News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Bottom line is it's not a failure until Disney says it is.

If/when they think is not profitable enough for them, they will close it so quick it will make your head spin.

People must be crazy to think that Disney would keep something losing money -- and which has no hope of ever becoming profitable (again) -- running.

Stock price would take a hit if they acknowledged something wasn’t going well.

Edit: although they did ride that wave with Disney + when explaining chapek’s departure.

Nevermind.

Conspiracy theory powers activated!!

Drdcm

People must be crazy to think that Disney would keep something losing money -- and which has no hope of ever becoming profitable (again) -- running.

Nevermind.

I thought they acknowledged that he made the board uncomfortable with his positivity about Disney +. Not trying to promote a conspiracy theory if untrue. You seem to know a lot about this kind of stuff, so I’m happy to defer to you

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I thought they acknowledged that he made the board uncomfortable with his positivity about Disney +. Not trying to promote a conspiracy theory if untrue. You seem to know a lot about this kind of stuff, so I’m happy to defer to you
Yes, he was too cheery with regard to D+ having a bigger loss than expected for the quarter.

But other divisions (barring closed Asian parks) weren't throwing any such losses.

And the company as a whole profited billions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Nevermind.

I absolutely don’t think they’d tolerate a loss…

But the stock battle right now is poor timing for really ANY problems…if it settles down…then I’d expect to see more clarity. That could be moves with this or digging in.

Last edited:

Drdcm

Yes, he was too cheery with regard to D+ having a bigger loss than expected for the quarter.

But other divisions (barring closed Asian parks) weren't throwing any such losses.

And the company as a whole profited billions.
I really don’t see how my statement warrants a conspiracy theory label then.

Either way, thank you for clarifying. I’m in agreement with your statement that they continue to be profitable.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I really don’t see how my statement warrants a conspiracy theory label then.

Either way, thank you for clarifying. I’m in agreement with your statement that they continue to be profitable.
It was the part about keeping it a secret if it was unprofitable to soothe investors and the stock market.

Secrets like that can really bite them on the butt if a disaffected employee lets the secret out. Not worth the risk.

Drdcm

It was the part about keeping it a secret if it was unprofitable to soothe investors and the stock market.

Secrets like that can really bite them on the butt if a disaffected employee lets the secret out. Not worth the risk.
Sorry, really don’t want to extend this further, so I promise this is my last post about this. I take labels and accusations seriously and try to be careful when saying things because I also hate conspiracy theories.

I never said they were keeping secrets. You maybe extrapolated that from my statement. I said that the stock price falls when they announce things aren’t going well, and then provided an exception to my statement in an edit when the stock price increase again after chapeks firing and acknowledging Disney + was less profitable than expected.

Vegas Disney Fan

Remember the Disney Institute? I think it was where Saratoga Springs Resort is now.

It was probably very good, it just was not a money maker, so they shut it down.

Was Disney Quest a money loser OR did it simply not make the margins they wanted?

I do miss Disney Quest.

Or the NBA experience, they sunk a small fortune into that place, closed it shortly thereafter due to Covid, and chose to let it sit empty for the last couple years rather than reopen it.

If something isn’t profitable Disney has no problem closing it and writing it off as a loss.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I believe you’ve seen my comment on the likelihood of sociopathy in Iger, but I’ll let that rest. Again, I have not sat down to diagnose him, so cannot say with certainty.
I tried to make small talk with him once for 10 seconds at a mixer at boardwalk once…
It was forgettable

…the diagnosis came from afar much later 😎

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Or the NBA experience, they sunk a small fortune into that place, closed it shortly thereafter due to Covid, and chose to let it sit empty for the last couple years rather than reopen it.

If something isn’t profitable Disney has no problem closing it and writing it off as a loss.
You think that was because it wasn’t profitable? Or because they knew that in the first place after they vastly overpaid ($3,000,000,000) for the last contract and needed to make a show of it?
It was a perfect out.

Riverboat Bob got taken alot in deals after 10/31/12

lazyboy97o

The NBA Experience was not a Disney driven project. The NBA paid Disney to operate it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom