News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

_caleb

Universal manages to put on 4 live shows several times a day in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, despite the small size of those lands and the huge number of people who visit. It adds so much life to those areas.
Since they’re committed to the idea of timeline-specific immersion, I would like to see them add “streetmosphere” rather than shows. If they want entertainment, they could maybe add a droid or alien busker or something. Otherwise, I’d like to see people bustling about, interacting with one another, etc.

Similar to some of what we see at Avengers Campus at DCA….

Incomudro

Since they’re committed to the idea of timeline-specific immersion, I would like to see them add “streetmosphere” rather than shows. If they want entertainment, they could maybe add a droid or alien busker or something. Otherwise, I’d like to see people bustling about, interacting with one another, etc.

When I mentioned show, I was really talking about streetmosphere rather than staged productions.
I think it would be great to have some character actors haggle around the shops, and do similar things that make the place look lived in.

TP2000

Here's how this is now being reported way out west as of early February, via one of the most infamous (yes, I know how to use that word correctly) Disney watchers in journalism, Brady McDonald. It's not flattering for Burbank or Glendale.

Which begs the question, is there really any difference between Burbank and Glendale any more?
Besides about 5 miles of the Ventura Freeway, of course.

"Walt Disney World’s highly hyped Star Wars hotel that debuted to months of sold out “voyages” has seen demand cool so dramatically that the Florida theme park giant has been forced to offer steep discounts on the pricey experience and cancel dates in the middle of summer."

Last edited:

_caleb

Here's how this is now being reported way out west as of early February, via one of the most infamous (yes, I know how to use that word correctly) Disney watchers in journalism, Brady McDonald. It's not flattering for Burbank or Glendale.

Which begs the question, is there really any difference between Burbank and Glendale any more?
Besides about 5 miles of the Ventura Freeway, of course.

"Walt Disney World’s highly hyped Star Wars hotel that debuted to months of sold out “voyages” has seen demand cool so dramatically that the Florida theme park giant has been forced to offer steep discounts on the pricey experience and cancel dates in the middle of summer."
*raises the question

Hawg G

Why has no one thought about keeping the price, but changing it to a 3 day cruise? You can redo bridge training, of saber training. Do more side stories, drink more alcohol...

_caleb

Why has no one thought about keeping the price, but changing it to a 3 day cruise? You can redo bridge training, of saber training. Do more side stories, drink more alcohol...
I would imagine adding a day (they'd have to extend and rewrite the narrative) would add signifiant operating costs.

Also, the quality of the space seems like it would be even more of a factor if they had guests lounging about rather than running around on side quests.

kingdead

I would imagine adding a day (they'd have to extend and rewrite the narrative) would add signifiant operating costs.

Also, the quality of the space seems like it would be even more of a factor if they had guests lounging about rather than running around on side quests.
How was the quality of the space? I know it's small but is the build decent?

J4546

Yeah GE would greatly benefit from more actors and droids walking about. I hope they add more. They just added the bounty hunting game so they are def still working on adding to GE.

Avengers Campus has been adding more and more to the point where whenever you walk around that area you always see a marvel character or 2 or 3 etc.... when Avengers Campus adds its major anchor attraction that area will be legit.

Hawg G

That says a lot about why it’s failing if it can’t hold up to another day. Throw in another park day too, just DHS.

No need to change the story, just draw it out some. Clearly the story as is ain’t working. It’s not like they can screw it up.

corran horn

That says a lot about why it’s failing if it can’t hold up to another day. Throw in another park day too, just DHS.

No need to change the story, just draw it out some. Clearly the story as is ain’t working. It’s not like they can screw it up.
They didn't design it for another day. "clearly".

SplashJacket

I just don't understand it. Even just bringing it down to $2,000 for a family of 4 and I think alot more people would be on board. Yes it's still expensive, but I think it atleast drops it down to the level of semi affordable, especially for a once in a life time experience.

My kids are obsessed with Rey & the new movies, they would absolutely love this, there's just no way I can justify dropping $5k+ on a day and a half worth of entertainment.
I would probably do it at that price. If it's $2000 for 4 people, split four ways is $500. Escape rooms near me are $45 a person for an hour, so I could definitely see it priced that way including food, lodging, and much greater depth.

Pricing for a family though is where it kind of falls apart, which is kind of interesting that its not more targeted towards an older audience.

SplashJacket

I do like people saying this has failed/is failing when we have absolutely zero idea what the break-even point is per voyage/long run, or the operating expenses.

Currently, we know their revenue on a full cruise, and how colossal that figure is if applied throughout the year.

We also know it has very little supply, and that the main restrictor to demand is undoubtedly the price.

There's a price point that would fill up every single cruise throughout the year (and I argue it's still a pretty penny), and if its within their profitability, there's not a chance they would close this.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they transition to longer, cheaper per-day cruises, or variances in length of stay/stories.

New cruise ships often get put on the 3-4 day itineraries as they're cash cows. Most ships can operate at around 50% capacity and still turn a profit, and on those early cash-cow cruises, with inflated prices due to a ship's novelty, they're printing money. They could've tried to capture that with the short cruises and novel experience, and will eventually transition to more standard pricing.

Or it could actually be a failure, but hard to know outside of pure speculation.

corran horn

I do like people saying this has failed/is failing when we have absolutely zero idea what the break-even point is per voyage/long run, or the operating expenses.
*if* they cut the price of the experience itself (not the hotels before/after) then I'd say that's something. If they cut a storyline/character (bbye Sandro?) or the quality of the meals I'd say that's something. If they shut down seasonally that's something.

There have been tiny things (the gold medallion/coins used to be for everyone, then for captain's table only, then for handout-gifts for special times) that I've only heard anecdotally and may not even be accurate.

Right now I can't imagine looking at bookings and trying to figure out if it's succeeding or not. Why bother when there are other things that'd clearly be better diagnostics?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom