News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

mickEblu

MB had two phases: laugh at the idiots believing such a stupid rumor and anger when it turned out to be true.

Lol oh that’s right. I forgot about that. I guess there would have been a brief shock phase in between those two too.

EDIT: Spirit broke the rumor so I personally didn’t laugh it off I was just hoping he got his facts wrong - like maybe it was a temporary overlay.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
MB had two phases: laugh at the idiots believing such a stupid rumor and anger when it turned out to be true.
Lol oh that’s right. I forgot about that. I guess there would have been a brief shock phase in between those two too.

In a way, Bobby did win in his battle to generate more revenue from me. Now when i'm at DCA and I see this landfill tower, I need to buy a few drinks. Never needed that before.

Ismael Flores

Meanwhile, at Disneyland...

disneyland1311.jpg
oh man i hate those turkey legs, I don't know why but seeing people walk around with those greasy things disgust me. no offense to anyone that likes them, its just the idea of walking around with something that should be eaten on the table creeps me out. I'm sure they are tasty but how many of those hands get turkey grease on them and then touch everything they come near to.
Do they even come wrapped with a paper holder or does everyone eat them like this with hands on the bone?

Incomudro

oh man i hate those turkey legs, I don't know why but seeing people walk around with those greasy things disgust me. no offense to anyone that likes them, its just the idea of walking around with something that should be eaten on the table creeps me out. I'm sure they are tasty but how many of those hands get turkey grease on them and then touch everything they come near to.
Do they even come wrapped with a paper holder or does everyone eat them like this with hands on the bone?

They're actually not good.
We got one for my son a couple of years ago and they have/had a sort of cold cut or processed cured meat taste.
Sort of corned beefish.
They didn't really taste like turkey.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Its bad news if execs are already panicking on this side of the SWL opening...I suspect that when it does open and everything goes to hell, they'll all be on vacation somewhere in the caribbean.

Ismael Flores

Well, in the video feature I mentioned, the millennium falcom show producer does look like she's too you to drink from Ooga's cantina so you could very well be on to something. I think this is just a prime example of what current Disneyland/DCA leadership is concerned about...flashy, expensive rides with limited daily capacity. I think they were just too far down the rabbit hole on this one to make any changes and quite honestly, they may be willing to live with it given the sheer number of people this addition will bring to Disneyland...even if those people may not get to experience and leave a bit unhappier than when they showed up.

In my opinion, I think that TDA might not realize that the whole land could be considered an attraction of its own. The attractions might not have a huge capacity but the land should keep people entertained for a few hours.
I think the biggest issue was not planning ahead for another attraction that could open a few months after the land opens. whether it be an addition to the land or another attraction in one of the other expansion pads around the park to help even out crowds.

Its too bad that the Marvel project keeps changing because that would have been the perfect balancing act for the resort if it had opened with a major attraction soon after SWGE opened and then added attractions that would open at least every year as it expanded that land.

mickEblu

I’m a big meat eater and Ill admit that those can gross me out sometimes. I mean don’t get wrong, I’ve eaten them 5 or 6 times but I’m usually sharing with someone. I feel like they were better a few years ago. The last couple I tried were kind of undercooked. The worst part about the turkey legs is the smell they leave on your hands.

mickEblu

In my opinion, I think that TDA might not realize that the whole land could be considered an attraction of its own. The attractions might not have a huge capacity but the land should keep people entertained for a few hours.
I think the biggest issue was not planning ahead for another attraction that could open a few months after the land opens. whether it be an addition to the land or another attraction in one of the other expansion pads around the park to help even out crowds.

Its too bad that the Marvel project keeps changing because that would have been the perfect balancing act for the resort if it had opened with a major attraction soon after SWGE opened and then added attractions that would open at least every year as it expanded that land.

For a few hours? Excluding the time waiting in line and riding the attractions? Can you imagine trying to take in the atmosphere in NOS sized alleyways with hoards of people? I think that level of theming is more felt than seen. I just can’t stop and smell the roses when I’m in an ant farm. It’s kind of impossible.

Rich T

WHY do people hate this!?? SWGE is going to be immersive and fun. 👍
It's simply the placement. It's like.. if there was a Tolkien theme park and the suits in charge had bought the rights to Stranger Things and bulldozed half of Lothlorien to build Stranger Things Land. And then the people start saying, "This is going to be so great! I can't wait to go to Tolkien Land to ride Stranger Things!!!!"

That's what it comes down to. The Stranger Things land might be awesome, but it doesn't belong in Tolkien Land.
(EDIT) Even if the same corporation owns the rights to both.

Phroobar

It's simply the placement. It's like.. if there was a Tolkien theme park and the suits in charge had bought the rights to Stranger Things and bulldozed half of Lothlorien to build Stranger Things Land. And then the people start saying, "This is going to be so great! I can't wait to go to Tolkien Land to ride Stranger Things!!!!"

That's what it comes down to. The Stranger Things land might be awesome, but it doesn't belong in Tolkien Land.
Debatable on it's placement. See last 500 pages.

Problem is Disney just takes too long to build things so people's opinions swing like saloon doors. Hesse the wave of hate where there was once excitement. The retread of the same discussion burns people out.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

To be fair, that's not quite an accurate comparison. The better way to say it would be:

It's like.. if there was a Tolkien theme park and the suits in charge had bought the rights to Stranger Things and bulldozed a backstage area and part of a eatery in the Lothlorien area to build Stranger Things Land. And then the people start saying, "This is going to be so great! I can't wait to go to Tolkien Land to ride Stranger Things!!!!"

;):cool::p

Rich T

Debatable on it's placement. See last 500 pages.

The Problem is Disney just takes too long to build things so people's opinions swing like saloon doors. Hesse the wave of hate where there was once excitement. The retread of the same discussion burns people out.
I agree the corporation is doing the smart corporation thing with its shiny new IP. But I think I speak for a lot of the long-time Disney fans here who will never be 100 % okay with such a huge amount of space being taken up by an IP Disney did not create.

Here's the thing, and I'm sticking with the Tolkien comparison: Stranger Things Land goes into Tolkien Land. Both properties in this imaginary parallel are owned by TOLKIEN (a huge media corporation that has grown from the original Tolkien books). Suddenly Tolkien Land is no longer about J.R.R. Tolkien and his creations; now people--especially the younger generations--are increasingly thinking of the name "Tolkien" as representing the corporation and all its acquisitions (lets pretend they also bought "My Little Pony," Chuck E. Cheese, Lego, Betty Crocker and Dark Horse Comics and had future plans to incorporate it all into Tolkien Land...because they can.) And some younger fans of the corporation don't even believe J.R.R. Tolkien was a real person at this point.

It's a unique situation, where a man's name has become more recognized as a corporate hodgepodge. The Walt Disney company is losing its identity and its heritage... and this huge change to DL really irks a lot of us.

Last edited:

Rich T

I'm not sure even that is a fair comparison. Disneyland is not one cohesive theme - it's a melding of a variety of themes. Is there any particular reason that fairy tale fantasy fits but space fantasy doesn't?
But it all came out of the Walt Disney Studio, which, once upon a time, had its own style and its own way of telling stories. Walt Disney set the stage, and for many years, the Imagineers did a great job of keeping things cohesive... even to the point of finding appropriate ways of fitting SW and Indiana Jones in without tipping the balance. Times change--doesn't mean I can't grumble about it. :D

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I agree the corporation is doing the smart corporation thing with its shiny new IP. But I think I speak for a lot of the long-time Disney fans here who will never be 100 % okay with such a huge amount of space being taken up by an IP Disney did not create.

Here's the thing, and I'm sticking with the Tolkien comparison: Stranger Things Land goes into Tolkien Land. Both properties in this imaginary parallel are owned by TOLKIEN (a huge media corporation that has grown from the original Tolkien books). Suddenly Tolkien Land is no longer about J.R.R. Tolkien and his creations; now people--especially the younger generations--are increasingly thinking of the name "Tolkien" as representing the corporation and all its acquisitions (lets pretend they also bought "My Little Pony," Chuck E. Cheese, Lego, Betty Crocker and Dark Horse Comics and had future plans to incorporate it all into Tolkien Land...because they can.) And some younger fans of the corporation don't even believe J.R.R. Tolkien was a real person at this point.

It's a unique situation, where a man's name has become more recognized as a corporate hodgepodge. The Walt Disney company is losing its identity and its heritage... and this huge change to DL really irks a lot of us.
I'm just gonna refer to SWL as Bob Iger Land. That's the only way it will be justified/make sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom