News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

corran horn

I can't wait for the reviews as "It wasn't as bad as the promotional videos potrayed". Huge endorsement for something of that price point.
Everybody who likes it will be accused of thinking that and not saying it anyway so why not?

We asked Disney how transit from another Disney hotel will be handled as we'll be starting our trip at another hotel and transferring and ending our stay at GS. They said it's still to be determined.

I don't get the bridge hate. It literally looks like the aesthetics of the nicer ships (mostly Naboo) that we've seen in the films.

rsm

I don't get the bridge hate. It literally looks like the aesthetics of the nicer ships (mostly Naboo) that we've seen in the films.

Indeed it does! And I think this is part of the fundumentally flawed concept of a "luxury liner" in-world SW experience. Classic SW trilogy is about a bunch of people in the hind-end of space in the middle of a war... IE things are bad. All the time. The SW from the movies that everyone loves is basically about likeable people in filth and misery.

EVERY time SW has branched out to show us corners of the universe where things are new, slick, and clean people basically don't like it. Naboo and Coruscant? "That doesn't look like real SW!". Canto Bite? "That looks like that shiny prequely crap!" The clean shiny end of the SW universe just doesn't connect with people - and this is nothing new. TPM came out 22 years ago... and yet here we are. Disney literally hired the official cinematic universe Lucasfilm design team to design what a cruise ship would look like in SW. And lo and behold it naturally looks like something out of the prequels - and people don't like that. And to add insult to injury, they seem to have done (IMO) a cheap job at even bringing that prequel aesthic to reality.

The only anomoly I can recall would be Cloud City. But that is probably the least infamous location from TOS, IMO. The casual fan probably remembers the dark moody part where Luke lost his arm and that's about it. The Cloud CIty aesthtic really falls into the "generic sci-fi" look.

In-world SW experiences just don't seem to work when its not the grungy hind-end of space stuff we get nostolgic for. And rusty grunge doesn't exactly lend itself to a desirable hotel either.

TikibirdLand

Everybody who likes it will be accused of thinking that and not saying it anyway so why not?

We asked Disney how transit from another Disney hotel will be handled as we'll be starting our trip at another hotel and transferring and ending our stay at GS. They said it's still to be determined.

Hope you enjoy the cruise, Corran! It's not for me, But, I'll be following along to see how this turns out. I hope to hear that, "it wasn't as bad as everyone protrayed". Regardless, it should be good for a lot of youtube videos!

UNCgolf

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have two main issues with it.

One, it looks generic. If you showed someone a picture and said it was for a new Star Trek (or some other sci-fi) experience, would anyone argue? There's no character to it.

Two, it looks cheap. It reminds me of a plastic playset sized up as opposed to real construction for an actual used physical space.

Regardless, I'm not completely writing this off. I think the bridge looks bad, and the hallway was an absolute embarrassment, but there's plenty that we haven't seen.

Last edited:

Buried20KLeague

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have two main issues with it.

One, it looks generic. If you showed someone a picture and said it was for a new Star Trek (or some other sci-fi) experience, would anyone argue with that? There's no character to it.

Two, it looks cheap. It looks like a plastic playset sized up as opposed to real construction for an actual used physical space.

Regardless, I'm not completely writing this off. I think the bridge looks bad, and the hallway was an absolute embarrassment, but there's plenty that we haven't seen.

totally. I mean…. Why would they showcase the good stuff on the first promotional videos?? It’s standard operating procedure to show the most mediocre stuff when you’re giving a first peek to the public of something you’re gonna ask $6k for two nights for…

oh wait. Lol

there are few to none majorly impressive elements to experience here. If there were, they’d have teased them. The fact they’ve shown what they’ve shown is… an issue.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

there are few to none majorly impressive elements to experience here. If there were, they’d have teased them. The fact they’ve shown what they’ve shown is… an issue.

Oh I agree -- if I was on the fence about doing this, there's no way I'd go based on what they've shown thus far.

I don't think it means people can't still have fun and enjoy themselves on it, though. It doesn't look remotely worth the money to me, but I'm not rooting for people to have a bad time and/or feel like they've wasted their money. I hope the people that go love it.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Indeed it does! And I think this is part of the fundumentally flawed concept of a "luxury liner" in-world SW experience. Classic SW trilogy is about a bunch of people in the hind-end of space in the middle of a war... IE things are bad. All the time. The SW from the movies that everyone loves is basically about likeable people in filth and misery.

No, the view people see in EP4 is basically the badlands... It's the outer rim.. it's the area outside the empire's firm grip. It's the 'wild west' - It is not representative of the Star Wars galaxy as a whole. The empire is facing a rebellion - it is not 'in the middle of a war'. The Clone Wars was the galaxy conflict. This is just a rebellion with pockets of resistance.

This constant 'star wars is meant to be grimy' stuff is so far off base... stop misusing information. Star Wars was meant to have 'used' spaces and feels.. not necessarily purity fantasy.

But when you look at all the military spaces (including in the OT) you see they are highly maintained and cleaned. The galaxy isn't dingy - the outer rim is just backwoods.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What's interesting...I look on the Unreal Engine marketplace (where people can download assets for video games) and can find a random spaceship interior that looks more Star Wars than the Starcruiser...this one for example:

And video games don't have real people in them or real building or safety codes either :)

rsm

No, the view people see in EP4 is basically the badlands... It's the outer rim.. it's the area outside the empire's firm grip. It's the 'wild west' - It is not representative of the Star Wars galaxy as a whole. The empire is facing a rebellion - it is not 'in the middle of a war'. The Clone Wars was the galaxy conflict. This is just a rebellion with pockets of resistance.

This constant 'star wars is meant to be grimy' stuff is so far off base... stop misusing information. Star Wars was meant to have 'used' spaces and feels.. not necessarily purity fantasy.

But when you look at all the military spaces (including in the OT) you see they are highly maintained and cleaned. The galaxy isn't dingy - the outer rim is just backwoods.
I don’t think you read what I wrote, as I don’t disagree with you.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don’t think you read what I wrote, as I don’t disagree with you.

Your opening premise is wrong - "Classic SW trilogy is about a bunch of people in the hind-end of space in the middle of a war... IE things are bad. All the time. The SW from the movies that everyone loves is basically about likeable people in filth and misery."

Ok, so you say the luke/leia/han crew is the above... yet the star wars universe is much more than that. If you want to say "what does random lay aunt lucy remember and like about star wars..." -- You aren't going to hear her say "well, it just looked so real and lived in... ". People remember the empiral spaces far more than anyone remembers the inside of a sandcrawler or uncle ben's shop.

matt9112

'Galaxy's Edge is a failure - no one is going" - seems I recall naysayers there too, yet...

View attachment 606780

Just because something is busy dosen't make it the best it just means its successful at making money. Mcdonalds is not great food but its successful is it not? Disney wants to make really expensive cheeseburgers. Star wars land was the oddest opening i had ever been too. Its a star wars themed store....the entire thing.

lazyboy97o

Then they can update it. The ship is basically the stage. The play and the players can be altered easily enough. New decor, tech, and experiences while costly, won't seem as costly if timed with normal refurb needs that go into even a standard operating hotel.
Disney does major refurbs where they reconfigure spaces about every 14 years. Not exactly a nimble timeframe. Anything being used is essentially built to be permanent.
But movie sets do and in the opening scene of the original Star Wars film there were no exit signs on that hallway.
No, they do not. Movie sets are filled with all sorts of things not allowed in real buildings.
The exit sign isn't the problem with that hallway (and is likely required due to OSHA regulations).
Not OSHA, but the EPCOT Building Code, Florida Building Code and Florida Fire Prevention Code. There are also real windows in the rooms because they are required.

JoeCamel

'Galaxy's Edge is a failure - no one is going" - seems I recall naysayers there too, yet...

View attachment 606780

Just because something is busy dosen't make it the best it just means its successful at making money. Mcdonalds is not great food but its successful is it not? Disney wants to make really expensive cheeseburgers. Star wars land was the oddest opening i had ever been too. Its a star wars themed store....the entire thing.
The addition of GE did not produce the expected bump in attendance or revenue. It failed the expectations

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom