News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

durangojim

Exclusive image from inside the transport:
Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 5.06.48 PM.png

Except it'll be figrin d'an and the modal nodes playing instead

I do wonder with a short but relatively curvy ride if motion sickness will be an issue.

mmascari

The bare bones around the exposed door is interesting. Makes you think they will have to have some sort of adjustable extending baffle to get the landing to match up to the door completely and hide the simple aluminum skin.
I've always assumed you'll never see any daylight between the loading area the the vehicle. Either that flat area with something pushed up against it, or the protruding square with a collared connection around it.

I cannot tell from the photos, are there any that show the lower part of the box between the wheels and the floor? Is it possible they installed any motion hydraulics to tilt the box at all? Nothing fast or as complex as a motion ride, but they could create some up and down type motion on the super flat trip to simulate landing and take off. Or, they could do nothing.

They're seriously loading people into the back of a box truck?

I know it's a short trip, but...

It has nothing to do with the exterior for me -- it's more the ride quality, safety, and space for passengers. Box trucks aren't designed to carry human beings in the back.
It's not like it's going on a public road or near any traffic? How much more dangerous could it be than a parking lot tram? We cannot see the wheels, maybe it's a cheap U-Haul frame and all the did was build a set inside it, or maybe it's a more custom box with some extras. Hasn't anyone ever done a hay ride anywhere in a cart towed behind a tractor? Nobody ever complained that those "were not safe" for the ride around the fields.

I believe that's an air conditioner on the roof at least. Maybe it was an old refrigerator truck.

There's no way. I mean, can you imagine driving down the road and seeing a star wars box truck with people in it and going "man, I really want to spend $6k for that experience."
What road? The highway ramp next to the hotel and seeing it through the trees not knowing if it's this or a delivery truck? Or, perhaps cruising through the cast parking area (assuming they don't have a spotter that stops other traffic)?

The distance is so short people were asking about walking it. Nobody is going to ride in the back of this on a public road that will ever see other traffic.

It's not like this the bus that picks you up Disney Springs. They just ignore the loading collar and boarding immersion. Plop down a metal step stool to climb up through the door at Disney Springs. That's why it has to be at the farthest bus stop, so nobody sees the cheap stepstool. 🤣

Artful_Dodger

So, Bob...
If you want to avoid confusion and push the message that this is more like a cruise type of experience, and not a hotel... you may want to inform the people who work at the Google.

12622a.jpg

12622b.jpg

And while we're on the subject of Google... what in the name of all that's holy is this person smoking?
12622c.jpg

ukcatz12

That's fair, I'm pretty sure it's checked for it's road-worthiness.
I'm sure it's road worthy. But box trucks are traditionally loud vehicles with a lot of engine noise and are very rough riding. Choosing that type of vehicle to simulate smooth space flight just doesn't inspire confidence. Seems like the immersion could be broken on this extremely easily.

danv3

I cannot tell from the photos, are there any that show the lower part of the box between the wheels and the floor? Is it possible they installed any motion hydraulics to tilt the box at all? Nothing fast or as complex as a motion ride, but they could create some up and down type motion on the super flat trip to simulate landing and take off. Or, they could do nothing.

Narrator: They did nothing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This reeks of "we realized we have no way of getting a 100 different guest cars into our parking lot in a reasonable amount of time... Ooops... so we will encourage guests to arrive earlier and more random and hope the problem solves itself"

They needed an offsite parking/terminal.. not just valet.

Umm... as was said. If anyone arrives before check in time, they are bussed to Disney Springs.

If you're in a car (you're own or a rental) you could just drive over to DS and hang out until it's check in time.

If you arrive via shuttle or taxi or Uber before check in time (for example, your plane landed in the morning), they take your luggage and bus you to Disney Springs.

BUT... if you arrive in your own car at the right time, it's valet parking.

I think you're overthinking this.

UNCgolf

Is not like it's going on a public road or near any traffic? How much more dangerous could it be than a parking lot tram? We cannot see the wheels, maybe it's a cheap U-Haul frame and all the did was build a set inside it, or maybe it's a more custom box with some extras. Hasn't anyone ever done a hay ride anywhere in a cart towed behind a tractor? Nobody ever complained that those "were not safe" for the ride around the fields.

I thought it was briefly going to be on public roads -- that was a major part of my concern. If not, then there's certainly less of a safety issue.

It still seems like they'd be better off with something that could transport more people at a time but that's a separate issue.

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

I thought it was briefly going to be on public roads -- that was a major part of my concern. If not, then there's certainly less of a safety issue.

It still seems like they'd be better off with something that could transport more people at a time but that's a separate issue.

It briefly crosses one public-ish road, which is the access road to cast parking for DHS.

Just kind of an unmistakable feeling when you're sitting in the back of a truck, no matter the interior. Not exactly the most "space-like" feeling.

Incomudro

I'm sure it's road worthy. But box trucks are traditionally loud vehicles with a lot of engine noise and are very rough riding. Choosing that type of vehicle to simulate smooth space flight just doesn't inspire confidence. Seems like the immersion could be broken on this extremely easily.
I've said a number of times that a bus wouldn't be capable of making guests believe they are flying either.
That's why I hope that bus or truck - this is your ground transport to Black Spire.
You get shuttled down to Batuu, just like you get shuttled up to the Halcyon - and will be shuttled back down to earth at the end of your stay.
All they need to accommodate this is a different video in the shuttle room.
Then, once you're on Batuu, you board this transport vehicle to the Black Spire outpost. This way it can be a bumpy, jostling ride like a bus or truck gives, and not break any illusion.
If I'm wrong, I seriously doubt how they could pull this illusion off.

SWGalaxys_Edge

1/26/22 - NEW NEWS - Just got this information hot off the presses...Regarding the Disney bus station for the Starcruiser.

Guests may come to SWGS at 11am on check-in day. They can drop their luggage, leave their cars. There will be a shuttle to Disney Springs from SWGS and back from 11:00am - 4:00pm on check-in days. That’s why there’s the new bus station.

EeyoreFan#24

Disney may be dumb sometimes, but I don’t think their going to put guests in an unsafe vehicle. I’d bet significant modifications were made to the box for safety we can’t see. Also now they can just rechassis the box when the vehicle gets worn out. It’s common with specialty vehicles (like ambulances) where the chassis gets heavy use, but the box has more life.

Squishy

Disney may be dumb sometimes, but I don’t think their going to put guests in an unsafe vehicle. I’d bet significant modifications were made to the box for safety we can’t see. Also now they can just rechassis the box when the vehicle gets worn out. It’s common with specialty vehicles (like ambulances) where the chassis gets heavy use, but the box has more life.
Nah, they are kidnapping guests with uhauls now

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It has nothing to do with the exterior for me -- it's more the ride quality, safety, and space for passengers. Box trucks aren't designed to carry human beings in the back.

FettFan

#2 is a decent size. Why not build a fully immersive Star Wars park there with 4-5 other planets from the movies and series, BUT make them part of the Galactic Starcruiser experience?

I think guests would be more inclined to pay the higher prices if they knew for sure that they could explore say Coruscant or Tatooine or Nevarro, places that would be off-limits to regular DHS guests.

UNCgolf

#2 is a decent size. Why not build a fully immersive Star Wars park there with 4-5 other planets from the movies and series, BUT make them part of the Galactic Starcruiser experience?

I think guests would be more inclined to pay the higher prices if they knew for sure that they could explore say Coruscant or Tatooine or Nevarro, places that would be off-limits to regular DHS guests.

If they did that, the price for the Starcruiser would probably quadruple (or more).

It just wouldn't be worth building something like that for the very small number of Starcruiser guests without dramatically increasing the price.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom