News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

OceanBlue

Another week and only two more sold out dates.

At this rate, the second week of September will start to be cruises that aren't regularly sold out.
That’s the first weeks of school for the northeast and beyond, also the traditional lowest rack rate and I think DVC point charts. I would love to travel then for that reason but can’t with school age kids.

corran horn

At this rate, the second week of September will start to be cruises that aren't regularly sold out.
not my money, but I wonder if this isn't something that should only be open seasonally.

Maybe they'll give price breaks for off-season cruises.

mmascari

I'm guessing a renewed advertising campaign first.

Then discounts. The margins are obviously very high and can be adjusted downward.
I'm assuming we have no idea if the "not sold out" is just a few rooms, lots of rooms, or most of the rooms.

I'm also assuming we have no idea what the minimum occupancy percent is to "break even" or "get the minimum profit desired" out of a cruise.

While I would love a discounted price, somehow I have a feeling that "not sold out" isn't going to be a good measure of how close to that minimum desired profit cruises are running at.

We'll know that it's increased from just a few rooms to closer to that level as the advertising ramps up (or not).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm assuming we have no idea if the "not sold out" is just a few rooms, lots of rooms, or most of the rooms.

I'm also assuming we have no idea what the minimum occupancy percent is to "break even" or "get the minimum profit desired" out of a cruise.

While I would love a discounted price, somehow I have a feeling that "not sold out" isn't going to be a good measure of how close to that minimum desired profit cruises are running at.

We'll know that it's increased from just a few rooms to closer to that level as the advertising ramps up (or not).
It's true we don't know how many rooms are sold or not sold for the dates that aren't sold out.

However... the rate of dates selling out has drastically changed, especially for cruises that launch in the next three months. That is a piece of data we do have.

While it's possible that cruises are still being sold at the rate they were back in March and April and they are just so happened to be spread through all the other dates... it's not likely.

mmascari

It's true we don't know how many rooms are sold or not sold for the dates that aren't sold out.

However... the rate of dates selling out has drastically changed, especially for cruises that launch in the next three months. That is a piece of data we do have.

While it's possible that cruises are still being sold at the rate they were back in March and April and they are just so happened to be spread through all the other dates... it's not likely.
I'm not doubting they're selling less, that's clearly correct.

I'm just not sure it's enough less to get the discounts many of us would want.

If they drop from 100% full to 90% full for all cruises, that may be more than enough for them to call it effectively full enough. There's clearly some level of full that would be low enough to drive discounting the price. We just don't know what it is. If it's 85% or 60% or all the way down at 40% full.

Do we know what a typical real Disney cruise would be considered full enough? I presume not every ship leaves port 100% occupied. How low does it have to get for them to discount rooms? Do they tend to just discount limited times with short notice? Have they ever had an actual ship cancel a cruise because not enough was sold on it and how low was that number?

I would love for them to discount the price, since I'm not likely to find budget space at the current price. But, I'll be surprised if that happens before the first year anniversary. Maybe in year 2 or 3 I'll have something to look forward to.

corran horn

cruises definitely discount during the school year, for example.

As a new thing I'm sure this came in waves. Early adopters who jumped on right away. People who dgaf what time of year it is/was. (we were sort of in that group, though ours ended up on Memorial Day weekend oddly enough). People who can only do Summer. Then it'd taper down from there I'd say.

Some people probably started saving when they first heard about it and will trickle in through the coming months.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No

Then discounts. The margins are obviously very high and can be adjusted downward.
So they could do with a marketing blitz on this. I honestly forgot this existed until today when I saw on the other site that they had their first fire drill and found my way back here to see what the story was.

Point is I’m a big Star Wars fan and follow Disney news daily. If I can be blissfully unaware that this exists idk if it’s being marketed correctly. And sure maybe I’m not the correct audience (ie I don’t go the money to spend on this) but there is plenty of places at Disney to stay or special things to do that I can’t afford and I know they are there and Disney makes me aware of their existence but this has really flown under the radar. I almost feel that even if I am not their target audience they are not doing anything to make me day dream about going, like I’m not saving my change to have the once in a lifetime Star Wars adventure, because most days I don’t even remember that this exists that should be concerning to them.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
You have to remember it is also currently only being directly marketed at the US for now so they will get to a saturation point eventually until they start marketing for everywhere else.

GimpYancIent

Yeah, let Disney marketing have another crack at an advertising campaign, really. A restructuring of the pricing model (downward to actually reasonable prices) and there will definitely be a renewed interest in the experience. Discounts? On what? Just don't let marketing generate another campaign.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Rate of sold out dates picked up a tiny bit. Three more than last week. At this rate, it will be the end of September that they start to cruise without being sold out (barring any last minute cancellations).
Has there been a situation yet where a cruise went without being sold out (according to the calendar) or has every date been booked solid since the start? Sorry if this has been answered like I said above I am playing catch up.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Has there been a situation yet where a cruise went without being sold out (according to the calendar) or has every date been booked solid since the start? Sorry if this has been answered like I said above I am playing catch up.
I think the calendar showed one sold-out date as the 'departure' came. But, that's almost certainly a last minute-cancellation. It's not like that date had been open for weeks. Sold out dates regularly become open, and then quickly sold out again. All you need is one COVID positive test...

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
I think the calendar showed one sold-out date as the 'departure' came. But, that's almost certainly a last minute-cancellation. It's not like that date had been open for weeks. Sold out dates regularly become open, and then quickly sold out again. All you need is one COVID positive test...
Thanks, yes this is what I was asking. Obviously your not aware of any last minute cancellations, or if someone fails to show. I was just wondering if there was any random date that either sold out then reopened and never sold out or just never sold out and remained open to departure time. Thanks again!

Hawg G

Rate of sold out dates picked up a tiny bit. Three more than last week. At this rate, it will be mid-October that they start to cruise without being sold out (barring any last minute cancellations).
It is now to the point that outside of the weekend cruise (F-S, or S-M), there really aren't many sold out once September comes. Heck, there is an opening for the cruise that starts in two days!

Pretty stunning more October dates aren't sold out.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
It is now to the point that outside of the weekend cruise (F-S, or S-M), there really aren't many sold out once September comes. Heck, there is an opening for the cruise that starts in two days!

Pretty stunning more October dates aren't sold out.
The number of sold out dates is holding just a tad bit less than steady. For about every four cruises that takes place there are only three new fully-booked rooms.

So, eventually, there will be a cruise that isn't sold out (not counting last minute cancellations due to COVID).

It's hard to see that with them being spread out. But Christmas week suddenly picked up a bunch of sold out dates.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom