News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Mr. Moderate

One of the only questions I still have left is, how long is this VIP experience really going to be viable for? Meaning eventually Star Wars will fade away again just as it did in The mid 80s after the original three movies were done and gone. As a diehard Star Wars fan in 1977, I remember a long period of time in the 1980s and early 90s that Star Wars really wasn’t talked about. Sure there were books and other things but it wasn’t until 1999 that the prequel‘s came out and of course those were a mixed bag as well. Disney and JJ Abrams wreath a lot more life into the franchise and of course Disney has spent major dollars in building this new land in HS and in Disneyland.

Trends and fads come and go and I could possibly see this VIP resort experience in 10 years being closed or something totally different. Especially with the ever rising costs to go to Disney, is doing this experience for possibly a few thousand dollars a night really gonna be worth it? All things fade in time as history shows. Not trying to start an argument or crap on this new VIP experience, but just throwing some ideas out there and seeing what your take on it is.

JoeCamel

One of the only questions I still have left is, how long is this VIP experience really going to be viable for? Meaning eventually Star Wars will fade away again just as it did in The mid 80s after the original three movies were done and gone. As a diehard Star Wars fan in 1977, I remember a long period of time in the 1980s and early 90s that Star Wars really wasn’t talked about. Sure there were books and other things but it wasn’t until 1999 that the prequel‘s came out and of course those were a mixed bag as well. Disney and JJ Abrams wreath a lot more life into the franchise and of course Disney has spent major dollars in building this new land in HS and in Disneyland.

Trends and fads come and go and I could possibly see this VIP resort experience in 10 years being closed or something totally different. Especially with the ever rising costs to go to Disney, is doing this experience for possibly a few thousand dollars a night really gonna be worth it? All things fade in time as history shows. Not trying to start an argument or crap on this new VIP experience, but just throwing some ideas out there and seeing what your take on it is.
They own the IP, they will keep it relevant for as long as they can. We are up to 6B? and counting they spent on this IP so far?

Mr. Moderate

They own the IP, they will keep it relevant for as long as they can. We are up to 6B? and counting they spent on this IP so far?
I’m thinking more into the future like 15 to 20 years from now. I’m sure they’ve gotten their money back or close to it by now. Anyway look how many different trends, different sponsors, companies, etc have come and gone at Disneyland and Disney World over the past 50+ years? I’m not saying it’s gonna fail I was just kind of throwing that out there how long do you think that VIP experience/resort will last?

UNCgolf

I’m thinking more into the future like 15 to 20 years from now. I’m sure they’ve gotten their money back or close to it by now. Anyway look how many different trends, different sponsors, companies, etc have come and gone at Disneyland and Disney World over the past 50+ years? I’m not saying it’s gonna fail I was just kind of throwing that out there how long do you think that VIP experience/resort will last?

I've had similar thoughts as well and mentioned them here. I don't see it working long-term unless they're willing to make somewhat regular investments to change the overall experience and give people a reason to return.

But considering how expensive it will likely be, they can probably turn a profit on it pretty quickly. If it churns along with full or mostly full occupancy for 10 years, I think Disney will be very happy with the investment even if they have to shut it down at that point. Not that I think they will.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member

The star wars dark period was largely due to no new content except for books/comics. There were no new movies, no new shows, etc.

That's not the situation now. The property is actively being promoted and grown, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

Mr. Moderate

Yeah, there are currently 12 new Star Wars series and movies in the pipeline.
As a former diehard SW fan from when the original came out in 1977, I was 10 at the time, I don't know to be happy or sad at the information you posted above. 😆

I really didn't care for the new movies or the prequels, but really have enjoyed The Mandalorian and found it far more enjoyable than anything Disney has came out with lately.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yeah, there are currently 12 new Star Wars series and movies in the pipeline.
  1. Bad Batch
  2. Book of Boba Fett
  3. Visions
  4. Andor
  5. Rogue Squadron film
  6. Ahsoka
  7. Rangers of the New Republic
  8. Obi-Wan Kenobi
  9. Lando
  10. The Acolyte
  11. A Droid Story
  12. Taika Waititi's film
  13. Kevin Feige's film
  14. Rian Johnson Trilogy

Not to mention Mando season 3.

;)

I'm sure there are others waiting in the wings. There's rumor of an Old Republic film. I'm sure Disney eventually wants Star Wars content pumped out at the same rate as Marvel content (which has over 20 projects announced so far).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
As a former diehard SW fan from when the original came out in 1977, I was 10 at the time, I don't know to be happy or sad at the information you posted above. 😆

I really didn't care for the new movies or the prequels, but really have enjoyed The Mandalorian and found it far more enjoyable than anything Disney has came out with lately.

The Mandalorian has given me cause for hope.

FigmentFan82

Do you think this hotel will cause claustrophobia in guests? As much as I love this idea, I worry that I will feel like a trapped rat for 2 days.
No. The rooms look very similar in size to a cruise ship room, and people love going on cruises. You are not in your room all the time so the issue is a non-starter. Disney is going to explain exactly what this experience is before you book. Anyone who isn't properly informed is doing so on purpose and is being willfully ignorant. There are going to be plenty of people that can't wait to sign up for this experience. If you don't think it's for you then don't sign up.

FigmentFan82

1. Bad Batch
  2. Book of Boba Fett
  3. Visions
  4. Andor
  5. Rogue Squadron film
  6. Ahsoka
  7. Rangers of the New Republic
  8. Obi-Wan Kenobi
  9. Lando
  10. The Acolyte
  11. A Droid Story
  12. Taika Waititi's film
  13. Kevin Feige's film
  14. Rian Johnson Trilogy

Not to mention Mando season 3.

;)

I'm sure there are others waiting in the wings. There's rumor of an Old Republic film. I'm sure Disney eventually wants Star Wars content pumped out at the same rate as Marvel content (which has over 20 projects announced so far).
I don't see Rian Johnson trilogy happening

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

CosmicRays

No. The rooms look very similar in size to a cruise ship room, and people love going on cruises. You are not in your room all the time so the issue is a non-starter. Disney is going to explain exactly what this experience is before you book. Anyone who isn't properly informed is doing so on purpose and is being willfully ignorant. There are going to be plenty of people that can't wait to sign up for this experience. If you don't think it's for you then don't sign up.
I wasn't trying to be negative or ignorant. Just thoughts I was having since the idea of the experience is to stay inside the hotel and not to go out into the "real world".

FigmentFan82

Well, it not like he's persona non grata at LucasFilm...

My opinion has less to do with Johnson and his excellent directing abilities (no sarcasm, he's a great director) and more to do with Lucasfilm's change in strategy. The success of Mando emboldened them to lean into tv series as the main source of SW content over the next few years, with a couple movie announcements that will act as more "dipping their toe" back into SW on the big screen. When the Johnson trilogy was announced it seemed they had every intention of continuing SW as film series' (the GoT showrunners briely had a series of SW films too), however, the Skywalker saga concluded with a dull thud and Lucasfilm got cold feet. Feige has stated his SW is not happening anytime soon, and Taika has a very full plate at the moment too. The only SW film that has any firm info on it is Rogue Squadron directed by Patty Jenkins which seems to be just a one off film (though if wildly successful could spawn sequels) So that's why I don't think a Rian Johnson trilogy is happening

FigmentFan82

I wasn't trying to be negative or ignorant. Just thoughts I was having since the idea of the experience is to stay inside the hotel and not to go out into the "real world".
I was being more blunt and to the point in my opinion more in general, not necessarily at you or your thoughts. Fear not though since a key component of the experience will be the private shuttle to Galaxy's Edge so there should be plenty of "outside time"

CosmicRays

I was being more blunt and to the point in my opinion more in general, not necessarily at you or your thoughts. Fear not though since a key component of the experience will be the private shuttle to Galaxy's Edge so there should be plenty of "outside time"
That is the part that excites me the most. I love Galaxy's Edge so to travel there from a spaceship sounds pretty awesome.

mergatroid

The fact they're building an experience over 40 years from the date Star Wars originated probably answers the question. With new movies to still come out in the future they're probably assuming that interest in the franchise will continue beyond the next 10 years.

Last edited:

Old Mouseketeer

My issue with show / attraction / role playing game / experience framing is the length of experience. None of those things (including escape rolmsast more than a few hours, or involve sleeping on the set.

‘Cruise’ remains the best analogy, and one that people can probably identify with from an experience standpoint - but it seems there’s going to still be a difference of expectation between this and a ‘normal’ cruise experience, since on normal cruises you don’t hang out on the bridge and get boarded by invaders. How scripted and ‘on rails’ the whole 2 days is may matter greatly to guests. Control it too tightly and you get pushback, keep is loose and people are board and complain there’s not enough to do.

How long before they start marketing a mystery Halloween cruise?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom