1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Construction/Specifics

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort' started by BrianLo, Feb 28, 2016.

1. SSG

SSG Well-Known Member

OK, after the 10k on Saturday, the finish area being not far from Mickey & Friends, I went over for a look at GE. You can’t really see much detail anymore with the show buildings mostly framed up, but it is jaw-dropping how big this thing is. I mean we all knew it was huge, but honestly, pictures and videos do not convey how enormous this land will be.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  2. Hatbox Ghostbuster

Hatbox Ghostbuster Well-Known Member

The folks at FB (love em or hate em) have a new video showing some preliminary rock mesh going up.
    Skip ahead to 8:34

3. dweezil78

dweezil78 Well-Known Member

What a mesh!

[​IMG]

4. Matheus Ramos

Matheus Ramos New Member

For those who like construction details:

TP2000 and britain like this.
  5. shortstop

shortstop Well-Known Member

I'm sitting here patiently waiting for someone to post relevant screenshots from these videos so that I myself don't have to watch them :p

6. Hatbox Ghostbuster

Screenshots for the....interested ;)
    These photos came from SILA's new video shot through the fence at Big Thunder Trail.
    Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 9.37.02 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 9.37.24 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 9.37.38 AM.png

phruby, croboy82, CHOX and 8 others like this.
  7. Hatbox Ghostbuster

For the non-screenshot enthusiast, here's the full video.

8. Ismael Flores

Ismael Flores Well-Known Member

Wow I wonder if they want to get the upper parts of the rockwork done so that the sitelines are taken care off way before the rest of the land opens in 2019.
    Hopefully we start seeing more and more rock shapes take place to get an idea of how the mountain range will look.

So far the parking structure and all the air equipment on the roofs of the show buildings are quite visible from anywhere within the outer edges of the river

mickEblu and Kiwiduck like this.
  9. shortstop

I'm trying to find pictures of Carsland construction for comparison but I can't find shots of the rockwork in-progress over the RSR show building. But in any case, I'm guessing they need to start from the top down on the rockwork due to the fact that work is still being done on the Falcon show building.

Ismael Flores likes this.
  10. Curious Constance

Curious Constance Well-Known Member

Look here:

https://disneygeek.com/construction/dca_carsland

11. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

They always start from the top and work down through all phases, from the ironworkers all the way through the final painting touch ups. Here's Cars Land in Fall, 2011 about 9 months before opening. The tops of the tailfins are now complete.
    [​IMG]

12. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

As for the view of Mickey & Friends from the river, this entire structure to the south of the Battle ride warehouse has not yet begun construction but will shield that view.
    [​IMG]

shortstop likes this.
  13. shortstop

I'm not surprised that you two came through with those photos! Yes, this is basically what I was hoping to find. And this makes total sense.

Which structure are you referring to? I have a hard time making out individuals structures in photos of this model.

14. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

The sloping hill that begins behind the barrel structure.

shortstop likes this.
  15. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

From the Sunday OC Register comes these photos, taken from the top of Tarzan's Treehouse.

Mickey & Friends is still visible beyond the new berm from this height...
    [​IMG]

And the tallest spires of Star Wars Land, on top of the Millenium Falcon ride warehouse, are also visible from Tarzan's Treehouse...
    [​IMG]

Meanwhile, in Critter Country, the parking structure is still visible over the berm a bit...
    [​IMG]

16. Old Mouseketeer

Old Mouseketeer Well-Known Member

They have to work from the top down because when the top layer is finally painted like the Carsland example, they remove the wood floor and railing from that tier of internally supported scaffolding and, working from the tier below, cut off the horizontal steel "toothpicks" sticking out and patch and paint over them. They repeat this tier-by-tier. I have seen this referred to as toothpick scaffolding or toothpick construction.

This method is far more efficient for an irregular type of facade like the rockwork of Carsland and SWGE. Conventional scaffolding would slow things down because it would require a very large level or semi-level footprint on the ground preventing the development of that base level of build-out and decoration, as well as horizontal anchor points all the way up the facade, almost as numerous as the toothpicks themselves. Contrast this with the relative ease with which they built the vertical rented scaffolding up the facade of Tower/Guardians.

17. Practical Pig

Practical Pig Well-Known Member

Very interesting. When looking at various rockwork construction photos I've noted that the scaffolding wasn't the traditional model, but hadn't sussed out what the actual engineering was. Thanks for that.

Old Mouseketeer and alias8703 like this.
  18. Old Mouseketeer

It was exactly the same for me. But as I saw the progression at Carsland and someone on one of the Disney Fan boards ID'd it as toothpick construction, it all clicked and I could infer the various benefits from a lay perspective. Perhaps some of our more knowledgeable contributors can enlighten us further.

Practical Pig and alias8703 like this.
  19. alias8703

alias8703 Active Member

Yes I believe Joe Rhode and the Imagineers invented this type of scaffolding construction when creating Everest! I watched a making of Everest recently and they discussed this exactly! Way easier for them then setting up regular scaffolding!

20. Old Mouseketeer

Very interesting! A cursory google search yielded nothing close to this. Perhaps our members familiar with Disney's patent applications might know something. In the meantime, I did find this on Wikipedia:

"The expeditions and the making of the attraction were chronicled in three documentaries broadcast on Discovery's cable television channels in April 2006.[8] The first was Expedition Everest: Journey to Sacred Lands, broadcast on the Travel Channel on April 9 to coincide with the attraction's grand opening.[8] The second, Building A Thrill Ride: Expedition Everest, was aired on April 10[8] and detailed the planning and construction of the ride, along with some of the ideas that made it possible. (During construction, for example, instead of traditional scaffolding the Imagineers used interior poles that poked through the outside of the mountain and were connected by wooden platforms.)[4]"

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Practical Pig and alias8703 like this.