News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

sedati

The Galaxy’s Edge art book has several additional concepts that may shed some light on the transports. One shows the round escape pod looking shuttle we’ve seen in the officially released concepts. But it’s shown with the trust fins rotated down into a landing position and sitting on the ground.

The other shot shows a completely new transport. That one looks like it could be a bus or tram dressed up to appear as a luxury landspeeder from the exterior. It appears to roughly match up with one of the interior concepts of what looks like a bus.

Neither concept is shown docked on the ground. They are both on open air landing pads. Both are identified as “shuttlecraft” too, so take those concepts with a grain of salt.
My understanding is there are two very different designs depending on where you're going. The pods:
1632157063895.png

Take you from Earth to the Halcyon. This one is definite as they appear on the updated maps that show the hotel.

1632157218175.png

This may be what the "bus" shuttle looks like, or may simply be an unused concept for what will take us from the Halcyon to Batuu.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The Galaxy’s Edge art book has several additional concepts that may shed some light on the transports. One shows the round escape pod looking shuttle we’ve seen in the officially released concepts. But it’s shown with the trust fins rotated down into a landing position and sitting on the ground.

The other shot shows a completely new transport. That one looks like it could be a bus or tram dressed up to appear as a luxury landspeeder from the exterior. It appears to roughly match up with one of the interior concepts of what looks like a bus.

Neither concept is shown docked on the ground. They are both on open air landing pads. Both are identified as “shuttlecraft” too, so take those concepts with a grain of salt.

Open air landing pads would be consistent with the Star Wars universe, this is how we see ships land all the time in the movies, but obviously has practical problems in real life.

mmascari

Open air landing pads would be consistent with the Star Wars universe, this is how we see ships land all the time in the movies, but obviously has practical problems in real life.
They could fake it.

It's like a movie or a theme park where what you see and what it really is aren't the same thing. ;)

Clearly, in reality, we're going to have an enclosed boarding tunnel type thing. But, that reality and what we see don't have to agree.

They could have a ship exterior that we see, through a window from the Star Cruiser, enter using a boarding tunnel, move towards the interior of the ship, and a door closes between the interior compartment and the boarding tunnel. The "ship" we're boarding could look much larger than a bus.

Then, when landed on the ground, you exit the interior of the ship through the same boarding tunnel and come out the side into open air. Turn around and you see the ship.

In reality, the boarding tunnel and everything outside of the door to the interior compartment isn't really part of the transport. One at each side that look the same. Exterior of the ship at each side that look the same. False fronts, just like all the other buildings. So, if you chalk a mark in the loading tunnel outside the interior door, it's not going to still be there when you land and exit through the "same" tunnel. Breaking the illusion for everyone.

Or, they could do a boarding tunnel that's like an airport jetway, never outside.

Eh, whichever they do, I'm sure you'll never see the outside of the bus. :)

Last edited:

sedati

They could fake it.

It's like a movie or a theme park where what you see and what it really is aren't the same thing. ;)

Clearly, in reality, we're going to have an enclosed boarding tunnel type thing. But, that reality and what we see don't have to agree.

They could have a ship exterior that we see, through a window from the Star Cruiser, enter using a boarding tunnel, move towards the interior of the ship, and a door closes between the interior compartment and the boarding tunnel. The "ship" we're boarding could look much larger than a bus.

Then, when landed on the ground, you exit the interior of the ship through the same boarding tunnel and come out the side into open air. Turn around and you see the ship.

In reality, the boarding tunnel and everything outside of the door to the interior compartment isn't really part of the transport. One at each side that look the same. Exterior of the ship at each side that look the same. False fronts, just like all the other buildings. So, if you chalk a mark in the loading tunnel outside the interior door, it's not going to still be there when you land and exit through the "same" tunnel. Breaking the illusion for everyone.

Or, they could do a boarding tunnel that's like an airport jetway, never outside.

Eh, whichever they do, I'm sure you'll never see the outside of the bus. :)
This is what I described pages back- having the bus align with a facade that looks like the shuttle. The very same thing that is done on Rise.
Just have to patiently wait for Bioreconstruct to bless us with more aerials, and I think this will become clear soon.

keyframe

My understanding is there are two very different designs depending on where you're going. The pods:
Take you from Earth to the Halcyon. This one is definite as they appear on the updated maps that show the hotel.

This may be what the "bus" shuttle looks like, or may simply be an unused concept for what will take us from the Halcyon to Batuu.
That first image also appears in the book exactly as pictured shown docking to the Halcyon. Right below it in the book is the another view of that same shuttle with the thrust fins in the landing position. The thrust fins are also visible in the docking concept, but they are in the horizontal flight position.

The second image of the hexagonal shaped craft doesn’t appear in the book for the Halcyon. I wonder if it’s an earlier iteration of the docking shuttle concept. The other transport that appears in the book is a new design that definitely looks more like a landspeeder. I haven’t seen it released in any of the official art outside of the book yet. Either way, it does appear like they are planning for two distinct modes of transportation.

sedati

That first image also appears in the book exactly as pictured shown docking to the Halcyon. Right below it in the book is the another view of that same shuttle with the thrust fins in the landing position. The thrust fins are also visible in the docking concept, but they are in the horizontal flight position.

The second image of the hexagonal shaped craft doesn’t appear in the book for the Halcyon. I wonder if it’s an earlier iteration of the docking shuttle concept. The other transport that appears in the book is a new design that definitely looks more like a landspeeder. I haven’t seen it released in any of the official art outside of the book yet. Either way, it does appear like they are planning for two distinct modes of transportation.
1632189934365.png

We speculated here about those engines rotating, but I don't recall any pics released. But that is most definitely the craft that takes us from Earth. My understanding is that this craft is part of the Chandrila Star Line, whereas our transport to Batuu is actually a Batuu craft. It is that craft that will have a female R3X pilot.

Ayla

I haven't read every post in this thread, so I apologize if this was already discussed, but instead of using buses for transport, why couldn't they have constructed something similar to the Skyliner with larger pods to fit more people, like a tram system? It wouldn't have to be as high as the Skyliner, but would still give that feeling of flying vs being driven in a vehicle. 🤷‍♀️

JoeCamel

I haven't read every post in this thread, so I apologize if this was already discussed, but instead of using buses for transport, why couldn't they have constructed something similar to the Skyliner with larger pods to fit more people, like a tram system? It wouldn't have to be as high as the Skyliner, but would still give that feeling of flying vs being driven in a vehicle. 🤷‍♀️
Just put Kuka bots on a wire track. They could make you feel lots of things and if you had screens inside it would be an attraction to it's own.

The answer to this is as with most things it costs bucks, bus is cheap

corran horn

My assumption is the level of power+tech needed to provide immersion would've precluded something like a skyway/skyliner. It's also not enough of a distance to make those viable I'd say.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Man if they just go with the box in a bus with sound effects and virtual windows... that is gonna be such a missed opportunity and let down. I'm not gonna spend $6k for the Space2020 level experience.

SteveAZee

My assumption is the level of power+tech needed to provide immersion would've precluded something like a skyway/skyliner. It's also not enough of a distance to make those viable I'd say.
Also, a skyliner is best suited to a constant flow of traffic of decent volume. Given the size of the hotel (excuse me, the starcruiser) there's not going to be a whole lot of traffic, or they scale a skyliner down so much that the wait time would be pretty long. A themed shell of a 'craft' inside a bus/RV/whatever makes the most sense.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Man if they just go with the box in a bus with sound effects and virtual windows... that is gonna be such a missed opportunity and let down. I'm not gonna spend $6k for the Space2020 level experience.
I would have preferred if the experience didn't include Galaxy's Edge at all, to be honest. It's going to break the immersion pretty quick when you can walk 50 feet North and run into Slinky Dog Dash.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom