News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

NickC

A new permit was filed with the FDEP last week that contains some exciting new details about this hotel and answers some the hotly debated questions about its layout, number of rooms and how transportation will work. I wrote a little article about it, and I hope it's okay to link to it here. I'll also provide most of the interesting details so you don't have to leave WDWMagic to get the scoop:

https://www.californiacoasterkings.com/new-permit-reveals-star-wars-hotel-details/

The first thing to keep in mind is that these are 50% Design Development drawings from the Site Development package, so there's a good chance that things could change as the drawings are finalized - but they definitely paint a much clearer picture of the resort than we've seen before.

CKj1hem.png

Another fun tidbit is that this is, I think, the first official reference to the "H" in Project H standing for "Hubble":

t98v3F0.png

Starting with the arrival experience, it looks like you'll be processed through security as soon as you arrive. I'd imagine this whole area will be themed to futuristic type of airport/space port, so all the security can easily be heavily themed and explained away as part of the departure experience of leaving Earth. After security it looks like you'll go through a series of rooms with show elements including the "elevator" that takes you to the ship. It'll be interesting to see if the elevator takes guests staying on the second floor up one level and through a duplicate set of the post-elevator rooms, or if it'll just dump everyone out on the same level, à la the Hydrolators.

RNzFxHu.jpg

2umOpGD.jpg

After that you're out in the ship. The first level contains a Table Service Restaurant, a Buffet, the Brig, an Engineering Room and a Dojo, as well as access to the Transportation Hall - more on that later. The Dojo has a mechanical room attached to it, so there's likely going to be some kind of show elements involved here, maybe something like The Jedi Training Academy? No idea what the Engineering room could be for, and I love the idea of the ship having a Brig - could be some fun storylines involving that!

vynNfIp.jpg

The Cabin area is next, and according to these plans there are 34 cabins on the first level, with 32 of them being standard sized and 2 of them being larger 1st Class Cabins. If this same layout is mirrored on the second level, then this hotel might only have 68 guest rooms! Although, I'd imagine there will be more guest rooms on the second level occupying the space taken up by the arrival area and the large BOH F&B offices/kitchen on the first floor. But even at that, they'll probably only be able to squeeze in an additional 20-30 rooms, putting the possible total at under 100 rooms.

TKlgv5m.jpg

Last but not least is the Transportation area. It should come as no surprise that shuttle buses will be used to get guests to and from the park, but it looks like the boarding experience will at least be neat, with a jet bridge/gangway that attaches to the side of the shuttle. If guests staying at this resort will be allowed to venture off to any of the other parks during their Star Wars experience, it definitely won't be via this transportation area, as it looks like it'll only accommodate the special buses for this hotel.

ZehLLjK.jpg

Anyway, that's pretty much it for my commentary. I'm sure you all will dig through these images and find other cool stuff to talk and speculate about. I can't wait to see how this whole project pans out!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
A new permit was filed with the FDEP last week that contains some exciting new details about this hotel and answers some the hotly debated questions about its layout, number of rooms and how transportation will work. I wrote a little article about it, and I hope it's okay to link to it here. I'll also provide most of the interesting details so you don't have to leave WDWMagic to get the scoop:

https://www.californiacoasterkings.com/new-permit-reveals-star-wars-hotel-details/

The first thing to keep in mind is that these are 50% Design Development drawings from the Site Development package, so there's a good chance that things could change as the drawings are finalized - but they definitely paint a much clearer picture of the resort than we've seen before.

CKj1hem.png

Another fun tidbit is that this is, I think, the first official reference to the "H" in Project H standing for "Hubble":

t98v3F0.png

Starting with the arrival experience, it looks like you'll be processed through security as soon as you arrive. I'd imagine this whole area will be themed to futuristic type of airport/space port, so all the security can easily be heavily themed and explained away as part of the departure experience of leaving Earth. After security it looks like you'll go through a series of rooms with show elements including the "elevator" that takes you to the ship. It'll be interesting to see if the elevator takes guests staying on the second floor up one level and through a duplicate set of the post-elevator rooms, or if it'll just dump everyone out on the same level, à la the Hydrolators.

RNzFxHu.jpg

2umOpGD.jpg

After that you're out in the ship. The first level contains a Table Service Restaurant, a Buffet, the Brig, an Engineering Room and a Dojo, as well as access to the Transportation Hall - more on that later. The Dojo has a mechanical room attached to it, so there's likely going to be some kind of show elements involved here, maybe something like The Jedi Training Academy? No idea what the Engineering room could be for, and I love the idea of the ship having a Brig - could be some fun storylines involving that!

vynNfIp.jpg

The Cabin area is next, and according to these plans there are 34 cabins on the first level, with 32 of them being standard sized and 2 of them being larger 1st Class Cabins. If this same layout is mirrored on the second level, then this hotel might only have 68 guest rooms! Although, I'd imagine there will be more guest rooms on the second level occupying the space taken up by the arrival area and the large BOH F&B offices/kitchen on the first floor. But even at that, they'll probably only be able to squeeze in an additional 20-30 rooms, putting the possible total at under 100 rooms.

TKlgv5m.jpg

Last but not least is the Transportation area. It should come as no surprise that shuttle buses will be used to get guests to and from the park, but it looks like the boarding experience will at least be neat, with a jet bridge/gangway that attaches to the side of the shuttle. If guests staying at this resort will be allowed to venture off to any of the other parks during their Star Wars experience, it definitely won't be via this transportation area, as it looks like it'll only accommodate the special buses for this hotel.

ZehLLjK.jpg

Anyway, that's pretty much it for my commentary. I'm sure you all will dig through these images and find other cool stuff to talk and speculate about. I can't wait to see how this whole project pans out!

So looking at this there doesn't seem to be a lot of things to "do" in this plan. The Dojo is obviously some sort of Jedi training area, and the Engineering Room could be a guest area, and finally the restaurant. Doesn't seem like enough public areas to keep people occupied for a multi-day experience.

iowamomof4

This new resort sounds really cool and I like that they're really going "all out" for it (so it seems, anyway), but I must say I had always been hoping for something more along the lines of a value resort with huge Star Wars icons all over and nicely-themed rooms, similar to AoA. It makes me sort of sad that this resort experience will be so limited by $$ and will really just be for the uber fans (who have lots of disposable income). Oh well.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
So looking at this there doesn't seem to be a lot of things to "do" in this plan. The Dojo is obviously some sort of Jedi training area, and the Engineering Room could be a guest area, and finally the restaurant. Doesn't seem like enough public areas to keep people occupied for a multi-day experience.
Perhaps on the second level?

trainplane3

Agreed but I like the "Brig" room. I always wanted to go to space jail.

Incomudro

That's what the land is for.

flynnibus

Premium Member

CKj1hem.png

t98v3F0.png

RNzFxHu.jpg

2umOpGD.jpg

vynNfIp.jpg

TKlgv5m.jpg

ZehLLjK.jpg

Post of the year :) Thanks for digging through and extracting highlights for everyone

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
From my LARPing experience:

A Dojo could be simply a place to resolve conflicts. You go in there and you can have anything from an abstract contest of picking numbers with a GameMaster moderating. Or, it could have simulated blasters or light saber terminals to battle other players to resolve conflicts with simple choices such as to block, parry, attack, or with full skill-based computer gaming. Or, it could be a place with VR light saber battles. There's so many exiting possibilities.

For two hundred people, it looks like there's enough space to mingle around. Don't forget we haven't seen in the plans the bridge from the concept art. If there truly is very little space, then the alternative is to set the players loose in GE for most of the day and find all the secret interactive stuff there. Like a ramped-up Agent P adventure.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
From my LARPing experience:

A Dojo could be simply a place to resolve conflicts. You go in there and you can have anything from an abstract contest of picking numbers with a GameMaster moderating. Or, it could have simulated blasters or light saber terminals to battle other players to resolve conflicts with simple choices such as to block, parry, attack, or with full skill-based computer gaming. Or, it could be a place with VR light saber battles. There's so many exiting possibilities.

For two hundred people, it looks like there's enough space to mingle around. Don't forget we haven't seen in the plans the bridge from the concept art. If there truly is very little space, then the alternative is to set the players loose in GE for most of the day and find all the secret interactive stuff there. Like a ramped-up Agent P adventure.
Wouldn't it be interesting* if WDW expected the LARPing guests to provide most of the entertainment to the regular day guests?

*as in "infuriating"

JohnD

If guests staying at this resort will be allowed to venture off to any of the other parks during their Star Wars experience, it definitely won't be via this transportation area, as it looks like it'll only accommodate the special buses for this hotel.

I understand immersion and I wouldn't mind trying it out myself but if you're not "allowed" to go to the other parks this would be a deal breaker. Maybe a regular bus stop outside like other resorts for the other three parks and only using the special launch bay or whatever for SW:GE.

I guess there wouldn't be any outside views from the "cabins" either. Just whatever space view they want you to see. Might be too much immersion for my tastes. Part of going back to the resort is going "home" away from the parks. With this resort, you're immersed 24/7 both in and outside the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom