News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

thepirateking

They said every window in the "hotel" would look out at space. The obvious way to accomplish that would be 4k screens for every window. But, it would be really cool if the whole hotel building was inside a giant shell that afforded an actual view into a space backdrop. Sort of like looking at the dome of SSE. It would have to be really huge to accomplish that though.

Another thought I had was that it might be possible to have "boutique" attractions within the resort. I'm thinking VR or even small pods for flight simulators or manning the laser turrets against an attack. That would be really cool.

deix15x8

Do we have any idea of the true meaning of the Disney 360 terminology? If you look at the Skyway announcement they used the same term with regards to that. Is this just a Disney marketing term for an increased effort to keep the magic around at all times, aka not stepping on a nasty bus.

tl77

They said every window in the "hotel" would look out at space. The obvious way to accomplish that would be 4k screens for every window. But, it would be really cool if the whole hotel building was inside a giant shell that afforded an actual view into a space backdrop. Sort of like looking at the dome of SSE. It would have to be really huge to accomplish that though.

Another thought I had was that it might be possible to have "boutique" attractions within the resort. I'm thinking VR or even small pods for flight simulators or manning the laser turrets against an attack. That would be really cool.

This Star Wars Hotel sounds like a a cross between a Disney Cruise Ship type experience... and dare I say... a 5th gate? but if you're going to be "aboard the star ship" for a few days I think you right that they would have to provide some type of boutique attractions and stuff for people to do.

This sounds like the "ultimate up-charge" to me though, and I'm not a big fan of these "immersive environment" type attractions, I'd rather have the old fashioned AA rides with catchy songs, I like a little entertainment value over instead of these huge fake landscapes that seem to be all the rage lately

ItlngrlBella

I'll be one of many Rey's walking around. ;)

On second thought, Padme has some fantastic costumes.. and I wouldn't be stuck in the same one for 3 days.lol

I think it's great guests will be able to cosplay... except for this guy:

IMG_3555.JPG

SoupBone

So most people think it's going to be an immersive environment that basically encourages you to stay all (however many) days on that specific site?

bclane

So most people think it's going to be an immersive environment that basically encourages you to stay all (however many) days on that specific site?
I think the idea is that you spend much of your days in the parks and have special privileges in SW:GE for being a resort guest but that when you are in the resort you will be immersed in Star Wars with lots of exclusive activities/missions/adventures/whatevers. I don't think they are planning for people to be in there 24 hours a day.though.

mm121

I'm just trying to think of being indoors for 3 nights. We did not leave the hotel once during our 3 night GWL stay.. but at least you have a balcony in your room..and in the pool area you feel like you aren't completely inside...even though you are.
Does that make sense?

Being totally inside without seeing the outside for more than 3 days may freak me out.
Wait, you'd probably still go to DHS though, right?

maybe nighttime exclusive access to dhs, otherwise you'd be leaving the "theme" if your mixing with regular park guests

to really make something like this work there really needs to be costumes for guests

mm121

not sure how they intend it, but i think leaving and going to the parks kinda ruins the immersion

would be cool to go on a "space mission" where you feel like your actually leaving earth for a few days

though really would take some serious creativity and money to make something like that really work and be fun

would be bad to feel "trapped"

Sir_Cliff

not sure how they intend it, but i think leaving and going to the parks kinda ruins the immersion

would be cool to go on a "space mission" where you feel like your actually leaving earth for a few days

though really would take some serious creativity and money to make something like that really work and be fun

would be bad to feel "trapped"
I must admit this is not an appealing vacation concept for me, but I do understand why others would be excited.

Best I can figure, people will live out a fairly self-contained vacation within the hotel for at least a portion of their time which, presumably, doesn't involve getting on a bus at 7am for EMH at the Magic Kingdom & dinner reservations at Jiko. That is unless they're overplaying this whole idea of total immersion.

It seems to me like the role playing fun would wear off pretty quickly and people would get restless to hit the parks. Again, though, I was never the target demographic for this.

Fizban257

Here is how I imagine the concept will work:

The hotel is a starship and you book a "cruise" from Earth to the Galaxy's Edge. When you "arrive" you experience the spaceport there and then reboard the "ship" for your return home. It would be a three or four day experience where you are completely immersed in the Star Wars universe and the staff of the "ship" remain in character throughout.

They are already setting up the Galaxy's Edge part of the park as sort of a Star Wars rennaisance festival where the cast members are in character the whole time — this is an extreme extension of that.

It would be great if your excursion to Galaxy's Edge was somehow exclusive to the guests on your "cruise" but I am not sure how they would manage that around the general public demand to be in the new section of DHS. Would extra magic hours allow for enough time for the "cruise" guests to experience the space port? Will the "cruise" guests feel slighted that they have to share the space port with regular guests? Will the rest of the park be open to "cruise" guests during their excursion (it would detract from the Star Wars immersion)?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom