News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

brb1006

I noticed. They really need to get rid of that charmless circa 2000 logo for Walt Disney World. Go back to the kitschy and unique 1970's original logo, or at least create something new that doesn't look so blandly corporate.
I thought the modern WDW was made after 1998.

BrianLo

Original Poster
End point since there is no clarification on specific portion of summer is D23. Come hell or high water they are not going to host that conference in Anaheim without being able to gloat about the land.

June/July seems like a reasonable target. They’ll want APs to be relatively blocked for the majority of its opening frame.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Hmmm maybe previews? May 4th is still the middle of Spring. I’d say Memorial Day earliest for the grand opening as it’s the unofficial start to summer.

Summer (non-Disney) starts with the graduation season, and now some colleges start graduation in early May. Which is why you have the parks start to get busy again after the spring holidays in the end of April.

And with May 4th as the unofficial Star Wars holiday you'd think they try and at least have the previews going by then. So if they don't have the grand opening, I'd bet it'd be the start of previews.

FerretAfros

I think the start of summer to Disney is typically around Memorial Day.
One would think so, but that's not how DLR operates. They've often touted things as coming in "spring," and then proceeded to not open them until early/mid-June. The most visible examples I can think of are World of Color, which debuted on June 11, 2010, and the DCA relaunch on June 15, 2012; technically it was still spring, but it sure felt like summer to me.

WDW, on the other hand, tends to follow a more colloquial schedule with "summer" beginning by Memorial Day and continuing through Labor Day. Big additions and promotions typically officially launch in late May, like the opening of Pandora at DAK last Memorial Day or the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train on May 28, 2014, both of which had extensive soft openings before their official openings. This year's Toy Story Land opening on June 30 is very unusual for them, because apparently it's so difficult and time consuming to build unthemed outdoor attractions and a lightly-decorated snack bar.

As much as it wants to be a world-class destination, DLR still thinks like a local's park much of the time. When local schools don't let out until mid/late-June, they don't see the need to expand operating hours and add promotions until then. It's kind of quaint and charming, but also kind of annoying for those of us who aren't bound by the soCal school systems.

Similarly, I would expect there will be another round of extensive AP changes that will be in full effect by the time Star Wars opens next year, which means they'll need to roll out some time this year. Given the lack of rumors at this point, it seems safe to assume that it probably won't open until July at the earliest

Disney Irish

Premium Member
One would think so, but that's not how DLR operates. They've often touted things as coming in "spring," and then proceeded to not open them until early/mid-June. The most visible examples I can think of are World of Color, which debuted on June 11, 2010, and the DCA relaunch on June 15, 2012; technically it was still spring, but it sure felt like summer to me.

WDW, on the other hand, tends to follow a more colloquial schedule with "summer" beginning by Memorial Day and continuing through Labor Day. Big additions and promotions typically officially launch in late May, like the opening of Pandora at DAK last Memorial Day or the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train on May 28, 2014, both of which had extensive soft openings before their official openings. This year's Toy Story Land opening on June 30 is very unusual for them, because apparently it's so difficult and time consuming to build unthemed outdoor attractions and a lightly-decorated snack bar.

As much as it wants to be a world-class destination, DLR still thinks like a local's park much of the time. When local schools don't let out until mid/late-June, they don't see the need to expand operating hours and add promotions until then. It's kind of quaint and charming, but also kind of annoying for those of us who aren't bound by the soCal school systems.

Similarly, I would expect there will be another round of extensive AP changes that will be in full effect by the time Star Wars opens next year, which means they'll need to roll out some time this year. Given the lack of rumors at this point, it seems safe to assume that it probably won't open until July at the earliest

You use those examples as if those were the dates planned for opening, and not because of a schedule slippage. Point of using a vague seasons is for just that very reason, in case of schedule slippage. However that doesn't mean that their "summer" doesn't have a unofficial start. Memorial Day weekend, this weekend, has always been seen as the unofficial start of the DLR summer season. Its when hours start to extend, which they are for the next week. Its when local colleges and high schools have either already had or are starting graduation, for example USC had theirs May 11th.

Also Disney has already indicated an AP change coming prior to SW:GE opening, and stated it was specifically because of the opening.

HauntedMansionFLA

Is DL going to get rid of RoA to expand SW:GE? They didn’t leave anywhere to expand? The river ride is right next to it taking up valuable land. I know the park is small but I hope they keep RoA.

180º

Did anyone notice how much bigger and bolder the Disneyland logo was at the end of the video

:p
Disneyland's is slightly taller. DisneyWorld's is slightly wider. I'm not sure you can say that Disneyland's LOGO is bigger, but it has more girth.
I could barely see the WDW logo behind Muppet Vision 3D. So much for the blessing of size!

Muppet's_Edge.jpg

Old Mouseketeer

I noticed. They really need to get rid of that charmless circa 2000 logo for Walt Disney World. Go back to the kitschy and unique 1970's original logo, or at least create something new that doesn't look so blandly corporate.

It is hard for me to find words to communicate how much I utterly DESPISE the disney script logos for anything other than the WDC and studios. IMHO it started with the late and unlamented EuroDisney logo. But at least at that time all four resorts had their own unique logos. I miss the retro WDW logo. The fact that WDW guest relations and tour guide CMs wear golden pins with the disney script D instead of the retro WDW D is just so sad. Walt must be rolling over in his freezer!

Ismael Flores

Is DL going to get rid of RoA to expand SW:GE? They didn’t leave anywhere to expand? The river ride is right next to it taking up valuable land. I know the park is small but I hope they keep RoA.

I doubt it, they just spent millions building a new Berm with waterfalls, train trellis, new train route all new rockwork and hundreds of new trees. If Star wars was to expand they would probably do it somewhere else. Probably go the universal route and add a different themed land in DCA. They also of course have toontown area, frozen could be moved somewhere else

nevol

I doubt it, they just spent millions building a new Berm with waterfalls, train trellis, new train route all new rockwork and hundreds of new trees. If Star wars was to expand they would probably do it somewhere else. Probably go the universal route and add a different themed land in DCA. They also of course have toontown area, frozen could be moved somewhere else
There is a spot already set aside next to millennium falcon. East of it, west of the access road into fantasyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom