News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

techgeek

Also, I'm not sure why people don't seem to get the "game" aspect of the Starcruiser experience. There won't be a lot of downtime during the one and 2-half day duration of the experience. There will be assignments, games to play, puzzles to work out, missions to go on, meals that are shows, etc. to keep guests busy during the first and third days, and SW:GE on the second day. It's not a hotel themed to Star Wars, it's a cruise in the Star Wars universe.

I get the 'game' aspect of it, but there's a lot of different ways that can be logistically implemented, and this isn't exactly a 90 minute escape room. Personally, if the day is structured so much that they hand you a schedule and you have to be at lightsaber training at 0900, report to the bridge at 1030, and everyone meets in the dining room at 1200 for lunch and show... that doesn't appeal at all. I think you'd get a lot of push back from that.

Beam down? In a Star Wars thread? Really? Come on. ;)

Err.. you mean I won't be able to use my Harry Potter wand?

_caleb

I get the 'game' aspect of it, but there's a lot of different ways that can be logistically implemented, and this isn't exactly a 90 minute escape room. Personally, if the day is structured so much that they hand you a schedule and you have to be at lightsaber training at 0900, report to the bridge at 1030, and everyone meets in the dining room at 1200 for lunch and show... that doesn't appeal at all. I think you'd get a lot of push back from that.

Then surely you could see something in between "unstructured time locked in a small, windowless hotel" and "every waking moment scheduled with precise times." The fact that there's a kid's play area tells us that there will be some level of flexibility and choice when it comes to how guests spend their time. The fact that the building and rooms are relatively small and that there will be a scripted beginning and end to the experience and established, scheduled, and themed ways to "travel" to and from the Starcruiser tells us that there will be quite a bit of structure to a guest's stay.

I agree it's not going to be a 44-hour escape room, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are escape-room-esque elements.

I just find the "where's the pool?" and "what if Grandma just wants to be left alone?" comments strange. It comes across like someone who hasn't bothered to read up on what this thing is/isn't. Like commenting on the menu of an announced Chinese food restaurant, "I don't see chicken fingers on the menu–EPIC FAIL!!"

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Sounds like a typical day in the parks. ;)

kingdead

Then surely you could see something in between "unstructured time locked in a small, windowless hotel" and "every waking moment scheduled with precise times." The fact that there's a kid's play area tells us that there will be some level of flexibility and choice when it comes to how guests spend their time.
Ok, they're being realistic about that--good sign!

I just don't think there are that many people willing to pay for a fully structured fan experience AND I'm not sure if Disney has the capacity to provide value for money for those who do (they need to provide really skilled entertainers and actors to make this more than a really, really themed hotel and it seems like the company is moving in the opposite direction in terms of hiring). It's less asking for chicken nuggets at the Chinese restaurant than opening one of those restaurants that serves gold-leaf organic Wagyu chicken nuggets plated for Instagram and expecting it to last more than two months.

But I'm really interested to see what happens when it opens! I could be super wrong.

nickys

Premium Member

Even with say 300 guests they will probably have to allocate certain time slots for say light sabre training if everyone is to get a go at it. So it may be “sign up and choose your time” or it may be a case of “guests in rooms 25-40 should report at 3pm”.

There could be a variety of activities / events happening which you chose to go to at certain times. The problem with that is that if everyone chooses to go to the Bridge at 7pm on Day 1 then there are a lot of disappointed people. So being given a schedule so that one group do the Bridge and the Spy Mission on Day 1 whilst another group do Weapons training and the Hug a Wookie session might be the best way. Otherwise little Brad and Sheryl will never leave the Bridge.

_caleb

Ok, they're being realistic about that--good sign!

I just don't think there are that many people willing to pay for a fully structured fan experience AND I'm not sure if Disney has the capacity to provide value for money for those who do (they need to provide really skilled entertainers and actors to make this more than a really, really themed hotel and it seems like the company is moving in the opposite direction in terms of hiring). It's less asking for chicken nuggets at the Chinese restaurant than opening one of those restaurants that serves gold-leaf organic Wagyu chicken nuggets plated for Instagram and expecting it to last more than two months.

But I'm really interested to see what happens when it opens! I could be super wrong.
Good points! Though I'm pretty sure Disney did their homework to determine the demand for this sort of thing before they spent any money on it. (And I imagine they did the research again before deciding to continue construction on this despite cancelling other projects).

It should be noted that any research about demand would be based on the concept, not the actual experience (which doesn't exist yet). As with SW:GE, there are probably a lot of people who would indicate a willingness to spend loads of money for an "immersive "Star Wars interactive experience," but have second thoughts when they see what Disney actually ends up selling.

The biggest mistake so far was not being aggressive about messaging. It's been called the "Star Wars hotel" for so long now, I'm not sure they're ever going to get that expectation out of the public's mind.

corran horn

I won't stand for this blatant intergalactic FP+ hatred. :p

aliceismad

Personally, if the day is structured so much that they hand you a schedule and you have to be at lightsaber training at 0900, report to the bridge at 1030, and everyone meets in the dining room at 1200 for lunch and show... that doesn't appeal at all. I think you'd get a lot of push back from that.
This is kind of exactly how a cruise operates though. There is a schedule of events every day, and people can choose to (or not to) participate in those events. Some events require reservations. There is a child care/play center, so adults can have some fun on their own. There are multiple dining options, some of which require reservations.

I sincerely doubt Disney is going to freeze non-participants in carbonite or anything.

corran horn

This is kind of exactly how a cruise operates though. There is a schedule of events every day, and people can choose to (or not to) participate in those events. Some events require reservations. There is a child care/play center, so adults can have some fun on their own. There are multiple dining options, some of which require reservations.

I sincerely doubt Disney is going to freeze non-participants in carbonite or anything.

Imagine opting-in to this at great expense and being angry you couldn't go to Olive Garden at crossroads for dinner.

I'm sure somebody who wants to go out for a cigarette will be accommodated.

JoeCamel

Imagine opting-in to this at great expense and being angry you couldn't go to Olive Garden at crossroads for dinner.

I'm sure somebody who wants to go out for a cigarette will be accommodated.
I doubt anyone will be at crossroads when this opens.

corran horn

I doubt anyone will be at crossroads when this opens.
Hopefully the Olive Garden and Denny's are far enough north to be ok.

RIP to Jungle Jim's, but that was a long while ago...

JoeCamel

Hopefully the Olive Garden and Denny's are far enough north to be ok.

RIP to Jungle Jim's, but that was a long while ago...
Nope, they are toast

i4.PNG

More detail if you like

i41.PNG

Last edited:

Aries1975

I probably am just overthinking this, but I just keep wondering how basic day-to-day resort life will function in this format and environment.

Besides the lack of a pool, which is still mind-blowing to me (is there ANY hotel in this state that doesn't have a pool??)... What happens when you want to grab something from your car? Go for a morning jog? Get a pizza delivered? Meet with family or friends that aren't 'on the cruise'? See some sunlight? Go out for a midnight snack?

Usually cruise ships have a 1/2 mile or 3/4 mile trail on one of the decks for runners. Besides, there have are creative ways to stay "fit" in "space."

I would hope for the $$$ this is expected to be, it would included room service 24/7. The cruises have 24 hour room service, usually have the beverage station open all night and one "pool deck" snack/grill open until midnight.

2001_running_sm.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Usually cruise ships have a 1/2 mile or 3/4 mile trail on one of the decks for runners. Besides, there have are creative ways to stay "fit" in "space."

I would hope for the $$$ this is expected to be, it would included room service 24/7. The cruises have 24 hour room service, usually have the beverage station open all night and one "pool deck" snack/grill open until midnight.

View attachment 504961
I'm presuming (which means I could be wrong) that the Halcyon, at its price-point, would be considered a Deluxe hotel and have available such amenities as 24 hour room service, or, at least, a club level snack/tapas room.

You know the SW nerds would keep the bar open all night talking SW stuff, right? ;)

Aries1975

I'm presuming (which means I could be wrong) that the Halcyon, at its price-point, would be considered a Deluxe hotel and have available such amenities as 24 hour room service, or, at least, a club level snack/tapas room.

You know the SW nerds would keep the bar open all night talking SW stuff, right? ;)
And the bartenders will be very happy with the tips. I am very generous, especially if I know I am the reason they did not close an hour ago.

I am one of the more casual Star Wars fans. I will have to see the price point and what it really includes.

But of all of the "problems" on the list - where do the smokers go - is probably the only true concern.

aliceismad

But of all of the "problems" on the list - where do the smokers go - is probably the only true concern.
Real cruise ships have an outdoor area where smoking is allowed. Who knows if Disney will include something like that. Given Disney's non-smoking policy in the Parks, I don't think accommodating the smokers is high on their to-do list.

The Star Wars universe is vast. Beyond the movies, there are tv shows, cartoons, books, comic books, video games, etc. There is a ton of potential ideas for cool things that people would love. Plus Disney has seen the popularity of Star Wars at Sea elements of their cruises. If the role-playing aspect loses favor, I'm sure they can pare down with activities they have already established.

(Also the movie Passengers sucks.)

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Real cruise ships have an outdoor area where smoking is allowed. Who knows if Disney will include something like that. Given Disney's non-smoking policy in the Parks, I don't think accommodating the smokers is high on their to-do list.

The Star Wars universe is vast. Beyond the movies, there are tv shows, cartoons, books, comic books, video games, etc. There is a ton of potential ideas for cool things that people would love. Plus Disney has seen the popularity of Star Wars at Sea elements of their cruises. If the role-playing aspect loses favor, I'm sure they can pare down with activities they have already established.

(Also the movie Passengers sucks.)
I would be surprised if they didn't make some accommodation for smokers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom