News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

SWGalaxysEdge

From the SWGE model, this is where you will see Rey's (or one like it) speeder.
When I made this picture, I thought it might be someplace you go inside. maybe not...

48390895_10216274774155460_1139373575732461568_n.jpg

kthomas105

Why would Disney put in "affordable" GPUs in to their premier ride? Even affordable GPUs are around $600 or so give amazing graphics.
Not to put words in someone else's mouth but I think the point they were raising is that in 5 years the average consumer would be able to mach the graphics cabability of this ride because the price with become more affordable. So if Disney is not consistently updating the graphics for the ride with both hardware and software a visitor in 2024 might say "wow this ride is pretty lame it has the same graphics as my computer at home".

arcadex5

The Quadro P6000 is about the same speed of a new 2080 Ti RTX card, which is what high end gamer pc's are built with. What quadros give you is better floating point, 24gb of vram (standard is 8 or 11) and better drivers to render an image. I remember reading it it has 8 gfx cards for 5 screens, maybe at 4K each, that's a lot of memory just to fill in the pixels let alone textures and real time lighting.

Haha, just relized ive been lurking for amlost 10 years and never posted;)

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
From the SWGE model, this is where you will see Rey's (or one like it) speeder.
When I made this picture, I thought it might be someplace you go inside. maybe not...

View attachment 343612

I would assume they are using the same speeder that used to be in the Launch Bay before they replaced it with the section of the GE model.

star-wars-launch-bay.jpg

They probably had a stored away for eventual use in the land.

Phroobar

Not to put words in someone else's mouth but I think the point they were raising is that in 5 years the average consumer would be able to mach the graphics cabability of this ride because the price with become more affordable. So if Disney is not consistently updating the graphics for the ride with both hardware and software a visitor in 2024 might say "wow this ride is pretty lame it has the same graphics as my computer at home".
Why wouldn't Disneyland upgrade? They aren't WDW. ;)

BrianLo

Original Poster
Why would Disney put in "affordable" GPUs in to their premier ride? Even affordable GPUs are around $600 or so give amazing graphics.

My train of conversation got lost... :hilarious:

I was making a point to @mickEblu who thought current generation video games weren't realistic enough. I was stating Disney is using tech that is at least 5 years away from the affordable PC home market and 10-15 (2-3 generations) away from the home consoles. PC gamers still not really being 'average people', that's more home consoles.

The point was not that it was going to look bad, but that Disney was using high end tech so it should look very impressive to people today. Of course eventually it will need to be replaced/updated. But that's very easy to do as @Phrubruh mentions.

None of it was a criticism.

DLR>WDW

Here’s the other image to accompany the one shown above. (These are actually just expanded, higher quality images from the Galaxy’s Edge page on Disneyland.com.) Gives a clear look at the controls available on the Falcon, especially for the secondary positions. I see this working out like a combination of Toy Story Mania and Mission Space, where there are direct buttons and actions required of you to push (but if you don’t push them, nothing catastrophic will happen), with many hidden easter eggs that only happen if you know a certain combination or press a button at the correct time, such as the hidden targets in TSM.
2959D33C-DE83-4A81-A09A-0D18BC89A066.jpeg

Last edited:

Old Mouseketeer

My contact said the whole underside of the Falcon cockpits will be setup pretty much like Star Tours simulators.
I showed him these 2 pictures and he said pretty much spot on.

View attachment 342862View attachment 342863

"Spot-on" how? The top photo is clearly Star Tours 1.0, but the bottom shot looks like a Millenium Falcon film set. Unless you're trying to show why the Falcon cockpits are in such a long tube because of the windows in the roof of the cockpit.

Old Mouseketeer

Inside the Smuggler's Run building. A shot from the 2nd floor looking downwards.
They were working on installing one of those 2 story domes I showed you earlier.
Have to lower them in from the roof.

View attachment 343726

When you say "2 story domes I showed you earlier" do you mean the picture below? I was under the impression they were loaded horizontally through the roughly full-height hanger doors on the North and West sides of the Smuggler's Run show building.

1548297230692.png

What I saw being lowered through the roof were interior sections of the Falcon (you could identify them because they were wrapped in clear plastic). This was looking from the M&F roof and I believe there were pics posted.

SWGalaxysEdge

When you say "2 story domes I showed you earlier" do you mean the picture below? I was under the impression they were loaded horizontally through the roughly full-height hanger doors on the North and West sides of the Smuggler's Run show building.

View attachment 343844

What I saw being lowered through the roof were interior sections of the Falcon (you could identify them because they were wrapped in clear plastic). This was looking from the M&F roof and I believe there were pics posted.

..the interior Falcon pieces were from a while back.
Once the doors were closed up they had to lower them through the ceiling.
The picture looking down is from about 1 week ago and they were working assembling the ADA domes and then lowering them in from the roof.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom