News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

No Name

He reads the internet and regurgitates the rumors. In fact he's probably going to see this very comment. So I wouldn't post here saying that "calling his viewers 'Walt-ineers' is terribly cringe-worthy," because he might see that. Instead I would think of some compliments, such as, "the production quality is good," or "his accent is captivating."

Old Mouseketeer

Perfect homage to Star Wars contribution to pop-culture: The Used Future.

And that's how the LA Times review of Episode 4: A New Hope described it. I remember reading a blowup of the review in an outside kiosk on opening night and it was my first indication that this was something extraordinary. I grew up on the pristine "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" of Star Trek, 2001, the Monsanto House of the Future, New York World's Fair, and the 1967 Tomorrowland. The environment of Star Wars was something new to me. It was a landmark night in my life.

TROR

He reads the internet and regurgitates the rumors. In fact he's probably going to see this very comment. So I wouldn't post here saying that "calling his viewers 'Walt-ineers' is terribly cringe-worthy," because he might see that. Instead I would think of some compliments, such as, "the production quality is good," or "his accent is captivating."
Should I then not call him "annoying, irritable, and a phony"?

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I just think of it as a condensed version of here. Not every Disney fan (or anyone that wants to keep up with Disney news and rumors) has time to sit on a fan board like this and read page after page for hours. And in all fairness we do tend to blather on and on over things like whether the DL or WDW version is going to be bigger or which has more entrances. Things like that tend to be boring to those that just want the straight info. And Youtubers like him do that.

vancee

Oops...

mickEblu

I just think of it as a condensed version of here. Not every Disney fan (or anyone that wants to keep up with Disney news and rumors) has time to sit on a fan board like this and read page after page for hours. And in all fairness we do tend to blather on and on over things like whether the DL or WDW version is going to be bigger or which has more entrances. Things like that tend to be boring to those that just want the straight info. And Youtubers like him do that.

Shouldn’t they at least credit the source?

spacemt354

Chili's
It's one thing to condense information you get from here and other places. It's another thing to present your viewers with false or unsubstantiated rumors - and pass them off as statements.

For example - this just isn't true (and never was at the time he posted it).

A casual fan like you said who doesn't have time to read fan boards, might only come across this video with the false heading - and is now misinformed.

He has gotten better with sourcing and giving credit. But I still wish he was more cognizant of his titles and distinctions of "news" , "solid insider rumors" (mostly from this site) and "speculative theories"...it's not that hard to see that distinction is not met in many cases and worded in a clickbaity way.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It's one thing to condense information you get from here and other places. It's another thing to present your viewers with false or unsubstantiated rumors - and pass them off as statements.

For example - this just isn't true (and never was at the time he posted it).

A casual fan like you said who doesn't have time to read fan boards, might only come across this video with the false heading - and is now misinformed.

He has gotten better with sourcing and giving credit. But I still wish he was more cognizant of his titles and distinctions of "news" , "solid insider rumors" (mostly from this site) and "speculative theories"...it's not that hard to see that distinction is not met in many cases and worded in a clickbaity way.

I get what you are saying, but really this is not some big issue.

First, we are not dealing with government secrets here. Its theme park rumors. So getting specifics of rumors incorrect is not a national crisis. Jim Hill has gotten rumors he puts out as incorrect (sometimes lots). But people still reference him as someone who has inside information.

Second, he did reference where the information came from. So its not like he is putting out the information as his own.

Third, rumors are just that, rumors until they are not. So anything put out until its no longer a rumor can be fluid. So maybe at one time things he has said were true, but then they changed. That happens all the time, even here or on MiceChat. All rumors, even reputable ones, should be treated with a grain of salt until publicly announced.

Fourth, who cares if someone who causally watches these videos get misinformed. Again we are not dealing with government secrets here. The world is not going to end if someone has become misinformed about a Disney Parks rumor. Its also not going to affect you one bit

Fifth, he does create new videos when there is updates to his previous videos. The one you referenced I believe had an update video made a month later. The update showed the Disney Parks Blog announcement. Which goes back to my third point. Until its confirmed by Disney things change, and even then it can change.

Sixth, if you don't like it, don't watch it. You can remove it from you feed if you want to see it.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
I get what you are saying, but really this is not some big issue.

First, we are not dealing with government secrets here. Its theme park rumors. So getting specifics of rumors incorrect is not a national crisis. Jim Hill has gotten rumors he puts out as incorrect (sometimes lots). But people still reference him as someone who has inside information.

Second, he did reference where the information came from. So its not like he is putting out the information as his own.

Third, rumors are just that, rumors until they are not. So anything put out until its no longer a rumor can be fluid. So maybe at one time things he has said were true, but then they changed. That happens all the time, even here or on MiceChat. All rumors, even reputable ones, should be treated with a grain of salt until publicly announced.

Fourth, who cares if someone who causally watches these videos get misinformed. Again we are not dealing with government secrets here. The world is not going to end if someone has become misinformed about a Disney Parks rumor. Its also not going to affect you one bit

Fifth, he does create new videos when there is updates to his previous videos. The one you referenced I believe had an update video made a month later. The update showed the Disney Parks Blog announcement. Which goes back to my third point. Until its confirmed by Disney things change, and even then it can change.

Sixth, if you don't like it, don't watch it. You can remove it from you feed if you want to see it.
Gesh. I never said 'the world is going to end' because of it.

It's a bit hypocritical for you to say that he gives his viewers 'straight info' previously
Things like that tend to be boring to those that just want the straight info. And Youtubers like him do that
And then turn around and say 'who cares?' if he misinforms a casual Disney fan.

That's the antithesis of 'straight info.'

brb1006

I remember he actually made a few comments on a couple Disney threads.

brb1006

I’ve heard him talk about wdwmagic when talking about something. He takes rumors and acts if they are true and official, and his comments from the viewers give me a headache. Sadly he pops up on my YouTube recommendations sometimes and I watch them :(:banghead:
When ever I read his comments section, it makes me wish his viewers were more aware of this site. Since Martin is more accurate and trustworthy

alias8703

Should I then not call him "annoying, irritable, and a phony"?

Boy is that kid annoying.

You guys are starting to sound like a bunch of grumpy old men. Shouldn't you know better than to say these kinds of things?
"If you don't have something nice to say..."
Like someone else said, If you don't like it, don't watch it. But some people don't have the time to come to places like this and read through hundreds of pages of middle aged men talking about people and screaming about how horrible Disney is and how they are ruining everything, and are just looking for a 5 minute briefing where everything gets covered without the BS and drama.
It's enjoyable, informative, visual as opposed to written, and again without all the uanessacry extra dealings.

aka this

TP2000

You guys are starting to sound like a bunch of grumpy old men. Shouldn't you know better than to say these kinds of things?
"If you don't have something nice to say..."
Like someone else said, If you don't like it, don't watch it. But some people don't have the time to come to places like this and read through hundreds of pages of middle aged men talking **** about people and screaming about how horrible Disney is and how they are ruining everything, and are just looking for a 5 minute briefing where everything gets covered without the BS and drama.
It's enjoyable, informative, visual as opposed to written, and again without all the uanessacry extra dealings.

I am a grumpy old man, that's been my gig for about 20 years now. And that YouTube kid is still annoying. Although I was tickled to be briefly lumped in with those who are merely "middle aged", so thank you for that. :D

As for the BS and drama, I've been talking online about Disneyland since 1995 on the alt.disney.disneyland Usenet boards via a dial-up 28K and then a hyperfast 56K modem. This concept has always been about BS and drama, which is why it exists and why it is fun. But if you think I am full of BS and drama, you would have absolutely hated Al Lutz.

But the good news for everyone is, to balance out the grumpy old men and the BS and the drama and the annoying YouTube kid who steals online rumors as "Latest Details!", we have our favorite lady blogger. All she does is work quietly to provide fabulous videos from various places around the park to get the very latest on Star Wars construction, set to tastefully selected instrumental music. Perfection!

Here's her latest offering from Toontown taken Friday... Star Wars is definitely having an aesthetic impact on Mickey's little neighborhood on his birthday weekend!

Last edited:

vancee

I am a grumpy old man, that's been my gig for about 20 years now. And that YouTube kid is still annoying. Although I was tickled to be briefly lumped in with those who are merely "middle aged", so thank you for that. :D

As for the BS and drama, I've been talking online about Disneyland since 1995 on the alt.disney.disneyland Usenet boards via a dial-up 28K and then a hyperfast 56K modem. This concept has always been about BS and drama, which is why it exists and why it is fun. But if you think I am full of BS and drama, you would have absolutely hated Al Lutz.

But the good news for everyone is, to balance out the grumpy old men and the BS and the drama and the annoying YouTube kid who steals online rumors as "Latest Details!", we have our favorite lady blogger. All she does is work quietly to provide fabulous videos from various places around the park to get the very latest on Star Wars construction, set to tastefully selected instrumental music. Perfection!

Here's her latest offering from Toontown taken Friday... Star Wars is definitely having an aesthetic impact on Mickey's little neighborhood on his birthday weekend!

I wish there were more old men like you and Bob Chapek... :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Gesh. I never said 'the world is going to end' because of it.

It's a bit hypocritical for you to say that he gives his viewers 'straight info' previously

And then turn around and say 'who cares?' if he misinforms a casual Disney fan.

That's the antithesis of 'straight info.'

I wasn't being hypocritical, you picked out one sentence, out of context, and put your own spin and interpretation on it. Ok, so since you seem to like to take what I say out of context (not the first time) let me make my statement 100% clear.

The straight info that I was referring to is getting right down to the substance of the rumor, this should have been obvious. The causal fan is just looking for a condense version of the rumor mill that goes on a board like this. They don't want to wade through 100s to 1000s of pages of discussion and sometimes diatribe that happens here (such as this one) and on other boards. They just want the rumor, and then move on.

If you have that much of an issue with him (or any other Youtuber) putting out what you call false information. Then why don't you start your own channel and put up your own videos. However better make sure you put out only information which will be proven to be 100% true and accurate. Otherwise you'll have posters on boards like this calling you out on how you are putting out false information.

Now if you don't mind, lets stop derailing this thread.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
I wasn't being hypocritical, you picked out one sentence, out of context, and put your own spin and interpretation on it. Ok, so since you seem to like to take what I say out of context (not the first time) let me make my statement 100% clear.

The straight info that I was referring to is getting right down to the substance of the rumor, this should have been obvious. The causal fan is just looking for a condense version of the rumor mill that goes on a board like this. They don't want to wade through 100s to 1000s of pages of discussion and sometimes diatribe that happens here (such as this one) and on other boards. They just want the rumor, and then move on.

If you have that much of an issue with him (or any other Youtuber) putting out what you call false information. Then why don't you start your own channel and put up your own videos. However better make sure you put out only information which will be proven to be 100% true and accurate. Otherwise you'll have posters on boards like this calling you out on how you are putting out false information.
If you'd like to read more about DSNY reporting false, or unsubstantiated, rumors as statements of fact, and being called out for it, here is a link:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/one-mans-dream-may-be-closing-soon.929102/page-4#post-7827043

He isn't a bad person, and as I said before - he has gotten better with his sourcing/reporting. But if you're going to monetize other people's information for your own personal gain - at least make an effort to distinguish news from rumor. Don't blur the line as has been done on many occasions. Honestly...that's not much to ask.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom