News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Incomudro

I don't. I expected it to be sold out the first month, that's it. And will never be sold out again. I said that a year ago, and then again several months ago. The cancellations now would have happened even if the promo videos hadn't been bad, even if the virus doesn't exist. People can't afford it. They are just jumping on the wagon when it first came out to be "part of the action", and then cancelling when Disney asks them for full payment.

If it's not a hotel, then what is it? It's not a ride, and it's especially not a cruise ship. It doesn't go anywhere on land or sea, let alone space. And it's not listed among the Disney cruises.
It's a two day experience.
Think of it as a ride, one that you get to sleep, shower and eat in.

Last edited:

Dragonman

Except when you do port of call Batuu and a guest can slip over to Toy Story Land for a quick ride on Slinky Dog. Totally Star Wars Immersive.
Toy Story is canon anyways 😉😂
7A595CC6-DA7A-40C0-B664-D605DA4B92F5.gif

orion54

Except when you do port of call Batuu and a guest can slip over to Toy Story Land for a quick ride on Slinky Dog. Totally Star Wars Immersive.
IMO this whole going to GE to ride the 2 rides is beyond stupid and breaks the immersion 100%. They should have made totally separate ride(s) for the hotel that your upscaled, upcharge of $6k let you ride alone. Either way the whole "experience" sounds like a overpaid LARP and the cutbacks are GE and then expecting to dump those interaction into this hotel seems ill contrived to say the least.

EPCOT-O.G.

Agreed.

While I doubt the failed marketing push of November/December caused 50% cancellations, it's obvious it caused some cancellations. Probably in a 15% to 25% range, if I were to bet a churro on it.

And even a 20% cancellation rate after they start showing highly curated glimpses of the product is catastrophic. Which is why I am convinced there was legitimate and full-scale panic in the halls of Burbank and WDI back in December. They are regrouping and attempting a relaunch strategy they hadn't planned on.

What's unknown is if they are solely blaming the (admittedly super cringey) Marketing Department for the December failure, or if they realize it's the actual product that is at fault. Bad marketing can cause injury to a product, but if the product itself is flawed all the marketing relaunches in the world can't save it.

1958-edsel-citation.jpg
I agree with this completely. Again, the tell is how they’ve completely taken down all of their promotional material for this. It’s a sign of panic, not confidence.

of course, I expect the usual defenders of the “cruise” experience will come out and say that Disney pulled the PR because they’ve been so successful at only having one vacancy a night and they wanted to make sure it’s not overbooked

TP2000

IMO this whole going to GE to ride the 2 rides is beyond stupid and breaks the immersion 100%. They should have made totally separate ride(s) for the hotel that your upscaled, upcharge of $6k let you ride alone. Either way the whole "experience" sounds like a overpaid LARP and the cutbacks are GE and then expecting to dump those interaction into this hotel seems ill contrived to say the least.

You know what I find beyond stupid?

That they would even show all the pre-opening PR as the work of mere humans building a theme hotel in Florida.

The pre-opening PR should have only been in the context of the world they are creating. The PR should have been from the cruise line company itself, not an annoying child actor from an ABC sitcom. That Ann Morrow lady from Glendale should have been unseen and unheard in the PR videos. Only hire actors to be Halcyon cruise directors and passenger service managers to show off the ship and its amenities to potential passengers.

They've not only broken the fourth wall, they bulldozed it down and now want to overshare with us how clever and smart they are for building this fake Star Wars cruise ship hotel in a Florida swamp. Then they show us humans in Covid masks touring the incompleted and oddly generic looking ship. About as "magical" as a popped balloon in a puddle.

2021-wdw-disneys-contemporary-resort-destination-d23-josh-damaro-star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-lightsabler-training9.png

That was a huge mistake, if you ask me. They should have gone the Star Tours circa 1987 route, and pretended the entire thing was real and only communicate to us via employees of Chandrila Star Lines and the fictional world they created. That's worth a few grand per night if you commit 100% to the exotic world you created.

Of course, Star Tours in 1987 didn't have to pull back the curtain via D23 Expo exhibits and YouTube videos, but they still could have handled it the same way.

Pretend the Galactic Starcruiser is real and Chandrila Star Lines is its only spokesman. And for God's sake, leave the perky Imagineers and B List sitcom stars and Cool Dad Executives in skinny jeans and Covid masks out of it entirely.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

That they would even show all the pre-opening PR as the work of mere humans building a theme hotel in Florida.

The pre-opening PR should have only been in the context of the world they are creating. The PR should have been from the cruise line company itself, not an annoying child actor from an ABC sitcom. That Ann Morrow lady from Glendale should have been unseen and unheard in the PR videos. Only hire actors to be Halcyon cruise directors and passenger service managers to show off the ship and its amenities to potential passengers.

They've not only broken the fourth wall, they bulldozed it down and now want to overshare with us how clever and smart they are for building this fake Star Wars cruise ship hotel in a Florida swamp. Then they show us humans in Covid masks touring the incompleted and oddly generic looking ship. About as "magical" as a popped balloon in a puddle.

2021-wdw-disneys-contemporary-resort-destination-d23-josh-damaro-star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-lightsabler-training9.png

That was a huge mistake, if you ask me. They should have gone the Star Tours circa 1987 route, and pretended the entire thing was real and only communicate to us via employees of Chandrila Star Lines and the fictional world they created. That's worth a few grand per night if you commit 100% to the exotic world you created.

Of course, Star Tours in 1987 didn't have to pull back the curtain via D23 Expo exhibits and YouTube videos, but they still could have handled it the same way.

Pretend the Galactic Starcruiser is real and Chandrila Star Lines is its only spokesman. And for God's sake, leave the perky Imagineers and B List sitcom stars and Cool Dad Executives in skinny jeans and Covid masks out of it entirely.

This, 100%.

-

EPCOT-O.G.

This is also a great point. I think current Imagineers are enamored of seeing their names in lights and pulling back the curtain to show how clever they are. I think that detracts from the mystique and grossly undercuts any efforts at immersion. Imagine going to see an illusionist or magic act where they show you how they do the tricks before you buy your ticket.

BrianLo

It's the kind of thing that could hurt their stock price because investors would see it as a massive failure. Overall revenue is mostly irrelevant if it's short of projections.

I wonder what the daily operational costs are. They have to be very high if this is going to be the kind of experience they're promising.

To your point, no this will barely even register. Even if it's a bust it's extremely boutique in the largess of the company.

I think the margins on this thing must be huge. Margins on DCL cruises are gigantic and they actually go somewhere. And likely provide more and better entertainment.

TP2000

This is also a great point. I think current Imagineers are enamored of seeing their names in lights and pulling back the curtain to show how clever they are. I think that detracts from the mystique and grossly undercuts any efforts at immersion. Imagine going to see an illusionist or magic act where they show you how they do the tricks before you buy your ticket.

It's such an idiotic mistake for them to make, since they invented and wrote all these rules about themed entertainment themselves decades ago.

And you're right, it's a problem with the current crop of youngsters. They want to prove on Social Media how cool they are, so they overshare and reveal all their secrets. It ruins their own product before it even opens. They seem to only care about Likes from strangers.

But not only did they make this bonehead mistake their own company rulebook tells them not to, they kept at it and released more videos on YouTube over and over until actual hotel bookings started getting cancelled.

These people currently in charge, from the Imagineers to the Burbank executives, are... not bright. :oops:

UNCgolf

To your point, no this will barely even register. Even if it's a bust it's extremely boutique in the largess of the company.

I think the margins on this thing must be huge. Margins on DCL cruises are gigantic and they actually go somewhere. And likely provide more and better entertainment.

While it won't have any significant effect in a vacuum, it's very much the kind of thing smart investors look at as a reflection on current management. They'll be far more interested in how this performs than something like a new attraction, although you're right that it won't matter the way something like having a couple of Marvel movies fail spectacularly at the box office would. It's just one piece of the puzzle.

Last edited:

TP2000

Which is totally the guest's fault.

During a princess M&G, you can say, hey, ""Cindy"", you sound like you have a Boston accent, are ya from Boston, sweetheart?

Uh... that happens? We've all seen in real life and the photos of the different, um, "aesthetic" (trying to be kind) that WDW Princesses and other face characters have compared to their Disneyland counterparts.

But are there really Cinderella's at WDW talking with Boston accents? New Jersey accents? Any discernible accent?

How tacky.

TikibirdLand

There is a bright side to all of this. At least, I now know WHY Tom Morrow is always being paged in Tomorrowland. His wife (Ann Morrow) took her with him to work and he's run off again to play Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin and ride the People Mover. Had they not done the promo, how would we have ever known?

Fido Chuckwagon

Wait, I thought the hotel guests were getting exclusive access to the land at a time when it is closed off from the rest of the parks. Is this not the case? Lol if so. What the heck are people paying $6,000 for?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom