News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

wityblack

A few things of note:
This octagon will have the Tie Fighter above it, the difference in the terrain makes me think there will be effects under it.
Screenshot at Aug 14 17-04-50.png

There's an interesting terrain change between the village and forest.
Screenshot at Aug 14 17-05-14.png

I believe this is where the Resistance X-Wing will go, based on the model.
Screenshot at Aug 14 17-05-38.png

There's an interesting shadow between the large dome and the landing pad.
Screenshot at Aug 14 17-07-09.png

HauntedMansionFLA

A few things of note:
This octagon will have the Tie Fighter above it, the difference in the terrain makes me think there will be effects under it.View attachment 303738
There's an interesting terrain change between the village and forest.View attachment 303739
I believe this is where the Resistance X-Wing will go, based on the model.View attachment 303740
There's an interesting shadow between the large dome and the landing pad.View attachment 303741
Where does the hotel go? Great pictures!!!

Stevek

As I've long suspected (and mentioned), as newer photos come in you can see that the approach paths and entry areas for this land use more land at Disneyland compared to DHS. The central area of the lands look to be identical, but it's the entry areas that differ the most, especially the extra land on the western end from Critter Country to the Battle Escape ride. You can also see how this was obviously designed first for Disneyland, then shoehorned in to DHS at a later date.

That said, the central marketplace area in front of the MF ride looks.... really cramped. Can you imagine the crowds and gridlock this will create next summer? It will make the alleys of New Orleans Square seem like a giant shopping mall by comparison.

https://micechat.com/203028-star-wars-land-update-with-aerial-photos/
EPSG3857_Date20180702_Lat33.814455_Lon-117.921237_Mpp0.075.jpg
That was the first thing I thought...didn’t look like there’s a lot of open space in that area. Maybe that’s the intention though...crowded spaceport.

The Mur

I love that the market place will be "narrow" and winding like NO Square or parts of Animal Kingdom. Will make the area vary interesting.

It does looked cramped from the photos, but some of those areas are much bigger than you think. Looks at some of the vehicles in there.

disneyC97

That's the Fantasmic! boat storage barn that is buried under the berm. It is accessed via the hidden portal behind the waterfall along the railroad trestle before you get to the Indian Village.

Fantasmic boats and barges enter through the A-frame under the trestle, after they turn off the waterfall.
skdjfh031.jpg
The Magic of Disney

nevol

I love that the market place will be "narrow" and winding like NO Square or parts of Animal Kingdom. Will make the area vary interesting.

It does looked cramped from the photos, but some of those areas are much bigger than you think. Looks at some of the vehicles in there.
Agreed. Check the big thunder footprint for comparison. Some of those marketplace buildings are almost as wide as the entire roller coaster's footprint. The millennium falcon area might be cramped regardless. Once you plop the ship in there the paths seem to be the same as all the other paths in the park.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think it’s ‘83’ with wear and tear on the 8. This way it doesn’t come off as an obvious ‘77- -83’ and could be mistaken for 63.

It is indeed 83. There is a thing that covers part of the 8 and 3 which makes the 8 look like a 6. It falls on the empty space of the 3 so, it doesn't affect it. The other thing making the 8 look like a 6 is a smudge in the upper left corner.

1534304787322.png

From this video:

TROR

I know it'll be terrible to walkthrough when it opens, but I absolutely agree. It makes it so much more interesting. I wish Adventureland was bigger so it could have a bazaar area like that. It just fits that intimate feeling of Disneyland, even though I still think the overall scale of the land is wrong.

BrianLo

Original Poster
As I've long suspected (and mentioned), as newer photos come in you can see that the approach paths and entry areas for this land use more land at Disneyland compared to DHS. The central area of the lands look to be identical, but it's the entry areas that differ the most, especially the extra land on the western end from Critter Country to the Battle Escape ride. You can also see how this was obviously designed first for Disneyland, then shoehorned in to DHS at a later date.

That said, the central marketplace area in front of the MF ride looks.... really cramped. Can you imagine the crowds and gridlock this will create next summer? It will make the alleys of New Orleans Square seem like a giant shopping mall by comparison.

https://micechat.com/203028-star-wars-land-update-with-aerial-photos/
EPSG3857_Date20180702_Lat33.814455_Lon-117.921237_Mpp0.075.jpg

Mmm, it’s easy to lose context of proportions from actual humans when it’s so zoomed out!

CE862746-A29C-440F-B270-A243D1C64B16.png
C4E05A59-8D31-4042-9E8D-6DB223FC73F0.png
ED0C3B39-D5FE-41C3-B734-BF71983207B9.png

TP2000

Mmm, it’s easy to lose context of proportions from actual humans when it’s so zoomed out!

View attachment 303782View attachment 303781View attachment 303783

Agreed. We are all trying to extrapolate what this is going to look like as we walk through it. I'm just trying to imagine these amazing satellite images (and by that I mean truly amazing photos taken from space, not the type of amazing the average 25 year old uses who has a stunted vocabulary and proclaims via Instagram their latest avocado toast to be "amazing" :rolleyes:) will look like from eye level as we walk through these alleys and spaces.

There's still a lot of landscaping, props, street furniture, walls, stairs, ramps and building accesories that have not yet been applied. I think this section of the land is going to be a maze of narrow alleys and walkways cluttered with ultra-themeing. It will be great thematically and artistically, but a nightmare when it comes to crowd control for the first 5 years of operation.

Last edited:

britain

Agreed. We are all trying to extrapolate what this is going to look like as we walk through it. I'm just trying to imagine these amazing satellite images (and by that I mean truly amazing photos taken from space, not the type of amazing the average 25 year old uses who has a stunted vocabulary and proclaims via Instagram their latest avocado toast to be "amazing" :rolleyes:) will look like from eye level as we walk through these alleys and spaces.

There's still a lot of landscaping, props, street furniture, walls, stairs, ramps and building accesories that have not yet been applied. I think this section of the land is going to be a maze of narrow alleys and walkways cluttered with ultra-themeing. It will be great thematically and artistically, but a nightmare when it comes to crowd control for the first 5 years of operation.

No kidding. Once you get in, you’re going to want to stay and really make the most of it - how are OPs going to encourage people to leave to make room for more people?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom