News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's what fascinates me--there are a lot of adult Disney fans, true, but I would think that adults are MUCH more likely to shell out for experiences that they think will appeal to their children than ones that appeal to themselves--so paying for a "princess tea" or a room in the "princess hotel."

I don't think Star Wars has that same kid appeal right now, but maybe I'm wrong? That and the needs of real live current children who are interested in Star Wars will inevitably clash with the adult fans who are, er, children at heart.

Being curious about this doesn't mean it will fail, it's just interesting!

Have you ever seen jedi training not busy?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That's what fascinates me--there are a lot of adult Disney fans, true, but I would think that adults are MUCH more likely to shell out for experiences that they think will appeal to their children than ones that appeal to themselves--so paying for a "princess tea" or a room in the "princess hotel."

I don't think Star Wars has that same kid appeal right now, but maybe I'm wrong? That and the needs of real live current children who are interested in Star Wars will inevitably clash with the adult fans who are, er, children at heart.

Being curious about this doesn't mean it will fail, it's just interesting!

Star Wars still has big kid appeal. Disney has been cranking out a lot of kid-oriented Star Wars content, Rebels, Resistance, Freemaker Adventures, Droid Tales, etc.

Last edited:

corran horn

Have you ever seen jedi training not busy?

This...and...your kids can be shills to let you feel more comfortable about doing something 'kiddie'. (if you have those qualms)

My wife and I teamed to build a lightsaber to 'try it out' before we did it for our two kids. Funny how that worked out.

Whenever I see an experience that would've blown me away as a kid to do I try to do it now. Why not? I count as a person and it's not like my kids or wife would dislike it anyway.

mdcpr

Yeah not sure what the previous poster's point was? Just to brag that her husband likes SW but doesn't want to do the SW hotel experience? Great! Have fun not having fun? Lol. More room for people that would enjoy it
Hmm, bragging, sure sure. The point was, which was greatly missed by some, that my husband is the target audience for this experience from a marketing standpoint, and he's not hooked.

doctornick

Hmm, bragging, sure sure. The point was, which was greatly missed by some, that my husband is the target audience for this experience from a marketing standpoint, and he's not hooked.

Simply being a Star Wars fanatic wouldn't put someone in the target audience for this. For example, people who are not into roleplaying (LARP) or have public speaking phobia or the like obviously would not be appropriate.

Even among the group of strong or hardcore Star Wars fans, this is aiming for only a subset of them.

techgeek

Simply being a Star Wars fanatic wouldn't put someone in the target audience for this. For example, people who are not into roleplaying (LARP) or have public speaking phobia or the like obviously would not be appropriate.

Even among the group of strong or hardcore Star Wars fans, this is aiming for only a subset of them.

The structure of the experience definitely does not appeal to my introverted nature, even though I think the settings are cool. I’m not quite sure what rubs me the wrong way about it, but it’s definitely something I’d want to read some in depth reviews of before deciding it’s worth the premium.

dreamfinder912

I'm the dreaded childless millennial and my spouse and I are so excited for this. The only thing I really fear are the two kind of "warring" types of Disney fans clashing here the way they did at club villain. You had the childless people enjoying a night at a kinda risque (for Disney) club and enjoying the entertainment and unlimited food and drink...who then had the vibe killed by people bringing their kids. And the people who brought their kids to a club and complained about the drunk people. Disney looks like they're trying to market this both to your average family with 2.5 kids...AND the absolute supernerd LARPer. Those two things don't typically line up and while they can coexist easily in a large land or theme park bottling both groups up in a boutique hotel sounds...well...dumb. If they try to make both groups happy, well it'll go over about as well as shoehorning more IP into the world showcase has been....uptick of families complaining about the drinkers, and a bunch of drinkers now dodging a wave of strollers.

MrPromey

I'm the dreaded childless millennial and my spouse and I are so excited for this. The only thing I really fear are the two kind of "warring" types of Disney fans clashing here the way they did at club villain. You had the childless people enjoying a night at a kinda risque (for Disney) club and enjoying the entertainment and unlimited food and drink...who then had the vibe killed by people bringing their kids. And the people who brought their kids to a club and complained about the drunk people. Disney looks like they're trying to market this both to your average family with 2.5 kids...AND the absolute supernerd LARPer. Those two things don't typically line up and while they can coexist easily in a large land or theme park bottling both groups up in a boutique hotel sounds...well...dumb. If they try to make both groups happy, well it'll go over about as well as shoehorning more IP into the world showcase has been....uptick of families complaining about the drinkers, and a bunch of drinkers now dodging a wave of strollers.
Problem is Disney always wants it both ways (or wants both groups' money without having to do more work to separate the two, I should say)...

Maybe they'll be smart about bookings and put people with kids in the same section and maybe certain experiences, depending on the makeup of your group, will be set up so the two different groups only see each other in passing.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Problem is Disney always wants it both ways (or wants both groups money without having to do more work to separate the two, I should say)...

Maybe they'll be smart about bookings and put people with kids in the same section and maybe certain experiences, depending on the makeup of your group, will be set up so the two different groups only see each other in passing.
I've never been on a DCL cruise but I read they do an excellent job of keeping the kids contained so they are not obnoxious to those that sail without them, if true maybe they can work some of that magic here.
The art looks like a play space and the adult in costume is one of the caretakers of the space. Adults get time off for other activities

Last edited:

MrPromey

I've never been on a DCL cruise but I read they do an excellent job of keeping the kids contained so they are not obnoxious to those that sail without them, if true maybe they can work some of that magic here.
The art looks like a play space and the adult in costume is one of the caretakers of the space. Adults get time off for other activities

Great point.

I've never been in the cruise but have friends who have (without kids) and they said that it was great the way they handled that.

Since this is sort of being modeled after that, I'd have to imagine they've given it that thought.

SWGalaxys_Edge

Engineering-room-600x300.jpg

LastoneOn

My husband is a serious SW fan, and would never do this. And he is the perfect target market. Early 40s, disposable income for experiences, Uber fan. When he went to GE by himself--because he wanted to soak it all in on his own, he didn't think twice about the add-ons pay for experiences, and when I showed this to him, he was not interested at all.
I don't think he's alone. But I'm not sure 40s is the age, I think they're aiming lower. Nothings going to ruin the thing like a bunch of 40+ oldies milling about (that's what the young-uns think these days).

LastoneOn

Yeah not sure what the previous poster's point was? Just to brag that her husband likes SW but doesn't want to do the SW hotel experience? Great! Have fun not having fun? Lol. More room for people that would enjoy it
give it a rest. She's just stating that he's a fan, with money, no interested.

Just because YOU think its fun doesn't mean everyone that doesn't is a baddie. Grow up.

LastoneOn

In the case of this hotel, I'm sure someone was giving thought to what that building could be repurposed for, if needed, before ground was even broken and I don't see anything wrong with that.
Will convert to a nice small lux resort with a futuristic entrance real quick. Then an add on tower addition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom