News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

DanielBB8

Well... they made up Batuu. And many SW planets are just giant versions of geographic areas of Earth: an ice planet, a desert planet, a water planet, etc...

Therefor, they could have made up a California-esque planet, say 'Wowwuu', and made a SWL that fit in with DCA.

Then Wowwuu would be to DCA what Pandora is to DAK.
It’s not about California, Disneyland is more suitable for Star Wars Land because it’s quite a Disney-like IP that even Lucas says it’s a movie that Disney should have made (except when they went edgy like The Last Jedi and lost it’s way).

DCA having Marvel makes sense. Marvel can exploit the urban California locations.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Disneyland doesn’t really need more ride capacity. It needs physical capacity.

That doesn’t mean it shouldn’t get both, and the rides can’t output 3k people an hour. But people keeping talking about 14 acres like that’s the mistake... whereas if they crammed these two attractions into 5 acres it would have been ‘better’. I beg to differ.

Going big with the physical acreage was the right call.

DanielBB8

How do you achieve more physical capacity without the mass complaining about Disneyland losing its charm? People are crammed in exactly because it’s popular with attractions, merchandise, and foods. Retail and restaurants have even less capacity than attractions. Add more shows and parades? Sure. Best way to be uncrowded is let the park get stale.

shortstop

That doesn’t mean it shouldn’t get both, and the rides can’t output 3k people an hour. But people keeping talking about 14 acres like that’s the mistake... whereas if they crammed these two attractions into 5 acres it would have been ‘better’. I beg to differ.

Agreed. As much as I liked the old ROA, that was a HUGE amount of the park’s footprint that was unavailable to foot traffic. Disneyland can feel miserably crowded even on days when the lines aren’t very long, and this is truly on addressed with increases in walkable space.

mickEblu

It’s not about California, Disneyland is more suitable for Star Wars Land because it’s quite a Disney-like IP that even Lucas says it’s a movie that Disney should have made (except when they went edgy like The Last Jedi and lost it’s way).

DCA having Marvel makes sense. Marvel can exploit the urban California locations.

Just the name “Star WARS Land” doesn’t even fit with Disneyland.

mickEblu

I can’t speak for others but when I mention 14 acres in a negative light I’m referring to 14 acres being devoted to one IP.

PB Watermelon

How do you achieve more physical capacity without the mass complaining about Disneyland losing its charm? People are crammed in exactly because it’s popular with attractions, merchandise, and foods. Retail and restaurants have even less capacity than attractions. Add more shows and parades? Sure. Best way to be uncrowded is let the park get stale.

Build another Disneyland.

The stars at night
Are big and bright
(clap! clap! clap! clap!)
...deep in the heart of Texas.

mickrope.gif

fctiger

Something that can be addressed without making the place collapse... it just won’t make the “visit anytime *I* want” AP crowd happy.

I'm always amazed every time Disney opens a new ride, land, theme park, etc the same "OMG CAPACITY IS TOO LOW HUMANITY IS DOOMED" arguments start up again. Or that people never just take a step back and A. realize this has been said for countless rides and lands in the past and B. It all eventually works itself out. This argument has happened from the Nemo subs to WOC. There is always the same internet hysteria that a hot incoming attraction is just not going to reach the same capacity as others and somehow chaos will reign over it.

I never get it, all it means is the lines will be longer for awhile. People seem to understand that and simply wait. If the ride is worth it, they will continue to wait longer for it. If its not, the lines will simply dissipate in time regardless. This is how its always been regardless how big or small capacity is. Notice no one is losing sleep over not being able to get a ticket to WOC these days or worrying if they will be able to ride RSR. I remember the hoopla over that ride and how 'low' the capacity was for an E-ticket. Remember that? Well apparently no one does because its never brought up today. Pre-opening though that's all people talked about. "Only 1500 people per hour??? POTC gets twice that many!!! What were they thinking??" Now no one ever brings it up or talk about it.

And here is another shocker, not everyone will want to ride these rides right away. If they don't want to wait in a 6 hour line, they will come back in a few days/weeks/months and ride when things calm down.

SuddenStorm

I'm always amazed every time Disney opens a new ride, land, theme park, etc the same "OMG CAPACITY IS TOO LOW HUMANITY IS DOOMED" arguments start up again. Or that people never just take a step back and A. realize this has been said for countless rides and lands in the past and B. It all eventually works itself out. This argument has happened from the Nemo subs to WOC. There is always the same internet hysteria that a hot incoming attraction is just not going to reach the same capacity as others and somehow chaos will reign over it.

I never get it, all it means is the lines will be longer for awhile. People seem to understand that and simply wait. If the ride is worth it, they will continue to wait longer for it. If its not, the lines will simply dissipate in time regardless. This is how its always been regardless how big or small capacity is. Notice no one is losing sleep over not being able to get a ticket to WOC these days or worrying if they will be able to ride RSR. I remember the hoopla over that ride and how 'low' the capacity was for an E-ticket. Remember that? Well apparently no one does because its never brought up today. Pre-opening though that's all people talked about. "Only 1500 people per hour??? POTC gets twice that many!!! What were they thinking??" Now no one ever brings it up or talk about it.

And here is another shocker, not everyone will want to ride these rides right away. If they don't want to wait in a 6 hour line, they will come back in a few days/weeks/months and ride when things calm down.

Radiator Springs Racers standby is rarely less than 60 minutes, and is usually 90+.

This is because of the low capacity- the wait time could and should be shorter, improving guest experience.

I'd say that ride is a great example why capacity is a concern for these major attractions.

fctiger

I hear you , but the facts state that DL is already filled to capacity with plenty to keep people coming back ? Wouldn’t a true 2 park resort be better than one great park and very marginal park ?

People have been complaining for years now that DL has been getting short changed because of DCA. They have complained there has been no original E ticket in the park for decades and/or that its only been getting C and D tickets like Buzz and/or layovers like Nemo subs and Star Tours: TAC.

So here they are finally getting people want they want, a true expansion into DL with original E ticket rides(and what I'm actually excited about, the first time you will be able to completely circle the park) and people are suggesting they should just put it back into DCA? That would go over well lol. This kind of proves you will never please everybody.

Last edited:

fctiger

Radiator Springs Racers standby is rarely less than 60 minutes, and is usually 90+.

This is because of the low capacity- the wait time could and should be shorter, improving guest experience.

I'd say that ride is a great example why capacity is a concern for these major attractions.

I think you misunderstood my point. The point is no one cares thats its long! It's simply a popular ride with a long line, not exactly a first for DL. People simply adapt and accept that reality or it wouldn't be 90+ minutes in the first place 6 years later. But pre-opening people acted like this was going to be some major issue, like a popular ride with long line is going to break down City Hall (or whatever its called in DCA) with complaints. It didn't because most people don't even think about capacity, they simply get in the line if they feel its worth waiting for.

And there are many, many times the ride has low waits like every ride does in slower seasons. In fact the first year after the summer it fell into 20-30 minute waits. I know because I was there and my group got on it three times in one hour in that early September. And it usually falls to under an hour past 8 p.m. in high season. Its not like the thing is a 2 hour wait every hour of operation. No ride is, nor will it be in GE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom