News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
After watching a standstill 120 minute line for slinky dog today...I’m more convinced than ever that studios is going to be a disaster for quite some time...they honestly should be building more In all 4 parks to even attempt to make good days in the parks. It’s a developing nightmare scenario.

Really needed to do more attractions/capacity...feel free to disagree...then watch it play out.
I’m still curious as to what the hotel is going to look like from the outside.

Some kind of metallic/glass exterior that sticks out but is designed to contain the entertainment inside...would be my guess

Last edited:

Kman101

That’s park to park though.

But I agree with you, Disney should be able to do something better than just a covered walkway.

Oh, they're not doubt "able". But why spend the money when you can have a bus? Don't they (not Disney, just saying don't these busses exist? They could do something similar) have busses where instead of windows they're screens? It's not interesting to me, but seems likely. Of course none of us really know how they'll get people into the park from the resort (and by us I mean those of us not an insider, LOL)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
After watching a standstill 120 hour line for slinky dog today...I’m more convinced than ever that studios is going to be a disaster for quite some time...they honestly should be building more In all 4 parks to even attempt to make good days in the parks. It’s a developing nightmare scenario.

Really needed to do more attractions/capacity...feel free to disagree...then watch it play out.
It’s going to be quite crowded for a year or more. At least they will have Great Mickey, 2 SW rides and the Toy Story stuff in DHS with Pandora, Rat/GotG and eventually Tron to draw people to the other parks. It’s not perfect but there are going to be relatively new things at each park pretty soon. I also expect to see DHS open late every night for a long time after SW opens. Probably the latest park most nights and EMHs or upcharge events every morning. Not going to be a lot of time for maintenance.

At a minimum when SW opens it should make getting on the Pandora rides much easier :)

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It’s going to be quite crowded for a year or more. At least they will have Great Mickey, 2 SW rides and the Toy Story stuff in DHS with Pandora, Rat/GotG and eventually Tron to draw people to the other parks. It’s not perfect but there are going to be relatively new things at each park pretty soon.
Yeah, but how "immersive" is SW:GE going to be with three lines of typical WDW tourists snaking back and forth across every inch of open space???

flynnibus

Premium Member
My gut says people will demand this. Why build it right next to Galaxy’s Edge but not incorporate the land and the resort? People are going to want it. If they stick to a plan of not having a back door entrance it will be difficult or impossible to add it later. I would hope that decision is already made.

Because the point of charging thousands is you will be entertained 'over here'. You can still leverage GE... but if you do it in a controlled manner you don't need 'walkways' that are always accessible, etc.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah, but how "immersive" is SW:GE going to be with three lines of typical WDW tourists snaking back and forth across every inch of open space???
About as immersive as Harry Potter Land or Pandora or any other theme park land with massive crowds. When I was at Universal over spring break there was a line for butterbeer that stretched clear across Hogsmeade. I thought it was the line for the ride it was so long. It’s the unfortunate side effect of great popularity. I don’t think there will be a time where guests will be able to leisurely explore Galaxy’s Edge without crowds for a long time...unless they do let guests at the resort in early/late without regular guests.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Because the point of charging thousands is you will be entertained 'over here'. You can still leverage GE... but if you do it in a controlled manner you don't need 'walkways' that are always accessible, etc.
I hear what you are saying, but I am not buying they hold to that. If they wanted to keep the park separate they could have built it anywhere on property, no need to build an arms length away from the land in the park. When people see the hotel is next to the land and they advertise it like this: “The opportunity for immersion at this resort will also stand out among all Disney resorts around the globe, as it will be seamlessly connected to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, allowing guests a total Star Wars experience.” I think anyone going will assume some exclusive access to Galaxy’s Edge. That exclusive access will really boost room sales if/when the park land is jam packed.

TrojanUSC

Elevated tracks are definitely doable but just add a lot to the cost. Ground level would be cheap. I think if they actually did that it would pay for itself. Imagine driving into the parking lot at DHS and seeing a “shuttle craft” on the track over your car heading to the private entrance to SW Land. People would be lining up to sign up for the resort.

My gut says people will demand this. Why build it right next to Galaxy’s Edge but not incorporate the land and the resort? People are going to want it. If they stick to a plan of not having a back door entrance it will be difficult or impossible to add it later. I would hope that decision is already made.

I just imagine it will work somewhat like the Grand Californian's entrance into DCA with a bit more walking in between.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Walking between a $$$$ per night immersive resort and SW:GE would be a FAIL
People can’t say “no” and they’ll pay...so it allows them to cut corners that wouldn’t fly if the consumer dynamic wasn’t so horribly off.

But it is...it’s more apparent everyday I’m here. It’s the new money capital of the known universe.

Lensman

It’s a really short walk. They have a walking path from CR to MK and also from BC/BW and EPCOT. They also have monorail/boats for those resorts but the walks are longer than this appears to be.

From a pure immersion standpoint what would be worse, a bus or a walkway?
Maybe they could take you over in some kind of wheeled transport?
Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 1.22.01 PM.png

Hopefully not in shackles.

Of course, the vehicle would cost at least a couple of million to build and who knows how much to maintain and operate. And I'm assuming the blasters won't be functional. I'm guessing it would cost at least $100 per guest per day.

Last edited:
Connection from the Star Wars Resort to Galaxys edge could be achieved by doing something similar to Hogwarts express at Universal. Setup a monorail connection from the resort to the park. Use screens in there to make you believe you are going from space to planet etc and vice versa on the way back. Small station at the back of Galaxys Edge could be built to accommodate this nicely.

Movielover

Connection from the Star Wars Resort to Galaxys edge could be achieved by doing something similar to Hogwarts express at Universal. Setup a monorail connection from the resort to the park. Use screens in there to make you believe you are going from space to planet etc and vice versa on the way back. Small station at the back of Galaxys Edge could be built to accommodate this nicely.

By golly why didn't any of us think of this???????

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It’s a really short walk. They have a walking path from CR to MK and also from BC/BW and EPCOT. They also have monorail/boats for those resorts but the walks are longer than this appears to be.

From a pure immersion standpoint what would be worse, a bus or a walkway?

The walk from SWR to SWL (assuming a direct elevated walkway) is about 900 feet.

The walk from the Contemporary to MK is 1,300 feet.
Better duck, because here comes the inevitable "yes, but..."

People aren't paying HUGE SUMS OF MONEY to stay at the CR or Epcot Area hotels for immersive IP-based experiences claiming to offer seamless connections to a HUGELY POPULAR IP-based land.

ETA: I would accept a short walk only under two conditions: (a) the walkway into SW:GE is covered and appropriately themed to resemble some kind of "secret entrance" into GE (i.e., utility corridors or back alleyways), and (b) the entrance to that path at the hotel is gated by a transition experience like a simulator shuttle ride, or Star Trek-like teleportation device with appropriate special effects to make the clean break between the hotel-"ship" and the SW:GE part of the immersive experience.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom