News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Sir_Cliff

Obviously Disney is going to have to do a bit more education in their Starcruiser marketing materials to help explain to the general public that this is not a ”Star Wars hotel,” there is no pool, the cabins are small, the exterior will not be seen by the public, and that Batuu is going to be part of the experience.

Because lots of people have really strong opinions about a thing they know very little about.
I think this is really going to be the key. I could see them running into regular problems with people just booking the new "Star Wars Hotel" without really looking into it and then being surprised when they show up and it's not like a standard WDW hotel at all, particularly not one with the amenities they'd expect for that price. Disney is really going to have to beat people over the head with the concept before and after booking. Despite their best efforts, I still think it won't be that rare for people to show up totally clueless about what they've booked.

Very interested to see if and for how long this whole concept works.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

I think this is really going to be the key. I could see them running in to regular problems with people just booking in to the new "Star Wars Hotel" without really looking into it and then being surprised when they show up and it's not like a standard WDW hotel at all, particularly not one with the amenities they'd expect for that price. Disney is really going to have to beat people over the head with the concept before and after booking. Despite their best efforts, I still think it won't be that rare for people to show up totally clueless about what they've booked.

I understand going for a certain feel, but I’m stunned that the rooms ended up being tiny cabins - unless your schedule is that planned out that you will hardly be in it.

Either way, I think they can easily correct misperceptions and set reasonable expectations when it actually rolls out. All it takes is one good commercial (or infomercial like they did when GE opened.)

corran horn

All these comments back and forth - what if we actually waited until it opened and experienced it before passing judgment?
Nah - that's not the modern Star Wars "fan" - what was I thinking...
There's plenty of mileage for the people who keep saying they wouldn't do it to in fact not do it - leaving room for the (presumably) tens of thousands that will.

If you don't want to do it because you don't see the point and/or don't think it's execute properly, don't do it.

_caleb

I don’t think the problem will be demand. I think Disney’s biggest challenge will be keeping the storyline fresh for new guests over time.

It’s one thing for bloggers to post photos of the weird dinner served by droids and aliens, but once word gets out that the Starcruiser is convincingly captured and boarded by Kyle Ren around 8PM, the thrill may be spoiled a bit.

Knott’s Berry Farm has maintained an “immersive” storyline for their Calico Railroad since 1952, but I’m not sure people would pay extra for the experience today.

matt9112

When did they refer to it as a hotel?

The original announcement on the Disney Parks blog back in 2017 called it a “resort.” Maybe that’s what you’re referring to?

Uhhh they call all the hotels resorts though...unless your going to try and tell me pop isnt a motel with a fancy pool?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The biggest selling point could be exclusive access to Galaxy's Edge pre or post park opening. Imagine having no lines for the rides, no wait to get into the Cantina, maybe exclusive meet n greets etc. That would be a big deal.

This would be cool, but I have to wonder whether this is the plan. The "shuttle" we have seen in concept art looks pretty small so unless they are running a lot of them it would be hard to get everyone to GE in a reasonable amount of time. It would also increase operating costs to do it after hours.

UNCgolf

Exactly -- as I alluded to earlier, it's a pretty big risk for Disney because they can't easily pivot this into a standard hotel. It doesn't have any of the necessary amenities, the rooms are small, there's no transportation to other parks, and probably other things I'm not thinking of.

If this thing fails, or even just doesn't live up to expectations, it's going to cost a lot of money to change it into something usable for other purposes.

It is pretty small, though, which helps.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I think Disney’s biggest challenge will be keeping the storyline fresh for new guests over time.

This is what I referencing earlier. Although there will be some people who are interested in the same experience over and over, it will be one and done for many (if not most) of the people that actually do like the concept, especially considering the price tag and length of time involved. It's not comparable to riding the same 5-10 minute ride repeatedly.

I imagine there will be significant costs involved in updating the experience, but I don't see how they can go forward without doing so somewhat regularly.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Obviously Disney is going to have to do a bit more education in their Starcruiser marketing materials to help explain to the general public that this is not a ”Star Wars hotel,” there is no pool, the cabins are small, the exterior will not be seen by the public, and that Batuu is going to be part of the experience.
Everybody else here seems to get that...

Rob562

This is what I referencing earlier. Although there will be some people who are interested in the same experience over and over, it will be one and done for many (if not most) of the people that actually do like the concept, especially considering the price tag and length of time involved. It's not comparable to riding the same 5-10 minute ride repeatedly.

I imagine there will be significant costs involved in updating the experience, but I don't see how they can go forward without doing so somewhat regularly.

I think they can guard against that somewhat if they have different "experiences" (shows) that occur simultaneously in different locations, as long as none of them are 100% integral to the "storyline" of the 2-night/3-day experience. That way repeat guests can choose which shows they see on each visit, thereby creating their own individual experience. In essence a real-life version of the Star Tours random sequence setup. Or like at the old Adventurers Club (RIP). Those who joined the group heading into a Library show saw one thing, those who stayed behind in the Salon might experience something in the side Mask or Treasure room, or interactions in the main salon.

Or a different theater equivalent would be the "Sleep No More" experience in NYC (which I *really* hope returns post-Covid, because I only got to experience it once). It's "immersive theater", where the show is spread out across 5 or 6 floors of a large warehouse building with thoroughly detailed sets. Spread throughout the building are the actors who go through their scenes and move through the spaces, interacting with other actors along the way. You're brought to one "entrance" location in the building in small groups via a freight elevator, and then allowed to "choose your own path" as things unfold through the evening. Where you go and which characters you choose to follow is entirely up to you. There's no possible way to see the entire show of every actor in one night, you simply see the parts of the story that you choose to follow. Afterward you compare notes with your friends who made different choices. And the next time you go, you choose different storylines to follow.

-Rob

UNCgolf

I think they can guard against that somewhat if they have different "experiences" (shows) that occur simultaneously in different locations, as long as none of them are 100% integral to the "storyline" of the 2-night/3-day experience. That way repeat guests can choose which shows they see on each visit, thereby creating their own individual experience. In essence a real-life version of the Star Tours random sequence setup. Or like at the old Adventurers Club (RIP). Those who joined the group heading into a Library show saw one thing, those who stayed behind in the Salon might experience something in the side Mask or Treasure room, or interactions in the main salon.

Or a different theater equivalent would be the "Sleep No More" experience in NYC (which I *really* hope returns post-Covid, because I only got to experience it once). It's "immersive theater", where the show is spread out across 5 or 6 floors of a large warehouse building with thoroughly detailed sets. Spread throughout the building are the actors who go through their scenes and move through the spaces, interacting with other actors along the way. You're brought to one "entrance" location in the building in small groups via a freight elevator, and then allowed to "choose your own path" as things unfold through the evening. Where you go and which characters you choose to follow is entirely up to you. There's no possible way to see the entire show of every actor in one night, you simply see the parts of the story that you choose to follow. Afterward you compare notes with your friends who made different choices. And the next time you go, you choose different storylines to follow.

-Rob

That could work, although I'm still not sure how many repeats they would get when it's supposedly going to cost over $3000 for one person -- less if you fill a full 5 person cabin, but I don't know if 5 adults could fit in one cabin and even then it would still apparently be around $1500 a person. Who knows if those reported prices are accurate, though.

SWGalaxys_Edge

Halcyon - renderings of how the "shuttle" will dock to take gusts down to Batuu for their Galaxy's Edge adventure.

credit: Disney

bus-01.png
bus-02.png
bus-03.png

Alice a

I don't get all the commenters who are struggling with this concept just because they don't like Star Wars.

I was a huge fan of the original trilogy in my tweens and teens who lost my fangirl status over the disappointment of the prequel trilogy (and I loathe the new series) but this is a NEW concept, and it's exciting that Disney is even taking these risks, as they have become more and more risk-adverse.

If this suceeds, I would LOVE to stay in a tower of terror or haunted mansion-themed 2-day LARP (and I've never been inclined to cosplay or go-to comicon) - this is an experience that could be separate, outside of the parks, that just happened to be part of the Vacation Kingdom of the World type entertainment.

This is the type of innovation we used to expect from the theme parks.

UNCgolf

I don't get all the commenters who are struggling with this concept just because they don't like Star Wars.

I was a huge fan of the original trilogy in my tweens and teens who lost my fangirl status over the disappointment of the prequel trilogy (and I loathe the new series) but this is a NEW concept, and it's exciting that Disney is even taking these risks, as they have become more and more risk-adverse.

If this suceeds, I would LOVE to stay in a tower of terror of haunted mansion-themed 2-day LARP (and I've never been inclined to cosplay or go-to comicon) - this is an experience that could be separate, outside of the parks, that just happened to be part of the Vacation Kingdom of the World type enetrtainment.

I don't think anyone is struggling with it because they don't like Star Wars -- I'm not a big fan of the prequel or sequel trilogy, but I loved the originals.

It just doesn't seem like something that will work long term for the amount of money they're spending to build it. I have a hard time imagining this drawing in people and being consistently full for the next 10-15 years. It is pretty small, though, so maybe I'll be wrong. It's not like they have room for/are expecting thousands of people nightly.

Sir_Cliff

Exactly -- as I alluded to earlier, it's a pretty big risk for Disney because they can't easily pivot this into a standard hotel. It doesn't have any of the necessary amenities, the rooms are small, there's no transportation to other parks, and probably other things I'm not thinking of.

If this thing fails, or even just doesn't live up to expectations, it's going to cost a lot of money to change it into something usable for other purposes.
That is an interesting point that I hadn't actually considered. The whole scenario of them just converting it into a regular hotel if the concept doesn't work out is far easier said than done, maybe not even worth it.

I don't think anyone is struggling with it because they don't like Star Wars -- I'm not a big fan of the prequel or sequel trilogy, but I loved the originals.

It just doesn't seem like something that will work long term for the amount of money they're spending to build it. I have a hard time imagining this drawing in people and being consistently full for the next 10-15 years. It is pretty small, though, so maybe I'll be wrong. It's not like they have room for/are expecting thousands of people nightly.
I feel exactly the same! I have my doubts the concept will work, but it is small so maybe the niche it's aiming to hit is big enough. In short, who knows!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom