News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

mergatroid

Even if it's great, how long do you think that level of interactivity and immersion will last? Three months? Six months? A year?
Sadly I have no crystal ball so can't answer that, perhaps years or decades even? It's a new venture for Disney so who knows, if people like it they may decide to keep it as it is. Alternatively they may have already decided to change stories every 6 months or so to freshen it up? Perhaps it will fail, who knows?

I choose not to 'guess' how bad it will be or how it will fail and to tell everyone on here as though I know, as to be perfectly honest I haven't experienced it. That's why I'm not here saying it's the greatest thing ever and worth the money, because I don't know. When it opens we'll find out and those who've spent all this time insisting it's no good will be able to say "I was right", or come up with a reason why they're still right even if visitors love it and it's popular meaning they were wrong.

Last edited:

orion54

I wondered about that, ignoring the calendars in the site, If you call at random and can get booked for a two day “cruise” the day before “departure“ and get a low price to fill a cabin?
I doubt Disney does that. It would be better to eat the cost of room and staff than to have last minute filler discounts. Plus, when word gets out then lots of people will wait until last minute to see if there's a massive discount and not many would book early. It's like the Lexus model in the early 2000s into now, they'd rather sell less cars for more cost than more cars at lower prices. The profit margins are higher and keeps demand high.

orion54

Sadly I have no crystal ball so can't answer that, perhaps years or decades even? It's a new venture for Disney so who knows, if people like it they may decide to keep it as it is. Alternatively they may have already decided to change stories every 6 months or so to freshen it up? Perhaps it will fail, who knows?

I choose not to 'guess' how bad it will be or how it will fail and to tell everyone on here as though I know, as to be perfectly honest I haven't experienced it. That's why I'm not here saying it's the greatest thing ever and worth the money, because I don't know. When it opens we'll find out and those who've spent all this time insisting it's no good will be able to say "I was right", or come up with a reason why they're still right even if visitors love it and it's popular.
You bring up a good point. The level of story telling/interactive scenarios needs to be kept up and refreshed to different ideas in order to maintain interest. The problem with that is given current Disney management and the cheap it out philosophy, I think that's why we're all highly suspect that Disney can do this.

mergatroid

You bring up a good point. The level of story telling/interactive scenarios needs to be kept up and refreshed to different ideas in order to maintain interest. The problem with that is given current Disney management and the cheap it out philosophy, I think that's why we're all highly suspect that Disney can do this.
Indeed. I imagine that they'll have to adapt the storyline to some degree, or have several 'stories' for these cruises. I've never done role play (well maybe at home ;)) but I guess there has to be fluidity to it to get repeat custom? I look at how great The Citizens of Hollywood were at the Studios and think if they have that caliber of actor there, that it could be very entertaining. You don't find those people anywhere though and you don't pay them peanuts, therefore a lot depends on them picking the right people. A little bird tells me that at least one of the Citizens is going to work there, I can guarantee you that she'll be a great addition and will add a little sparkle.

CaptinEO

People working there have already revealed that the role playing and character interaction is very involved with every guest being encouraged to participate with a lot of role play. The complaints about how it looks have been many after the adverts aired. However even a vlogger hammering the visuals has said a person working there has told him about the immersion with actors and even he seemed to think that part sounded good.
I wouldnt trust anything I hear until it opens I guess.

GimpYancIent

I wouldnt trust anything I hear until it opens I guess.
1641395425879.png

Casper Gutman

Indeed. I imagine that they'll have to adapt the storyline to some degree, or have several 'stories' for these cruises. I've never done role play (well maybe at home ;)) but I guess there has to be fluidity to it to get repeat custom? I look at how great The Citizens of Hollywood were at the Studios and think if they have that caliber of actor there, that it could be very entertaining. You don't find those people anywhere though and you don't pay them peanuts, therefore a lot depends on them picking the right people. A little bird tells me that at least one of the Citizens is going to work there, I can guarantee you that she'll be a great addition and will add a little sparkle.
Your argument seems to be that the CMs will try really hard. I’ve never doubted that, and I’ve never seen anyone on these boards doubt it. Disney CMs are, overall, very good. Many (most?) of the CMs at SWL will roleplay with you if you want to. But without incredibly detailed and unique infrastructure and an extremely carefully constructed narrative that interacts closely with that infrastructure, that hardly seems to merit the prices Disney is demanding. After all, as I said, you can roleplay at SWL (and before huge budget cuts, the land was meant to be full of innovative systems and interactive elements that facilitated role play). In fact, I suspect Disney is relying very, very heavily on the excellent CMs making the experience seem worthwhile with little support (although the cast will be paid nothing close to their value to the overpriced endeavor.)

mergatroid

Your argument seems to be that the CMs will try really hard. I’ve never doubted that, and I’ve never seen anyone on these boards doubt it. Disney CMs are, overall, very good. Many (most?) of the CMs at SWL will roleplay with you if you want to. But without incredibly detailed and unique infrastructure and an extremely carefully constructed narrative that interacts closely with that infrastructure, that hardly seems to merit the prices Disney is demanding. After all, as I said, you can roleplay at SWL (and before huge budget cuts, the land was meant to be full of innovative systems and interactive elements that facilitated role play). In fact, I suspect Disney is relying very, very heavily on the excellent CMs making the experience seem worthwhile with little support (although the cast will be paid nothing close to their value to the overpriced endeavor.)
No, my argument is nobody knows how good or bad it will be (including myself) and yet many are declaring it a failure already. I've stated numerous times in this thread that I have no inside knowledge of this new addition and so I'm not saying it's great either. I'm just trying to be fair and point out that nobody here has experienced it yet. I've not posted saying it looks great following the advert and I'm not telling people to book, I've even said I won't be going right from the off.

Some people want it to work but are worried it won't. Some seemingly want it to fail and are seemingly enjoying slating it with no experience of what it is yet. Others may be saying it's fantastic without experiencing it either. Some have an agenda whilst others are being honest about their concerns. Each person will know themselves which category they fall into and why they have their views and that's it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Even if it's great, how long do you think that level of interactivity and immersion will last? Three months? Six months? A year?

The main point of the experience is interactivity.

That's like asking how long it will take for the producers to cut all the songs of a stage musical.

orion54

Fly me down there for a two night test stay and I promise to give an honest review of my experience. I hadn't heard about any of the contest for this, like it mentions in the article.
They've had some in D23 emails and DVC emails. Other I would think are random giveaways by management CMs in the parks. My family was offered to join the Glow with Show test at HS back in the day.

DisneyDreamerxyz

Most of the staff will be CPs....due to lack of available workers. not a bad thing per say but not permanent labor in that most of the opening staff won't be there long once their programs end (most are already on an extension from Fall 21'.

danv3

The main point of the experience is interactivity.

That's like asking how long it will take for the producers to cut all the songs of a stage musical.
I wouldn't trust Chapek with a musical either.

I mean, there's really no doubt that the experience will be less in year 2 than it is in year 1, and less still in year 3. It's axiomatic at this point with Disney.

M:SpilotISTC12

Remember when they said that GE was going to have droids and characters running around? If we are to use GE as any proof of how that turned out, I expect to see a quarter of the amount of what is shown in the concept art for this. There really isn't much in GE sans a few stormtroopers and Rey and Chewie. There is no way that this experience will have more than that.

mergatroid

Remember when they said that GE was going to have droids and characters running around? If we are to use GE as any proof of how that turned out, I expect to see a quarter of the amount of what is shown in the concept art for this. There really isn't much in GE sans a few stormtroopers and Rey and Chewie. There is no way that this experience will have more than that.
Have you experienced it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom