News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Rich T

Here's another question that might have been answered before: Is it a pre-recorded digital film with branching paths or a processed-on-the-spot video game?
(EDIT) Or a combination of both?

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Here's another question that might have been answered before: Is it a pre-recorded digital film with branching paths or a processed-on-the-spot video game?
(EDIT) Or a combination of both?
I have to imagine that, given its supposed user-based actions, it will be way more like a video game. But of course...my brain goes into overdrive with that and wonders what happens if you get into a ride and literally all your crew just sits there doing nothing.

SuddenStorm

I have to imagine that, given its supposed user-based actions, it will be way more like a video game. But of course...my brain goes into overdrive with that and wonders what happens if you get into a ride and literally all your crew just sits there doing nothing.

Or worse....

If the pilots continually crash the ship or go in circles.
If the gunners refuse to shoot, or can't hit a darn thing.
If the engineers get confused with the hundreds of switches available and don't execute their job properly.

The problem with a video game ride is the fact that the experience has to last a set amount of time. Therefore, you can't have any real consequences. In a video game at home, if you don't do what you need to do, you crash and die. Disney won't let that happen here, which means that they'll either have one heck of an autopilot system to kick in if the people can't fly, or they'll let you crash and sit in the cockpit doing nothing until your time is up.

I'm extremely curious to see what solutions the Imagineers have to make the experience authentic and fun, regardless of the skill level of the crew.

TP2000

What happens when the customers in the cockpit just refuse to play along? Or they speak Danish, or Mandarin, or Portuguese and had no idea what was being laid out in the pre-show? And what happens for the two Americans who are big Star Wars fans and saved up for this vacation for a year and drove the minivan down from Boise and get stuck in the Engineers seat behind the four Danish tourists who refuse to push the controller in the right direction?

I’m assuming TDA already knows they will be setting up a satellite of City Hall at the exit to handle the complaints.

TROR

SW News:

Jon Favreau shared some info on his new streaming service SW series which began production this week.
The show will be called "The Mandalorian".

“After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic.”

Source: http://www.darkhorizons.com/star-wars-series-is-the-mandalorian/
Looks like Batuu

1538698834030.png

mlayton144

I have ZERO desire to ride this , will donate the spot to some poor sucker waiting in a 2 hour line. Very interested to experience the vibe and theming of the land though, even though it’s in the wrong park

nevol

Or worse....

If the engineers get confused with the hundreds of switches available and don't execute their job properly.

The problem with a video game ride is the fact that the experience has to last a set amount of time. Therefore, you can't have any real consequences. In a video game at home, if you don't do what you need to do, you crash and die. Disney won't let that happen here, which means that they'll either have one heck of an autopilot system to kick in if the people can't fly, or they'll let you crash and sit in the cockpit doing nothing until your time is up.

I'm extremely curious to see what solutions the Imagineers have to make the experience authentic and fun, regardless of the skill level of the crew.
Dying is often the most frustrating part of playing a video game. You keep playing, learn and grow more competent as you go along, and feel proud when you win, but in a more open world game where the focus isn't on winning, not dying is just fine. The objectives of these levels seem low impact. If somebody doesn't know how to fly, I expect a narrator (this character being thrown about) to tell the engineers what to do, and I expect light up buttons like in the hyperspace sequence on the solo dvd people are throwing around. They can very easily make the experience engaging for everyone. Lets say somebody controlling speed is jumpnig to hyperspace too often and damaging the ship or its running out of fuel. That would trigger more engagement from the engineers. If all goes well, all goes well, but the experience will be less funny at that point and probably feel less chaotic. I do expect it to have autopilot moments for everybody, just to push the narrative/levels along. Somehow the ship has to get back to batuu.

Last edited:

Incomudro

Or worse....

The ride is going to keep moving along just like any other ride.
You just might not maximize the experience.

IMDREW

My guess is that the ride has a default routine that provides a solid experience with no rider input required, and that--beyond extra story details--the rider input is 1) not as important as Disney PR suggests (shocker) and 2) so simple to execute that an orangutan with a sack over its head could manage it.
hahaha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom