, then it'll be more reasonable, only 3 hour waits. 😂

JD2000

Disney doesn't release those figures.

It depends on when you're specifically asking about and what you consider reasonable.

If you're asking about the first few days, no, I expect 3-6 hour waits. If you're asking about a couple weeks to a month after opening, then it'll be more reasonable, only 3 hour waits. 😂
Well, supposedly everyone keeps renewing to higher tiers due to changes in the program. So the deluxe blockout in the summer could very well end up doing nothing. It would not surprise me to see it crowded every single day until next year sometime.

fctiger

Just curious but with Star Wars Celebration happening in April, do you guys think there is going to be any kind of panel for it there? I mean if you want to advertise you are opening an entire SWL for hardcore Star Wars geeks there is your captive audience for it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well, supposedly everyone keeps renewing to higher tiers due to changes in the program. So the deluxe blockout in the summer could very well end up doing nothing. It would not surprise me to see it crowded every single day until next year sometime.

To be honest I'm not sure where you get that impression. I don't see any data that indicates that lower APs are upgrading to higher tiers in droves. If this was the case we'd see Disney blocking out the Signature and Signature Plus APs during June as well, and that just didn't happen.

So yes I believe having up to the Deluxe APs blocked will have a significant impact from the AP crowding aspect. However with that said any lower tier that is blocked will just end up buying a daily ticket if they want to go that badly. So again I expect it to be very crowded even if all APs were blocked.

Bottom line if you don't want to wait in 6 hours lines don't go in the first week or two of opening.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Just curious but with Star Wars Celebration happening in April, do you guys think there is going to be any kind of panel for it there? I mean if you want to advertise you are opening an entire SWL for hardcore Star Wars geeks there is your captive audience for it.

I don't know if they'll have their own panel, but yes I expect there to be a SW:GE presence at Celebration.

Frontierland's Finest

I have this gut feeling that ROTR could have two costumes. One Resistance costume for the entrance/pre-show/exit and then a First Order for the loading process of the attraction. Then again you could just have one Resistance costume since the story revolves around getting getting taken hostage by the Resistance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom