News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

BromBones

Now that it has a release date I think it time to ask the question...

Originally Disney reported when they announced the hotel that the immersive experience in the hotel will carry out into Space Adventure Land (in space). How are they going to maintain the immersion in the land.....when they haven't been able to implement any type of immersion in the land thus far?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You can eat at your own resort without taking a bus now, and it’s not included in the price of the room.

I don’t know if food would be included or not, but I don’t think it would be set up to take a bus to dine elsewhere.

My guess is that food will be included as part of the price. The next question is, will park admission be included?

Yea I think it's set up where you can't leave until the end of the experience.

If someone wants to leave the hotel to have dinner somewhere else, I highly doubt they will stop you, but obviously it will be to your advantage to stay.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Now that it has a release date I think it time to ask the question...

Originally Disney reported when they announced the hotel that the immersive experience in the hotel will carry out into Space Adventure Land (in space). How are they going to maintain the immersion in the land.....when they haven't been able to implement any type of immersion in the land thus far?

The land is very immersive.

BromBones

Next question.... How are they going to maintain the immersive experience in the hotel after someone...inevitably...gets offended, or some kid gets scare, or some guest finds something offensive or inconvenient.

Disney is known for cutting the cord on many features after the slightest complaint from guests.

FigmentFreak

It could still work with the multiple boarding times/shuttles, but the point about the staffing is a really great one. Your cruise captain wouldn't just change halfway through your cruise. So the same CMs would need to be on the "ship" for the entire cruise.

I agree with you about the story. I think there are a lot of logistics they'll need to work through to make the story happen though.

Could just say the captain is on break. Even on a cruise ship all crew members get some downtime.

TrainsOfDisney

Sure it can and occasionally does happen. But as a general rule people don’t board a cruise mid sailing. And in many cases it’s against the law.

The cruise company won’t let you book it if it’s against the law. I’m not an expert cruiser at all, but both cruises I’ve been on (holland & Royal carribean) I’ve met people who were boarding and / or leaving mid cruise. They booked it that way. So I figure it can’t be that odd of a thing.

You’re correct though it would sometimes be against the law based on the routing of the ship.

mmascari

It's called the "Starcruiser", not the "Star Wars Fancy Resort" or "Star Wars LARP Hotel", but a "cruise".

I think all the questions on logistics, price, inclusives, are overthinking this. It's just a crusie. Ignore that it's physically not floating at sea and pretend it is. Rather, pretend that it's traveling in space.

Searching Disney Cruise Line, I see two "2-Night Baja Cruise from San Diego", one is a Halloween trip. They price 2 adults for an Oceanview room at $1,712 and $1,964. Since the Starcruiser rooms will be Spaceview and not Verandah rooms, for obvious space reasons. The Concierge rooms are $3,148 and $4,224. The rumored $2,000 Starcruiser seems to fit right in with these prices.

If we assume they took the exact same operations model as this particular cruise trip, simply replacing "day in Ensenada, Mexico, along with shipboard activities" with "day in Black Rock Outpost, Batu, along with shipboard activities", that's probably pretty close to the model.

Include all the logistics, embarcation, shore trips, on board activities, disembark. That's probably close to how it will work.

As a bonus, Disney already knows how to run a cruise. Does anyone know what operations/division the Starcruiser is part of? Is it part of Resorts, Parks, Cruise Line, something else? That might give us a clue, or not. Wherever it is, hopefully they're talking with the Cruise Line operations teams.

Ripken10

The cruise company won’t let you book it if it’s against the law. I’m not an expert cruiser at all, but both cruises I’ve been on (holland & Royal carribean) I’ve met people who were boarding and / or leaving mid cruise. They booked it that way. So I figure it can’t be that odd of a thing.

You’re correct though it would sometimes be against the law based on the routing of the ship.
I have been on two cruises, one of which we left mid cruise. We did not book it that way. It's not common, but it does happen. My mother was a travel agent and has helped clients with doing it before, that's how we knew it was possible. They put someone in our room after we left (but we we were charged full price for the room).

Hank Hill

I have been on two cruises, one of which we left mid cruise. We did not book it that way. It's not common, but it does happen. My mother was a travel agent and has helped clients with doing it before, that's how we knew it was possible. They put someone in our room after we left (but we we were charged full price for the room).
I was reading about people who book passage on cargo ships. There isn't much to do, no real amenities, and it takes longer. But people like it as a way to get to places they might not otherwise get to. They eat with the crew and get to walk around a bit on deck. I think Disney is missing a market, people paying for the opportunity to just sit in backstage areas, stay where they house the college kids, eat at cast member break rooms.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It's called the "Starcruiser", not the "Star Wars Fancy Resort" or "Star Wars LARP Hotel", but a "cruise".

I think all the questions on logistics, price, inclusives, are overthinking this. It's just a crusie. Ignore that it's physically not floating at sea and pretend it is. Rather, pretend that it's traveling in space.

This sounds nice on paper, but in reality I don't think it will hold up. If a cruise guests asks to leave in the middle of the ocean, it's pretty reasonable to tell them, "we are in the middle of the ocean, we can't do that". If a guests on the Starcruiser wants to go back to their car for some reason, it's going to be hard to tell them that they can't do that.

BromBones

Searching Disney Cruise Line, I see two "2-Night Baja Cruise from San Diego", one is a Halloween trip. They price 2 adults for an Oceanview room at $1,712 and $1,964. Since the Starcruiser rooms will be Spaceview and not Verandah rooms, for obvious space reasons. The Concierge rooms are $3,148 and $4,224. The rumored $2,000 Starcruiser seems to fit right in with these prices.

If we assume they took the exact same operations model as this particular cruise trip, simply replacing "day in Ensenada, Mexico, along with shipboard activities" with "day in Black Rock Outpost, Batu, along with shipboard activities", that's probably pretty close to the model.

Include all the logistics, embarcation, shore trips, on board activities, disembark. That's probably close to how it will work.

As a bonus, Disney already knows how to run a cruise. Does anyone know what operations/division the Starcruiser is part of? Is it part of Resorts, Parks, Cruise Line, something else? That might give us a clue, or not. Wherever it is, hopefully they're talking with the Cruise Line operations teams.

That's all good except.....this is not a real cruise ship.

BromBones

I was reading about people who book passage on cargo ships. There isn't much to do, no real amenities, and it takes longer. But people like it as a way to get to places they might not otherwise get to. They eat with the crew and get to walk around a bit on deck. I think Disney is missing a market, people paying for the opportunity to just sit in backstage areas, stay where they house the college kids, eat at cast member break rooms.

That have those. They are called the value resorts :)

21stamps

This sounds nice on paper, but in reality I don't think it will hold up. If a cruise guests asks to leave in the middle of the ocean, it's pretty reasonable to tell them, "we are in the middle of the ocean, we can't do that". If a guests on the Starcruiser wants to go back to their car for some reason, it's going to be hard to tell them that they can't do that.
Agree.
This is why I’m not a huge fan of the cruise analogy. Imo if food and some entertainment is included, then it’s much more comparable to an all inclusive resort.

Kamikaze

That's all good except.....this is not a real cruise ship.

When we liken this to a cruise, its to allow people without imagination to clue themselves into what the process will be like when they are staying on the starcruiser. We are well aware that it isn't a cruise ship, but it is most similar to taking a cruise when you are talking about a two day itinerary onboard.

Kamikaze

Agree.
This is why I’m not a huge fan of the cruise analogy. Imo if food and some entertainment is included, then it’s much more comparable to an all inclusive resort.

This really isn't that difficult. They aren't going to stop you from leaving. To go to your car, to go to the parks, or if you want to go outside and get some exercise. But they aren't going to help you leave either. No buses, etc.

mmascari

Oh, I'm sure they'll let you out. I don't think they're going to force anyone to stay. It is afterall, not really in the ocean or space.

From the looks of it, they're probably valet parking. I'm sure they'll let you out the front door and get your car for you. Then, you could drive off and return later to valet, or just get something and send it back with the valet.

Compared to taking the bus tender space shuttlecraft from the hotel to the park. Much like a day in port where an ocean cruise ship is moored not docked.

For those that travel with no car. I'll bet you'll be able to take magical transport to the Starcruiser, and back to the airport. Probably also a safe bet you'll be able take it from another resort to the Starcruiser for an add-on cruise or from Starcruiser to a resort for cruise before.

I wouldn't take the bet of them offer regular bus transport between the Starcruiser and other parks/resorts/springs. An uber/lyft/minivan, sure, but I doubt there will be regular bus service. The more we hear, the more this seems likely.

You're not restricted from doing those things, but you're paying for stuff that's part of the resort. Sure, you could minivan off to Chef Mickey or a day in the Magic Kingdom, but it probably isn't worth it.

I'll also assume it's a safe bet that some food and some entertainment is included. There's not a huge difference between an all inclusive resort where you never leave the property and a cruise ship, except for the size. That's where I think the Starcruiser is more like a ship. There's no grounds for someone to walk around. It's more like all the interior spaces of a ship.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom