News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

MoonRakerSCM

its like they rented trucks for uhaul for this lol. This is sooo much worse and cheap than a bus lol
I'm personally curious about the uhauls... IF done correctly, anything can be converted into the perfect ride vehicle (key word being if). That being said... this thing doesn't look like it has been modded too much... what is it going to sound like in the rain? Not that it ever rains or downpours in Florida...

Do these vehicles have 'windows' in them looking out into space? It works pretty well on the RotR transport.

Padraig

The more I think about it, the more I think about how neat an indoor pool with a massive star field view would be like (ala Space 220 but on the ceiling). Could float in the pool and watch the stars...

I think you're on to something there. But instead of it just being above you, how about the exterior is all around you. Like a floating glass box in space. It'd be a challenge and small (pools on cruise ships tend to be tiny besides) but it'd be something different. I'm sure an older Disney would have achieved it rather than the current management's half arsed approach to everything.

Artful_Dodger

When rides break down and need evac... does the story continue or does everything go back to real world, with no fake stories, sets, etc?

I think you know the answer to this...
Though you gotta admit, that would be hilarious if Disney had a strict, never break character or story policy.

Imagine CMs evacuating guests from POTC, but having to communicate the entire time in pirate speak.

Artful_Dodger

IF done correctly, anything can be converted into the perfect ride vehicle
Next stop, Batuu.
13122a.gif

Midwest Elitist

I think you're on to something there. But instead of it just being above you, how about the exterior is all around you. Like a floating glass box in space. It'd be a challenge and small (pools on cruise ships tend to be tiny besides) but it'd be something different. I'm sure an older Disney would have achieved it rather than the current management's half arsed approach to everything.
They could pepper's ghost the stars surrounding you.

jinx8402

Are you paying 6 grand to ride that bus? If you are, I'll come down there and drive you around in a 2015 Explorer for half that price and you'll have it all to yourself.

Also, the itinerary looks lame as can be. It seriously looks like the lineup of events I'd expect to see at a local anime/comic convention.
Honestly, what are you going on about? You realize you are talking about a 5-10 minute trip between the resort and the park. Of course no one is paying 6 grand to ride a bus. It's a baked in cost like every other bus from resort to the park.

Again, what does that have to do with what the guest will experience if it was this box truck or bus if they are both themed to the same standards? That is acknowledging that that standard could be sub par of expectations with what we have seen so far from this project.

techgeek

On RotR, the first shuttle you board is just a box on a very big turntable. The outside you see doesn't move at all, it's just a facade.

Everyone's favorite, the Hydrolator, was just a box that didn't go anywhere.

Hydrolator is kind of more like the stretching room in that it didn’t physically move. The RotR shuttle (and Hogwarts Express) both incorporate audio and visual effects that are tightly coordinated with the real motion of their ride bases, selling the experience.

There’s a whole ‘nother level of complexity and processing power if you break the ride box off of a tightly controlled motion base like a simulator and put it on a cast member driven vehicle. Not to say it can’t be done, but for this transport to get into a believable fighter battle on its way to the planet would take a lot more effort then this box truck showing up at the 11th hour would seem to indicate.

So the question is… is this transport a ‘ride’, a selling point of the experience and important story moment in the greater context, or is it just a way to get guests over to the park in a themed environment? Everything I’ve seen about it from concept art (no large viewport screens or animatronic pilots..) to the marketing (which sells a card game more then this) seems to indicate this is just a themed box that takes you from A to B and back again. I’m presuming there will be some audio to drown out the diesel engine you’re sitting next to, and maybe a video ‘briefing’ about your port of call, but I fear that’s going to be it.

I’m interested in reports from the whole experience, but at this point there’s becoming fewer and fewer unknowns. The transport to the park and the initial transport to ship experience are some of the few things Disney hasn’t showed their hand on yet. Hopefully there’s more here than meets the eye, because what we are seeing is… wow. And not the good wow.

durangojim

Hydrolator is kind of more like the stretching room in that it didn’t physically move. The RotR shuttle (and Hogwarts Express) both incorporate audio and visual effects that are tightly coordinated with the real motion of their ride bases, selling the experience.

There’s a whole ‘nother level of complexity and processing power if you break the ride box off of a tightly controlled motion base like a simulator and put it on a cast member driven vehicle. Not to say it can’t be done, but for this transport to get into a believable fighter battle on its way to the planet would take a lot more effort then this box truck showing up at the 11th hour would seem to indicate.

So the question is… is this transport a ‘ride’, a selling point of the experience and important story moment in the greater context, or is it just a way to get guests over to the park in a themed environment? Everything I’ve seen about it from concept art (no large viewport screens or animatronic pilots..) to the marketing (which sells a card game more then this) seems to indicate this is just a themed box that takes you from A to B and back again. I’m presuming there will be some audio to drown out the diesel engine you’re sitting next to, and maybe a video ‘briefing’ about your port of call, but I fear that’s going to be it.

I’m interested in reports from the whole experience, but at this point there’s becoming fewer and fewer unknowns. The transport to the park and the initial transport to ship experience are some of the few things Disney hasn’t showed their hand on yet. Hopefully there’s more here than meets the eye, because what we are seeing is… wow. And not the good wow.
The other thing that concerns me is that there is a good possibility if what you're seeing on the screens doesn't match up with the movement and turns the truck is making, quite a few people will get motion sick, ie truck is turning left but screen shows going straight or turning right.

prberk

Do we know if this box truck will be backing into the loading bay? I ask because, if it will, there is also the real-world need for the unmistakable truck backup sound and the need for every driver to get it exactly right every time also, with people on board. The only other way to make it seem more seamless would be for all motion with people onboard to be forward motion (i.e., backing in to pick them up and driving into the bay to drop them off). But with a return trip required, it would seem that there would need to be a backing in or out at some point.

Trauma

The other thing that concerns me is that there is a good possibility if what you're seeing on the screens doesn't match up with the movement and turns the truck is making, quite a few people will get motion sick, ie truck is turning left but screen shows going straight or turning right.
Don't worry by this point in the experience you will already be sick from realizing you wasted your money.

Sir_Cliff

I don't think any of the concept art shows any screens, does it? What you describe might be part of the reason for that.

I could see them putting in an orientation video or something like that to hold people's attention during the short ride, or maybe they will just rely on audio. Either way, I suspect their options are limited which is probably why they aren't billing this transportation as a key element of the experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom