News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

CinematicFusion

Despite all the complaints, the hotel is still fully booked for the first 4 months. So for the people who are going, the trailer videos aren't enough to make them cancel. They like the luxury experience with a SW theme. It's like going to a spa where you get pampered. I've never understood spas, it looks so boring. But spas are popular because people like it.

I’m hoping it’s a huge success.
What I’ve seen so far looks terrible. Not the art work, that looked great, the realization of the art work so far looks terrible.

Incomudro

Despite all the complaints, the hotel is still fully booked for the first 4 months. So for the people who are going, the trailer videos aren't enough to make them cancel. They like the luxury experience with a SW theme. It's like going to a spa where you get pampered. I've never understood spas, it looks so boring. But spas are popular because people like it.
Disney has so far indicated no spa like pampering on the Halcyon.
No one is hoping it tanks.

I would say majority of viewers on this board and content creators on YouTube are embarrassed by Disney’s hype video. It’s made the entire hotel look embarrassingly underwhelming.

Everyone has a view and you seem to like what has been shown so far. That’s cool.

What is it that is getting you excited for this hotel? What makes you want to pay 6000.00 for the experience?

When first announced I was excited but now it looks very underwhelming for 6000.00 for a family of 4 and just two nights.
1. lightsaber looks lame
2. Bridge looks lame
3. Bar looked cool but I’m not sold on the main event.
4. Already have been to galaxy’s edge and that’s seems like a huge focal point of the experience.
5. Rooms at first glance feel claustrophobic for 6000.00.

Now all this could change.
1. Maybe Disney hasn’t revealed it’s main attractions and lightsaber, bridge, bar scene is all secondary activities.
2. Maybe guest experience new areas in Galaxy Edge only reserved for hotel stays.

we will find out after reviews start to hit from real families and fans. Not sure I can trust the influencers that will have booked first two weeks.
But there's also a card game.

Wendy Pleakley

I don't hope it tanks but I do hope it's better than it looks based on what we've seen. I do want Disney to push what they offer in terms of unique "only at Disney" experiences.

I said before I miss things like the Adventurer's Club, where you could have an experience and walk out thinking wow, I can't do anything like that at home. Now, Disney Springs is just shopping and dining. It has lost that uniqueness and specialness.

I'm not thrilled that this type of experience is only for a select few. Where are the experiences for people who can't drop $5000+ on a two-night experience? I'd like to see an "affordable" version where you board a starship for a four-hour roleplaying experience, for example.

Last edited:

corran horn

the ship was designed to be a flex stage where many props can be swapped out, the digital window media can be swapped out, etc. in the future they’re going to offer weeks of Marvel cruises with transportation to future world/Xandar to expand the appeal of the hotel outside of just Star Wars fans
Boy, wouldn't that be something. Be a bit of a longer shuttle ride from EPCOT but hey...

OceanBlue

I would argue that they're showing they don't give a rat's behind about their long-term Disney fans, either. Middle class family with 4 kids that regularly went to Disney with Grandma and Grandpa? Now priced out...that's three generations who are now soured to the brand.
I don't understand this. My parents started going to WDW the year it opened and couldn't afford to stay onsite, let alone at the Poly or Contemporary. We first stayed at all star sports and then 15 years later after my mom worked her way up the corporate ladder we stayed at the Grand Floridian the first time. They never made me feel soured on the brand when I was young because we couldn't stay at the fancy hotel, eat in Cinderella's Castle, or buy me the fancy dresses or castle sets. My dad drove in the dark home after a long day visiting. WDW is visited by millions of people on different budgets. A very small few will beable to "voyage" on the Starcruiser. So are you priced out of going to Disney, or priced out of the Starcruiser? This was always the case. Now when I take my kids, I buy them the balloon that wasn't in the budget when I was 7.

sedati

Where's the luxury? I'm not seeing it, especially (and I mean especially) at this price point. I'm also not seeing any correlation to a spa experience.
Was it ever officially called a luxury resort? It's an expensive experience, but I have never thought of it as a luxury one. Honestly, interactive and luxury aren't really even compatible. There's something distancing about the concept of luxury, and this is a group event.

ImperfectPixie

I don't understand this. My parents started going to WDW the year it opened and couldn't afford to stay onsite, let alone at the Poly or Contemporary. We first stayed at all star sports and then 15 years later after my mom worked her way up the corporate ladder we stayed at the Grand Floridian the first time. They never made me feel soured on the brand when I was young because we couldn't stay at the fancy hotel, eat in Cinderella's Castle, or buy me the fancy dresses or castle sets. My dad drove in the dark home after a long day visiting. WDW is visited by millions of people on different budgets. A very small few will beable to "voyage" on the Starcruiser. So are you priced out of going to Disney, or priced out of the Starcruiser? This was always the case. Now when I take my kids, I buy them the balloon that wasn't in the budget when I was 7.
Because where a family could go on a once a year trip, stay onsite at a value, etc. etc....the same trip now costs almost twice as much. A lot of families can't afford that kind of price hike...and if the adults are angry about it, you can guarantee that as the kids grow up and start asking why the Disney trips stopped, they'll hear why.

ETA: Maybe you need to think about this whole situation for a little while. Not everyone is lucky enough to get raises every year or even semi-reliably. Wages have been stagnant since the 1970s for the majority of Americans.

Last edited:

kingdead

That has definitely been the case--friend has not so fond memories of eating goldfish crackers all day while walking around the parks so mom could afford it. That said, the prices of things have gone up while wages have not--my friend is technically better off than her mom was, but she is much more concerned about spending money on things like vacations with the kids because cost of living is so much higher. (They also never made it to the Grand Floridian bracket, so maybe the memories aren't as sweet!) It's just a completely different mentality about value.

corran horn

Because where a family could go on a once a year trip, stay onsite at a value, etc. etc....the same trip now costs almost twice as much. A lot of families can't afford that kind of price hike...and if the adults are angry about it, you can guarantee that as the kids grow up and start asking why the Disney trips stopped, they'll hear why.

ETA: Maybe you need to think about this whole situation for a little while. Not everyone is lucky enough to get raises every year or even semi-reliably. Wages have been stagnant since the 1970s for the majority of Americans.
Disney experiences have always been gated by money. Always. There were always people looking between the gate bars. I know. I was one watching as my cousins went in the 80s and I never did. This has broken some threshold?

Wendy Pleakley

I don't think comparing the Star Cruiser to visiting WDW in general is particularly useful or fair.

WDW is accessible to lots of people at varying price points. No, not everyone, but there's low budget options (staying at a dive hotel and taking a shuttle, not getting Genie+), moderate options (lower end WDW resorts), and high end options (monorail resort, upcharge extra hours events, VIP tours, lightning lane, etc.).

Whether one has a low end or high end visit to WDW, they still get to have, for the most part, a comparable experience to everyone else. When we look at the core WDW experience, i.e. spending four days at the theme parks, it is accessible to a large number of people at varying price points.

The Star Cruiser is is a very separate experience. There's no comparable alternative or budget version for people who cannot afford it.

UNCgolf

I don't think comparing the Star Cruiser to visiting WDW in general is particularly useful or fair.

WDW is accessible to lots of people at varying price points. No, not everyone, but there's low budget options (staying at a dive hotel and taking a shuttle, not getting Genie+), moderate options (lower end WDW resorts), and high end options (monorail resort, upcharge extra hours events, VIP tours, lightning lane, etc.).

Whether one has a low end or high end visit to WDW, they still get to have, for the most part, a comparable experience to everyone else. When we look at the core WDW experience, i.e. spending four days at the theme parks, it is accessible to a large number of people at varying price points.

The Star Cruiser is is a very separate experience. There's no comparable alternative or budget version for people who cannot afford it.

The recent changes have had a significant effect on this, I think. If you're staying off-site I think it's much harder to have a comparable experience to people staying on-site (elimination of rope drop, ILL sold out before they even have a chance to buy one), and the same is true with Genie+/ILL purchases in general that are potentially too much added daily expense for large families.

There are now people who have no ability to ride the headliner attractions without spending a third of their day waiting in line, whereas other guests do have options.

Wendy Pleakley

The recent changes have had a significant effect on this, I think. If you're staying off-site I think it's much harder to have a comparable experience to people staying on-site (elimination of rope drop, ILL sold out before they even have a chance to buy one), and the same is true with Genie+/ILL purchases in general that are potentially too much added daily expense for large families.

There are now people who have no ability to ride the headliner attractions without spending a third of their day waiting in line, whereas other guests do have options.

Yeah, there's definitely varying degrees of the WDW experience depending on one's means, and the gap certainly appears to be widening, but every guest still gets to go on the same rides and have the same experiences, it just means they may get to do less overall in a given day.

The Star Cruiser is more black and white. You either do it, or you don't/can't do it.

zombiebbq

Was it ever officially called a luxury resort? It's an expensive experience, but I have never thought of it as a luxury one. Honestly, interactive and luxury aren't really even compatible. There's something distancing about the concept of luxury, and this is a group even
I'm just responding to LovePop's assertion it is a luxury experience. I agree that luxury and this type of interactive experience aren't necessarily compatible...but then lower the cost Disney! The cost is what bothers me the most. I haven't seen one shred of evidence this is worth the $5K plus asking price.

And to those saying none of us want to see it tank? yeah, I kinda do want to see it do poorly. Not because I want to see anyone lose their jobs, but because the arrogance of Disney upper management has been on full display for years now and they need to be brought down a few pegs.

corran horn

This happened when 'extra magic hours' became a thing.

GimpYancIent

You mean no getting a non children authorized body massage by a slave alien girl? D:
Could be interesting.
1639003340353.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom