News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Curious Constance

I'm betting Avatarland will be amazing when it's done. I'm HOPING it's not very Avatary, but will have a great atmosphere and vibe to it aside from the movie and characters. I can't imagine why they would have chosen Avatar as an IP. That would probably be my last choice. I bet the second movie won't do anywhere NEAR as well as the first one did. And I would think you'd want to choose an IP that has a lot of base, core fans, and has stood the test of time, like Star Wars. That way you don't have to rely on current popularity since that never lasts long.

Phroobar

I would have enjoyed Beastly Kingdom over Avatarland. I'm sure it will be good looking and people will ride the rides not because they are fans of the movie but because the rides are there. I can't see merchandise moving very well though.

D

Deleted member 107043

I'm sure it will be good looking and people will ride the rides not because they are fans of the movie but because the rides are there.

This can be said of pretty much any well produced IP based ride though Phurby. I couldn't care less about Harry Potter, but I'm almost certain I would enjoy most of WWoHP.

yookeroo

I'm betting Avatarland will be amazing when it's done. I'm HOPING it's not very Avatary, but will have a great atmosphere and vibe to it aside from the movie and characters. I can't imagine why they would have chosen Avatar as an IP.

Ummm... It's box office is significantly higher then even Star Wars. Like, by a third.

That would probably be my last choice. I bet the second movie won't do anywhere NEAR as well as the first one did. And I would think you'd want to choose an IP that has a lot of base, core fans, and has stood the test of time, like Star Wars. That way you don't have to rely on current popularity since that never lasts long.

They're making two Star Wars Lands. One on each coast.

AKL needed something. Especially one that will keep guests at night. Avatar is a pretty good fit for an animal themed park. It did huge box office. Whatever the problems were with the movie, it wasn't in the world building or art direction. That world was beautifully done. The plot was by-the-numbers, but the planet was pretty incredible.

The next movie could not do nearly as well as the first and still do $2 billion.

dweezil78

I remember enjoying Avatar when I saw it -- caught it on big IMAX in 3D the way it was to be seen at the Universal City theater so it was a pretty great in-theater experience. Have had no desire to see it ever since though.

That said, I think the idea of having Pandora at Animal Kingdom is a pretty cool fit and from what I'm seeing so far, it looks extremely ambitious. To me the movie was way more about the setting and message than it was the characters involved, so it works on that level. I actually couldn't even tell you a single character in the movie!

D

Deleted member 107043

I recall enjoying the movie when I saw it. I also remember a lot of people losing their minds over it too.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/avatar.movie.blues/

A franchise with that kind of emotional impact seems like a smart move for Disney to leverage at P&R as it is guaranteed to open up WDW to whole audience segment that it has never seen before. The same goes for SW Land.

Curious Constance

Ummm... It's box office is significantly higher then even Star Wars. Like, by a third.

They're making two Star Wars Lands. One on each coast.

AKL needed something. Especially one that will keep guests at night. Avatar is a pretty good fit for an animal themed park. It did huge box office. Whatever the problems were with the movie, it wasn't in the world building or art direction. That world was beautifully done. The plot was by-the-numbers, but the planet was pretty incredible.

The next movie could not do nearly as well as the first and still do $2 billion.

I know. I just feel like the first movie, everyone wanted to see it less for the actual movie content and more for the visual uniqueness. Didn't that movie pretty much introduce 3D in theaters? It seems like it was more novel at the time, than a good movie.

westie

I was mentioning AL to my daughter, who is 22 now, and she didn't really remember the movie. I know there are 3 more in the works but it seems like the theme park may be irrelevant by the time the movies come back.

Phroobar

You can base a ride on "Bob Iger's day at the beach" and people will come running to ride it. The popularity of the IP just makes the ride even more popular. The ride will still be ridden no matter if its a stinker or not.

Add a magic band to the ride and Bob Iger will say your name as he throws a virtual beach ball over your head.

Curious Constance

You can base a ride on "Bob Iger's day at the beach" and people will come running to ride it. The popularity of the IP just makes the ride even more popular. The ride will still be ridden no matter if its a stinker or not.
Add a magic band to the ride and Bob Iger will say your name as he throws a virtual beach ball over your head.
I agree with this, but I think where it might underperform would be in it's ability to draw big crowds to WDW specifically to see it when it opens. People would hear there is a new Avatarland, and assume, without looking into it much, that they wouldn't be interested since they aren't much interested in Avatar.

D

Deleted member 107043

I agree with this, but I think where it might underperform would be in it's ability to draw big crowds to WDW specifically to see it when it opens.

I agree, except I'd be very surprised if Avatarland under performed. The thing with massive IPs like Harry Potter, Avatar, and Marvel is that they have incredibly strong adult appeal, and they each have dedicated fan bases that might not otherwise visit Disney or Universal theme parks in large numbers. By investing in a monumental Avatar attraction Disney stands to expand its business to a wider audience. Maybe Avatar won't draw every single Harry Potter nut flocking to Universal up the road, but that's kind of the point I think.

Phroobar

Just how many "Avatards" are there in the net? If you get pass the Avatar: The Last Airbender fan sites, you find one site called Avatar Forums, it looks like about ten people that posted last month. The only cool site I found was Learn Na'vi.

D

Deleted member 107043

Just how many "Avatards" are there in the net?

About $2.8 billion worth. Don't forget that's gross revenue from only one film. There's scant (if any) merchandise, theme park tie-ins, TV spinoffs, that they can bank on. Yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phroobar

About $2.8 billion worth. Don't forget that's gross revenue from only one film. There's scant (if any) merchandise, theme park tie-ins, TV spinoffs, that they can bank on. Yet.
It's just Pocahontas in Space. Seven years later that movie would never bring in that kind of money. It was innovative at the time. Now it is been done hundreds of times since. There is not an Avatar fanbase like there is for Star Trek, Marvel or Star Wars to support the merch.

D

Deleted member 107043

There is not an Avatar fanbase like there is for Star Trek, Marvel or Star Wars to support the merch.

That's obviously true, but if you're Disney your primary concerns are expanding your customer base and increasing guest spending at Animal Kingdom, which will undoubtedly happen when Avatarland opens.

Phroobar

That's obviously true, but if you're Disney your primary concerns are expanding your customer base and increasing guest spending at Animal Kingdom, which will undoubtedly happen when Avatarland opens.
They will come for the new rides and environment. Not the IP. It would be equally successful if it wasn't an IP. They will eat in the restaurant but no one is going to buy Na'vi figures. On the other hand, SWL in DHS will kick Avatarland's mechanism sales.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom