News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

spresso81

I just told my wife that when we next go to HS this fall we will buy a lightsaber at Savi's and save the $5-$8k on the Star Wars Hotel but instead use these funds to get an overwater bungalow in Bora Bora like we splurged on our honeymoon and after we close the lights my wife can attack us with the lightsaber to re-enact the Star Wars agenda.

Also, no need to worry about the MIA Star Wars pool for our kids.

Epct82

The starcruiser is basically that, its a cruise ship. Can you walk onto the Disney Dream and just have a look round the atrium? No only those booked for the cruise can board and this is operating in broadly the same way. Its got way more in common to Disney Cruise Line than it has to the WDW resorts.
Yeah that went over my head on first reading of the details.

Epct82

Remember The Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas?

That only lasted 10 years or so...
If Disney were smart, they'd start production on Star Wars Eps 10, 11, 12, very soon, and start planning ways to implement those characters and stories into this resort by 2025 or 2026, just in case interest in this premiere version begins to dwindle in few short years. I can see this being a once in a lifetime splurge experience for some with wallets deep enough, but not a repeat experience unless drastic changes are made to encourage repeat spending at such quantity.

Cesar R M

Do people really care about a pool that much?

This thing costs $115 an hour. Do I really want to spend time swimming?

I feel like if I did this I'd be constantly thinking of the cost. Take a nap? $115 used! Go to the bathroom? $10 used!

There was talk about whether or not someone could go back to their car for something. Of course you can, but it will cost you $57.50 of your Starcruiser time!
Imagine setting up an app for that. Detects your location with perfection and shows the total cost in real time XD

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I’m seeing some pushback around regarding the loss of shipboard time Batuu impacts on the schedule. As it is presented, Batuu is a central part of the ‘experience’…

… however it’s also likely something that the core target guest here has already been and done. Why waste ship time diverting to the same rides that have been open for two years and eating some quick serve? Is there any indication beyond the ‘insert random story moment’ that there will be any modifications made to the show at Rise or SR? It would have been a great opportunity to make an ‘exclusive’ out of one of the lost alternate missions on the Falcon.

So you’ve already done GE, and it doesn’t feel like a good use of time re-riding Star Tours the 40th time… you think ‘maybe I’ll stay on the ship and have the bridge to myself to play while everyone else is ashore…’ that makes sense, right? Any chance that’s an option? Or is it ‘everyone’s gotta go ashore, the show up here is dark for the morning and we didn’t pay to staff the dining room for lunch’. ?
Even regularly vacationing families have been known to miss the 'lottery' for RotR. This gives a guaranteed ride.

Also, you'll be going on RotR and SR most likely with other guests of the hotel who are decked out in their costumes and share the common experience for a larger group party atmosphere. Also, the story lines of the hotel are made to match up with the rides and there's supposed to be a special event at Batuu for the hotel guests.

But certainly, at $100 a ticket per person... Batuu is fully explorable on its own and much cheaper outside the Halcyon experience. We'll see how the hotel can make Batuu an even more immersive experience by linking it to the starcruiser experience and avoiding the "it's just a theme park" trappings that come from entering Batuu from Grand Ave. or Toy Story Land.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Maybe 10 boarding groups a day... if they run the Galactic Starcruiser Special during normal park hours.
Let's say there's an average of 3 people per room. That's 300 people.

BGs at WDW's RotR is 100 people per BG. So, the Halcyon guests will only take up 3 BGs.

MrPromey

It might have, if Paramount and the Hilton had collaborated on a small segment of rooms tied exclusively to the experience. And I know folks who took advantage of some of the upsells associated with the Experience, so that's not necessarily a new concept...

You made me look this one up because I could have sworn it had been there longer (like since the early 90s)!

Just the same, 10 years for an attraction in Vegas, similar to human flesh exposed to the dry heat, cigarette smoke, and booze out there non-stop for the same period, is easily like 40 in regular human years so... Yeah, I know, I'm still wrong. 😔

Really, though, both the original Klingon Encounter and the Borg Experience felt kind of like what Disney was trying to sort of model Rise off of in terms of it being multi-stage experience instead of just a single ride-type thing.

Back when I did it many moons ago, I remember thinking it was something that would never work in a regular theme park due to the low-capacity design and I wondered how it ended up out there because Vegas always felt like an odd choice... which I guess it did turn out to be...

I think it would have done better as a standalone Orlando area thing, personally.

Still, that first time you got beamed up when you had no idea what was coming was magic.

Last edited:

LovePop

I am looking at the daily schedule where on Day 2, you are to go to Galaxy's Edge from 8 am to 12 pm, so all morning. I just got to thinking, if I were to stay there for 3K/night, I will refuse to go to GE and stay in the hotel and look out the window and stare at the universe, or hang out at the alien lobby and play SW with family. That's what I'm paying for, isn't it? I mean, you can go to GE any time, and even riding RotR isn't that special, it's not worth 3K per day. Anybody who's going to do this must have been on RotR many times already. But being in that space hotel, in your space room, is something that isn't going to happen every day, not even if you can afford to go all the time: it might be difficult to book when there are so few rooms.

I'm just saying, for 3K/night, I would so staying in the hotel from the earliest checkin second to the latest checkout second, and nobody is making me budge.

MrPromey

For anyone who sees me on here, that I'm a fan of the asterisk will come as no shock but I really think when the dad in this video says in a dramatic tone during the opening "For the first time... it's real!" and his eyes go all crazy while he's having a metal break from reality, they need to have in fine disclaimer-sized print at the bottom, "It's not real".

You know, for the same crowd they need to tell in the FAQ that you will not actually be going to space while doing this. ;)

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I am looking at the daily schedule where on Day 2, you are to go to Galaxy's Edge from 8 am to 12 pm, so all morning. I just got to thinking, if I were to stay there for 3K/night, I will refuse to go to GE and stay in the hotel and look out the window and stare at the universe, or hang out at the alien lobby and play SW with family. That's what I'm paying for, isn't it? I mean, you can go to GE any time, and even riding RotR isn't that special, it's not worth 3K per day. Anybody who's going to do this must have been on RotR many times already. But being in that space hotel, in your space room, is something that isn't going to happen every day, not even if you can afford to go all the time: it might be difficult to book when there are so few rooms.

I'm just saying, for 3K/night, I would so staying in the hotel from the earliest checkin second to the latest checkout second, and nobody is making me budge.

The pitch has always been that your experience will carry over from Starcruiser to Batuu... so imagine story elements being linked, or disney play app stuff happening between the two, etc. Maybe you get special character/interactive things happening. It should be more than just the same experience any day guest at DHS gets.

But you should be able to pass on the excursion too...

MrPromey

Any many of those people would've been in a RotR BG anyway most likely.

Before you, after you or fighting with you to get the boarding pass, sure...

Or they'd just go for the VIP tour.

More so than the exclusive starcruiser experiences, this would tick me off if I'm paying to get into the park to do this attraction and can't and part of the reason is because they didn't build it without enough capacity from the start but were then pre-selling seats on it for people who don't have to play the day-of lottery like everyone else.

I mean, if it were like FOP and it was either waiting in the 3-5 hour line to eventually get on it or one of these people from the starcruiser that would be one thing* but showing up at opening and potentially getting no chance to ride at all while other people are ushered on with a guaranteed seat would tick me off a little - maybe not so much in DL where your consolation is still the most complete Disney park in the world but in HS, yeah.

Then again, I imagine guest relations in Hollywood Studios probably has a shortcut key for comping add-on hopper status to single-part tickets used there by now...

*that still isn't going to make anyone happy but it at least feels a little more fair.

Last edited:

corran horn

You made me look this one up because I could have sworn it had been there longer (like since the early 90s)!

Just the same, 10 years for an attraction in Vegas, similar to human flesh exposed to the dry heat, cigarette smoke, and booze out there non-stop for the same period, is easily like 40 in regular human years so... Yeah, I know, I'm still wrong. 😔

Really, though, both the original Klingon Encounter and the Borg Experience felt kind of like what Disney was trying to sort of model Rise off of in terms of it being multi-stage experience instead of just a single ride-type thing.

Back when I did it many moons ago, I remember thinking it was something that would never work in a regular theme park due to the low-capacity design and I wondered how it ended up out there because Vegas always felt like an odd choice... which I guess it did turn out to be...

I think it would have done better as a standalone Orlando area thing, personally.

Still, that first time you got beamed up when you had no idea what was coming was magic.
The whole thing was pretty great. And it does remind me of RotR to be honest. Great connection I hadn't thought of.

I had my pic taken on the bridge in the captain's chair (and later in a Borg regeneration chamber) and now reading this thread all I can think about is how people who didn't do that were saying on some message board how I could've instead used that money for my kids' future college fund.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

I worked for a guy who put his whole family through the "Be A Klingon Commander" movie clip experience. Of course, he brought the video in and showed us.

His Klingon was terrible... so bad, they took one of his speech takes and re-used it throughout the video. Which only added to the hilarity, of course!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom