News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Yikes! Came over here to get peoples opinions on Starcruiser. Too much sexism talk. Lame. Going back over that other site, lol.
bye-felicia.gif

kingdead

I think they showed more of the women characters for a practical reason--they're in makeup as aliens. The two men are human, and Disney probably has different actors for different "excursions." If they show the character as portrayed by one of these actors, attendees will be mad that they didn't get the exact one in the promo.

wutisgood

How do you not promote this with a Vader ad, a Skywalker ad, Yoda, heck capitalize off of the Mandalorian craze. R2, 3PO. You know. Actual Star Wars characters.

No. Just give us very bland characters that nobody has any emotional connection with - and set it in a Nickelodeon “Teens in Space” backdrop. And we’re good. That should “sell” us on 6k for 2 nights.

From what I’ve seen over the past few weeks I’m getting a Mystery Science 3000 vibe.
Everyone knows those characters. The blue lady is exclusive!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
people are not blaming them for being women… they are calling out their affirmative action posture to over rotate and try to push females for the sake of gender representation
They didn't go from 20% female representation to 80%. They stopped at 50%.

Last I checked, 50% of the population is female.

But some like to make hay that the jump from 20% to 50% is a 150% increase in female representation!!! Yeah, it's a lot... if you ignore the previous underrepresentation.

flynnibus

Premium Member
They didn't go from 20% female representation to 80%. They stopped at 50%.

Last I checked, 50% of the population is female.

But some like to make hay that the jump from 20% to 50% is a 150% increase in female representation!!! Yeah, it's a lot... if you ignore the previous underrepresentation.

Overall population percentages mean very little in story telling unless you are actually trying to represent the general population.

50% of the world maybe female, but if I'm trying to make a piece about Samari... you won't be winning any 'correct representation' arguments with putting more women as samari.. or as sailors in a WWII ship. Etc.

When you put affirmative action above story - that's when it stands out and usually causes friction. That's what they've done in Star Wars and we know so because they've flat out told us they were intentionally promoting their intents.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Overall population percentages mean very little in story telling unless you are actually trying to represent the general population.

50% of the world maybe female, but if I'm trying to make a piece about Samari... you won't be winning any 'correct representation' arguments with putting more women as samari.. or as sailors in a WWII ship. Etc.

When you put affirmative action above story - that's when it stands out and usually causes friction. That's what they've done in Star Wars and we know so because they've flat out told us they were intentionally promoting their intents.
Sorry, didn't know that galaxy was a men's club in real life.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Notice... She never cites lack of 'accuracy' as motivation.. but rather wanting the female representation both onscreen and in decision making.

"They are really, really making a huge effort across the company to put more focus around casting women and putting women in positions of responsibility, with directing and various other positions inside, different lines of business in the company,” Kennedy says. “It’s not just about casting female protagonists. It’s gotta be across the board throughout the industry.[...]"

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Who knows... but we do know they weren't trying to correct an inbalance, but were in fact trying to instead promote strong female characters and increase representation for the affirmative action angle, not the 'story' angle.
Telling a story of a world where one presumes half the population is female, and then leaving them mostly left out, is, I would say, the true artifice here.

You have to work very hard, or have a very big blind spot, to tell a story and leave out the usual mix of human (and other sentient) beings... unless you want to say, "Hey, look, this society is stupidly patriarchal, just like ours was up until very recently!!"

durangojim

I've only seen three humanoid roles in the PR Disney released in the past month; the Captain, the bartender, and the pre-boarding message from the lady with the dots on her forehead. What are the other two, and what pre-opening videos were they in?

That's exactly my criticism; that Captain doesn't look noble. She looks like a smirky valet parking attendant. In space.

I saw Star Wars in 1977 at the Cinerama Theater in downtown Seattle. It was a very memorable evening because the movie was tremendous. I remember the three people I went with, I remember my friend's giant white 1976 Cadillac we drove downtown in, I remember us crashing for several hours in the Westin lobby cocktail lounge down the block waiting for our showtime, and I remember loving the movie. Other than that fond memory, the Star Wars franchise is not really a part of my life any longer.

But I have never heard that Mrs. Lucas fixed the script for her husband. That's a cute story. But the movie spoke for itself. It was fabulous.

They should probably stop pretending it was created and designed almost exclusively by women then. They need to stop with the forced HR mandates and get some of the men who designed this project into the pre-opening PR so that these ladies don't have their careers ruined by what appears to be a tremendously awful product launch in a few months.

View attachment 608552
Marcia Lucas edited the movie and should be given a lot of credit for the success it achieved. We don’t hear much about her because George effectively erased her from Lucasfilm after the divorce. That is far different than saying that she created the SW world and esthetic. She did not, but she absolutely influenced the first film and helped it become the success it was.

Listen to this podcast if you want more info.

sedati

The original trilogy's lead trio was two men and one woman.
The prequel trilogy's lead trio was two men and one woman.
The sequel trilogy's lead trio of one woman and two men.

Figments Friend

So yeah, this Galactic Starcruiser.

Interested to see and hear more about it when the time comes for more roll outs from marketing.
Maybe some 'damage control' after what seemed to be a poor reaction to the promotional video?
Regardless, I'm wanting to hear more about what other activities and scenic options are contained within.

Also looking forward to the explosion of discussion once the place opens officially and the 'vloggers' and press reps get in there to experience it first hand.
Then we just have to filter through the 'paid shills' to get to someone who gives a honest and non-biased review of the place.

This is going to be a fun spring.
😎

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom