News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

GimpYancIent

I'm interested to hear what the source of "some voyages are only at 25%."

I don't deny that that may be the case.

And it's clear they aren't filling up like they used to.

BUT... how many voyages are only at 25%? Are ten percent of voyages at 25%? Fifty percent? Ninety percent?

If one doesn't know the answer to that question, then one doesn't know exactly how the Starcruiser is doing financially.

If a cruise is only 25% filled, that's $125,000 for the two nights. Is that enough to make that cruise profitable? And if it isn't, what about all the two-night cruises that are only 50% filled? That's $250,000 per cruise. Is that enough to make that cruise profitable?

I don't know. I doubt anyone here knows.
At 25% Disney is still making bank! The powers that be are working hard to drive it down to 0% and shutter the place.

kingdead

I guess you’re saying this because it’s just generally true of all business decisions? Because I don’t think it’s actually true in the case of the Starcruiser.

Have you done the Starcruiser experience, or are you saying this based on a video you’ve seen? Because you know how misdirection works—in-person it can be much more effective than on a video where you’re looking for it (or the camera is trained on it).

And this is exactly what the concept is exploring. Why not take all the folks who want to “play along” and let them do that out of the way of those who don’t care about it all (and charge them obscene amounts of money to do it)? If the price comes down, maybe more people will try it. If the current trend continues, many who try it will be pleased—many will be pleasantly surprised by how much fun it is.
A lot of people like to play along--for a limited amount of time. Just seeing a droid or a stormtrooper walking around is fun and adds that theme park magic for those who are shy or otherwise uninterested in a direct conversation with a cast member. If you like, you can have a short conversation and take a picture.

Maybe someone with more of an interest in roleplay could take a "guided tour" with a Resistance/Jedi/First Order guide, and that could be an upsell. Or there could be a sit down restaurant with a Jabba's Palace or Canto Bight vibe with a dinner show.

I know there are some stage shows and there's Savi's, but it just seems like there's really not a lot of effort put in for people who want to come and maybe play along for an hour or an afternoon, but don't have the interest for a whole day and a half.

RunningKoen

BUT... how many voyages are only at 25%? Are ten percent of voyages at 25%? Fifty percent? Ninety percent?

If one doesn't know the answer to that question, then one doesn't know exactly how the Starcruiser is doing financially.

If a cruise is only 25% filled, that's $125,000 for the two nights. Is that enough to make that cruise profitable? And if it isn't, what about all the two-night cruises that are only 50% filled? That's $250,000 per cruise. Is that enough to make that cruise profitable?

Being ‘just’ profitable isn’t going to be enough for this specific resort, I guess.

This isn’t one of the other resorts at parts of the property with room to spare. I’m no expert but it looks like this plot of land might be used to ’expand’ or be more beneficial to the studios in whatever kind of way. And what profit can such change make?

Joel

I know, but part of this has been an experiment to see if people would pay extra for the live/interactive stuff and still enjoy the land without it. Some people love streetmosphere and characters, and some absolutely hate it. This is why they do character meet and greets in designated locations like they do now instead of just walking around like they used to.
There are probably several reasons why you unfortunately can't randomly stumble upon characters throughout the parks like you used to be able to (and still can in Disneyland!). I doubt that appeasing people who inexplicably visit WDW despite getting violently ill at the sight of characters as they fast walk from Mine Train to Haunted Mansion is one of them.

And Starcruiser existing because Disney wanted to experiment with (aka "profit from") how much they could cut from the original plans for Galaxy's Edge without disappointing guests is big part of the problem. Literally no one was complaining merely because Disney was trying something new or ambitious. If that's the lesson Disney leadership takes away from this, that's just more evidence they need to be replaced.

_caleb

And Starcruiser existing because Disney wanted to experiment with (aka "profit from") how much they could cut from the original plans for Galaxy's Edge without disappointing guests is big part of the problem. Literally no one was complaining merely because Disney was trying something new or ambitious. If that's the lesson Disney leadership takes away from this, that's just more evidence they need to be replaced.
If any Disney decision-makers are reading these forums, what do you think their takeaway would be?

Because my takeaway from most threads here is: “We love what we selectively remember Disney being in the past, no matter what Disney does well complain, but we’ll keep giving you our money regardless.”

I really appreciate the members here who at least try to engage in good-faith discussions and offer some thoughtful analysis.

Rich Brownn

The Fantastic Beasts land definitely won't have the same underlying draw as Diagon Alley/Hogsmeade, so it's going to require something more. It'll be interesting to see what they do with it.

Of course, they should just be building Hogwarts. It's kind of crazy that they aren't. That would be an even bigger draw than Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade.
The land is set in FB but the ride is not. It takes place post-Deathly Hallows. Not sure how they will explain how we go from 1920s Paris to the British MoM in the 1990s-ish era.

celluloid

It works today, because we’re used to it. My family used to spend every Sunday at Knott’s Berry farm. Entrance to the park was free until 1968, when they started charging $0.25 to enter the lands inside the railroad loop. That was Knott’s leveraging the built-up demand they had created by delivering a (mixed-bag) of themed entertainment.
Many here are well aware Disney is trying to reinvent the wheel of what has already been done, It is not working for them as well, again. Charging a full admission ticket for a large operation works better than individually. It is not a dessert party enhancement to your day. The Starcruiser is trying to operate like a hotel and a theme park at the same time and with a small group it cost too much than what people are willing to pay and what you get out of it. That is why every major theme park has changed to it. If there was more money the old ticket book way, they would have stuck to it. It is all the same parent company, and it sells the entertainment as one big price and makes the most money that way.

If Disney charged a small admission and then charged per ticket at various levels like they used to, they would not make as much money, hence why that practice ended for all major theme parks once they developed. '

LSLS

If any Disney decision-makers are reading these forums, what do you think their takeaway would be?

Because my takeaway from most threads here is: “We love what we selectively remember Disney being in the past, no matter what Disney does well complain, but we’ll keep giving you our money regardless.”

I really appreciate the members here who at least try to engage in good-faith discussions and offer some thoughtful analysis.

That's not true. Again, go look at something like the kona thread. People love it. Even the people here you think are nothing but negative. You want people to praise disney for taking what was ANNOUNCED as included with the parks and putting it behind a $6k pay wall as trying something different.

Sure, they could take away the lesson of why try. But, if they are having attendance issues as reported, I dont think thats a smart lesson to take away.

_caleb

That's not true.
What about my post is not true? Everything I wrote is my opinion!
You want people to praise disney for taking what was ANNOUNCED as included with the parks and putting it behind a $6k pay wall as trying something different.
No, I don’t.
Sure, they could take away the lesson of why try. But, if they are having attendance issues as reported, I dont think thats a smart lesson to take away.
Ok. Me, either.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Being ‘just’ profitable isn’t going to be enough for this specific resort, I guess.

This isn’t one of the other resorts at parts of the property with room to spare. I’m no expert but it looks like this plot of land might be used to ’expand’ or be more beneficial to the studios in whatever kind of way. And what profit can such change make?
And how do you know if it's "just profitable" or not? Do you know the full extent of their expenses?

Also, being a little profitable is still profitable. Killing off a property that is profitable because it's not as profitable only works if you have a sure-fire replacement that will definitely be much more profitable and worth the expense of razing the old profit center and building the new one.

Also, also... there are some levers left to pull, such as lowering the cost. It may not then be as profitable, but it can keep the profits going.

lazyboy97o

To me, a good comparison will be what they do with the Fantastic Beasts land, since this is essentially the WWoHP’s Prequel Trilogy. Disney basically started with this sort of approach, a land/Starcruiser set in the era they’re currently producing and hoping to promote.
Except Warner Bros. wouldn’t allow a Fantastic Beasts only land which is why it has a Harry Potter ride.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree! I do expect that at least somebody at Universal is watching the Starcruiser experiment with a Hogwarts overnight experience in mind. Can you imagine the comments in that thread? “They make you go to Defense Against the Dark Arts class? I’m on vacation, I don’t want to spend it going to school!”
The potter angle would line up much better than what Disney is working with.

Potter was gender neutral…it’s not an “action” series…it doesn’t defy gravity ALL the time..
It had adults and kids/teens in equal doses.

That concept works much better. Just as the wand and hood plays out more evenly every day at UOR…

And I think instead of regimented start and stop times…you could “roll” it seven days a week…have thing that aren’t linear like the classes at hogwarts…a quidditch thing…beast encounters. Have an interior courtyard where you can do a celebration show in the air (they missed out on something like that down the road)…

So if somebody wanted to repeat something they liked a day or two longer…then so be it. Flexibility in show.

Hell…could ever have a pool under like a cool fiber optic dome…like astronomy tower to do “downtime”.
And of course…vip drops and express pass to the rides…because you can

A plan is forming

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Nah, having Darth, flanked by Stormtroopers, walk down the halls at night telling everyone it is time to go to their cells wouldn’t add anything. Especially with the Imperal March playing ever so quietly in his presence.
So simple it could work. I don’t suppose putting an advanced video game on steroid simulator to let people fly would work either? Like the “flight deck” with an adult friendly/ food service “pilots lounge” with cool memorabilia outside?

Nah…too stupid

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

As far as revenue goes…I can tell you that 20 years ago a Moderate down the road would generate around 200,000 in revenue per night. A deluxe would generate that or slightly more a night.

It’s actually math…$100 a night x 2000 rooms equals $200,000.
Yep…I’m talking caribbean ( and Dixie and Coronado at that time)

So much larger overhead…and that revenue didn’t make “profit” anyway…

But 20 years ago.

As far as how booked the thing is now? We don’t know and they won’t tell us.

So the most logical sitch is that they were running between 25 and 75% each block…and closed down the slow ones and shunted whoever booked them into the big block to get it to 90% if they can. That means 0% midweek and maybe 80% on the weekends. Totally occupancy probably 50-60% at most at those times?

My amazing experience knowing inventory control, revenue control, wdw ops and specifically resort ops allows me to get in the ballpark.

But don’t tell LuvGoof or I’ll get lectured for having the audacity of experience 😙

But there’s no definitive number. So 90% every day and they really are closing to paint fingerprints off the walls 🙄 is a stance one can take

As is it’s 10-25% and flat 6 months out and they’ll have to fake the fire Marshall shutting it down to save face.

We don’t know. Signs aren’t good. And that’s just because I was a CM above frontline 25 years ago talking…which is worthless.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You know…back to a hogwarts role play…

It’s a better idea the more you think about it…universal has more varied/affordable hotels and will be building more…allowing them to entice to differ income levels a “land and sea” type combo for a week to a wider audience. 3 nights at potter…4 at cabana bay.

And express pass as a sweetener…cause it’s great and since it isn’t sold to high levels…the influx can be handled with out mine train and slinky log jams with a few hundred rooms Coming from hogwarts.

And they are building large amounts of new capacity anyway…so crowd crunch may ease for the medium term.

Get Rowlings on the phone!!

_caleb

The potter angle would line up much better than what Disney is working with.

Potter was gender neutral…it’s not an “action” series…it doesn’t defy gravity ALL the time..
It had adults and kids/teens in equal doses.

That concept works much better. Just as the wand and hood plays out more evenly every day at UOR…

And I think instead of regimented start and stop times…you could “roll” it seven days a week…have thing that aren’t linear like the classes at hogwarts…a quidditch thing…beast encounters. Have an interior courtyard where you can do a celebration show in the air (they missed out on something like that down the road)…

So if somebody wanted to repeat something they liked a day or two longer…then so be it. Flexibility in show.

Hell…could ever have a pool under like a cool fiber optic dome…like astronomy tower to do “downtime”.
And of course…vip drops and express pass to the rides…because you can

A plan is forming
I was totally with you until the pool part. You just HAD to mention a pool…

Too soon, Sir Walter, too soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom