News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

_caleb

Uhhh they call all the hotels resorts though...unless your going to try and tell me pop isnt a motel with a fancy pool?
Sorry- I’m not sure I understand what you mean.

Yes, it is confusing that Disney refers to hotels AND their theme parks AND now this new Star Wars thing as “resorts.” But from what I’ve seen, they’ve always tried to describe the Starcruiser as an “experience.”

techgeek

Yes, it is confusing that Disney refers to hotels AND their theme parks AND now this new Star Wars thing as “resorts.” But from what I’ve seen, they’ve always tried to describe the Starcruiser as an “experience.”

They can use whatever marketing verbiage they want... the headlines, tweets, and general public perception will always be "Disney is opening a Star Wars hotel."

That's what they will always be fighting an uphill battle against, even if they never ever use the word 'hotel'... What the words 'Star Wars hotel' mean to most people, and how that expectation differs from what they plan to offer. It would be easier if there was an actual 4th wall breaking 'Star Wars hotel' resort to stay in, in addition to the 'experience' the Starcrusier is intended to be.

UNCgolf

So, this thread has come back to: There will be no one going!

Already brought up and addressed...

Just look as SW conventions. Enough dress-up fans to fill the SW resort for years.

Not sure all of them can afford to pay $3k+ for it, if that's the actual price (again, who knows -- I doubt it's actually been decided yet).

Regardless, that's kind of the point. I don't think it will have any trouble the first few years unless the economy is really a disaster, and then Disney will probably have larger problems. The issue is how it looks 5-10 years from now; if there are still enough new people interested in going if it's not a significantly altered/updated experience.

Last edited:

_caleb

They can use whatever marketing verbiage they want... the headlines, tweets, and general public perception will always be "Disney is opening a Star Wars hotel."

That's what they will always be fighting an uphill battle against, even if they never ever use the word 'hotel'... What the words 'Star Wars hotel' mean to most people, and how that expectation differs from what they plan to offer. It would be easier if there was an actual 4th wall breaking 'Star Wars hotel' resort to stay in, in addition to the 'experience' the Starcrusier is intended to be.
But doesn’t this happen a lot? Disney announces they’re building a new thing, fans theories and rumors spread bad information about that thing, and Disney then has to correct public perception about that thing. Seems like that happens all the time, and they usually get it sorted out.

And I’m not sure how a Star Wars hotel would help- maybe just by providing a contrast? But then wouldn’t you have people showing up to the Star Wars All Star Resort or whatever thinking it was the Galactic Starcruiser?

_caleb

Not sure all of them can afford to pay $3k+ for it.

Regardless, that's kind of the point. I don't think it will have any trouble the first few years unless the economy is really a disaster, and then Disney will probably have larger problems. The issue is how it looks 5-10 years from now; if there are still enough new people interested in going if it's not a significantly altered/updated experience.
See, I think the Halcyon would be very easy to update/change. Keeping in mind my previous acknowledgment that Disney does not have a great track record in doing this, the story of the Starcruiser (as far as we know) is that it’s a cruise. The windows are video screens; easy to add new animations. There’s a cantina-like bar/restaurant; easy to change up the menu with weird new dishes. There’s a role-playing storyline; easy to add new situations/characters/drama. Whenever new Star Wars movies/series are released, they could add in mention of new places. Because the actual building is just a spaceship, the story is flexible. I don’t know, maybe kind of like one of the higher-quality escape rooms, where they change things up to keep people coming back?

UNCgolf

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney eventually rethemes part of one of the existing resorts to Star Wars. Maybe we will see Star Wars rooms at the Contemporary -- it's the only place they'd really fit. I guess they could go into the Riviera too since it doesn't really have a theme.

I think they would wait until the Starcruiser has been open for a few years, though.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

But doesn’t this happen a lot? Disney announces they’re building a new thing, fans theories and rumors spread bad information about that thing, and Disney then has to correct public perception about that thing. Seems like that happens all the time, and they usually get it sorted out.

And I’m not sure how a Star Wars hotel would help- maybe just by providing a contrast? But then wouldn’t you have people showing up to the Star Wars All Star Resort or whatever thinking it was the Galactic Starcruiser?
That is why you don't build the starcruiser just a really good themed Star Wars Hotel.

UNCgolf

See, I think the Halcyon would be very easy to update/change. Keeping in mind my previous acknowledgment that Disney does not have a great track record in doing this, the story of the Starcruiser (as far as we know) is that it’s a cruise. The windows are video screens; easy to add new animations. There’s a cantina-like bar/restaurant; easy to change up the menu with weird new dishes. There’s a role-playing storyline; easy to add new situations/characters/drama. Whenever new Star Wars movies/series are released, they could add in mention of new places. Because the actual building is just a spaceship, the story is flexible. I don’t know, maybe kind of like one of the higher-quality escape rooms, where they change things up to keep people coming back?

Oh I agree they easily do things like changing the menu. I'm not sure that would be enough to attract people back, though -- I think the cruise would need a whole new storyline with new set pieces. Obviously we don't know exactly what's going to happen yet, but if the Kylo Ren attack/seizure is part of the experience, I think that entire thing would need to be redone. And if they want to shift the time line, they have to train all the cast members in their new roles/backstories.

It's certainly not impossible to do, but as you mentioned, Disney doesn't have a great track record of following through on things like that. They're still running 30 year old shows in Hollywood Studios (or were pre-COVID). And although it wouldn't be some overwhelming cost, it wouldn't be as simple/cheap as a quick overlay either.

It'll really just depend on what exactly happens in the storyline. If there are several major set pieces like the aforementioned Kylo Ren thing, it will be harder/more expensive to change.

_caleb

Sir_Cliff

Not sure all of them can afford to pay $3k+ for it, if that's the actual price (again, who knows -- I doubt it's actually been decided yet).

Yes, I'm more curious than negative about how or if this concept will work. I'm a little skeptical of the argument that Star Wars fans will still flock in droves to any kind of Star Wars experience, so suggestions it is an obvious slam dunk seem a bit optimistic to me. It will presumably depend on whether it's appealing enough to those who can afford it and whether the overlap between Star Wars fans who want to spend several days role playing and those with the cash is big enough to keep it going 365 days a year for many years into the future. Also, I guess, how well they actually execute the concept.

We shall see!

mhaftman7

With the rumors of GE getting Mandalorian additions, and be would think that the timeline for the Halcyon would be set similarly. Where the Empire is trying to hold on before all the sanctions limited their hold to the Outer Rim. Or at the very beginning of the First Order, similar to Resistance, where they were a very real threat but were also thought of as only a rumor.

We will have to wait and see.

Movielover

Disney fans may not be keen but wait for it to be a success and Disney consider a Haunted Mansion or Pirates version of the same. They'll be all over it.
It would be really interesting to see how they could position the resort/show building near their respected attractions. Be amazing if they could somehow connect a Haunted Mansion one to the actual front door of the façade.

I also think Universal would make a killing if they did a Harry Potter version over in Islands of Adventure. Imagine that experience. You arrive and first go through Diagon Alley before boarding the train to Hogsmede, then journey to the castle and sorted in your house. then the story experience could begin. They would be stupid not to consider it.

Incomudro

I never said little kids would be excluded, it seemed in the original press release that this would be focused on all ages, including hardcore adult SW geeks. Either way it’s not for me at all. I enjoy the movies and the mandolorian casually, but I have no desire to pay thousands of dollars to stay in a glorified hotel playing dress up for 3 days.
I know that you never said little kids would be excluded.
The experience does focus on all ages technically.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom